• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are your 2023 collecting goals?
3 3

100 posts in this topic

I've been think about this a little more. In 2023 I want to focus my spending on key books (older stuff) and spend less on modern (current) books. Focus on quality over quantity. And I seriously need to sell off my more common, newer books from my collection. I am running out of space to put everything!

1. Hopefully finally get my DD 131 back from CGC.

2. Read a trade a month (read eight in ‘22). 

3. Sell off more of my ever-shrinking collection. 

4. 5.0 (or higher) DD 7.

5. Make a pilgrimage with my son to A1 Comics in Sacramento. 

Edited by alexanderjk

My most realistic goal would be finally pulling the trigger on 2000+ mylite/fullbacks from eGerber and re-bagging my entire collection.  Maybe finalize organizing my collection which would include creating labels for dividers.

This might actually be the year I stop with monthly subscriptions as my interest has waned as there are fewer and fewer titles/events that I'm interested in.

Otherwise, continue the long-term/multi-year goal of saving up for AF15 and Jim Lee Hush OA.

I would like to add one more really nice GA book. Not sure which one. Will depend on auctions.

I'd like one 9.0+ early ASM. I got ASM 6 in 9.0 last year, I'd like to add another one this year.

ASM 300. Been looking at my 9.6 forever wishing it was a 9.8. Might try to make that happen.

Continue saving extra money for a IH 1 and AF 15 (one day!). I knocked off Avengers 1, ToS 39, Sgt Fury 1, and Strange Tales 110 (Stan Lee SS), and a nice high grade (9.2) FF 48 last year, which I added to my poorly purchased (2021 purchases - they won;t be worth what I paid for them again for years) X-Men 1 and DD 1. I am close to having the SA books I truly covet covered, and I have saved the two biggest until the end. I'd also love to upgrade the aforementioned DD 1 and X-Men 1 one day, but that day is probably not in 2023.

This year I just want to read a lot of books.

I hope to buy very little this year. I'm still looking for an X-Men 141 CGC SS 9.8 Signed Stan Lee & Chris Claremont.

If I can only buy that book, and not others that I get distracted with... that would be awesome. That being said, probably not going to happen though.

On 1/4/2023 at 10:35 AM, D2 said:

This year I just want to read a lot of books.

I hope to buy very little this year. I'm still looking for an X-Men 141 CGC SS 9.8 Signed Stan Lee & Chris Claremont.

If I can only buy that book, and not others that I get distracted with... that would be awesome. That being said, probably not going to happen though.

Yes!  I always have grand illusions that it's going to be a light purchasing year.  Between the auction notifications, local cons, and these boards, there's too much exposure for me to ignore the buying compulsion.  I like to think that I at least buy books that will go up in value.  I would probably spend it on something else anyway...

1) Read 600 comics (read 454 last year).

2) Move at least 3 books closer to completing my Peak Kirby FF run (#44-67 plus Annual 6). Only 7 away (2022 goal was a FF 52, which I picked up).

3) Finish my current cull (got about 3/4 done in 2022).

4) Resume grading and pricing my collection (stopped doing this in 2021).

5) Marvel Premiere 9-14, Doc Strange Vol 2 #1, and a couple of random run fillers.

On 1/1/2023 at 2:57 AM, LowGradeBronze said:

Make just one more discovery of something BA or SA out there in the wild. I'm sick of so called retro or collectors markets with overpriced & overgraded bronze & silver. 

What a great goal. The days of excitement of finding a pile of books in an old box are all but extinct.

On 12/27/2022 at 9:16 PM, universal soldier said:

1) Finish my ASM run of 1 - today including Annuals/KS/GS. Down to three  two issues (carry over from 2022).

2) Complete the following runs:

FF 40 - 300 (Need 39)

Incredible Hulk 102 - 250 (Need 24)

3) Make headway into Iron Man, DareDevil and JIM/Thor. Runs in varying states.

4) Sell some books! Really need to have a sales thread in 2023. Likely start with my ASM dupes. :wishluck:

:banana:

IMG_8870.thumb.JPG.d28941b931a144513a5b675f31947d96.JPG

Bronze and silver minor keys I've never owned before. 

If I want something I usually don't find it or pay thru the nose.

If I'm mah! With a book I usually come across one pick it up like at a bargain or way lower then FMV.

2022 I came across a HOS 92 though I think Swamp thing is a cool character I'm not a avid fan and when one was offered to me at half FMV I pulled the trigger.

It's a different collecting mindset I have, yet it seems to get me cool books I'm not actively chasing for a song so it works for me.