• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would You Rather Have (1) $30,000 Comic or (300) $100 Comics
8 8

92 posts in this topic

On 1/14/2023 at 4:41 PM, LadyDeath said:

Yeah I see that now! At least it's a Schomburg cover. :wink: But man, these people on Heritage are something else.

I was guessing (and it was a pretty uneducated guess - since I have very limited experience watching that book) that it was going to go a little higher than $15k. Yowza. However, the guy who had $25k to throw at that book? Congrats - that's one of the coolest covers in Golden Age.

On 1/14/2023 at 5:26 PM, KCOComics said:

1 $30k book. 

Books you really want worth around $100, you can pretty much buy at any time. A $30k Hulk 1, you can't. Give me the Hulk 1 

Maybe it depends on the stage/level of the collector, or how long a person wants to go between buying comics.  I'm in the Still Having Fun or Just Getting Started stage of the hobby.

On 1/15/2023 at 3:31 PM, Poekaymon said:

There aren't even 100 $100 books that I want, so I will take the 30k.  In fact, I'd take a single 25k over 30k in 100s.

$100 doesn’t buy much these days. I could make 60 $500 books work though :takeit:

On 1/14/2023 at 6:33 PM, Dr. Balls said:

What about 30,000 $1 comics?

Screen Shot 2023-01-14 at 4.34.04 PM.png

Or 60,000 fitty centers :takeit:

I like this question, but it goes against what I believe is good collecting mentality. 

Not to take this into a serious direction with legitimately funny replies…

But I tried collecting for money/investing. 
I tried collecting, strictly with what I like, dispelling any monetary influences (which is near difficult for me). 

I am still a strong believer in: collect what you love. but. you are best off collecting what you like, in CGC graded books, in the hopes that if you DO plan on selling anything off, then at least you’ll get a fair market price for them. 

In respect to OP’s topic, prices go up and prices go down. If I bought a book for 30k and the price dropped down to 25k, I’d be stressed. So even though I’d love a 30k book, in my heart of hearts, I’d struggle with the pressure of it.