• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seven Seas 4 or 6 Which Do You Prefer?
4 4

102 posts in this topic

On 1/20/2023 at 2:10 PM, Jayman said:

#6 by a mile! Great action pose and nice composition with the waterfall over the ship. The 4 just has a clumsy pose that looks odd to me. Regardless of the shark.

Totally agree.

These are not my focus per se but I like 6 much more. 

On 1/20/2023 at 7:34 AM, buttock said:

I like 6 for the color scheme.  About 8 years ago I was at SDCC looking at John Verzyl's booth and a friend was deliberating over the 9.4 Mile High at $5K.  It took every ounce of restraint not to just jump in front of him and take it, which he eventually did.  

On 1/20/2023 at 8:48 AM, Yorick said:

#6 has the better color spread.  2c

On 1/20/2023 at 12:14 PM, adamstrange said:

The rainbow coloration of the waterfall is mighty purty.

You guys sure do have good taste and that's the EXACT reason why I went looking for a copy of Seven Seas 6 back in the day.  :luhv:

Ending up talking to a dealer who said that he didn't have have a copy of SS 6 at the moment, but did have a nice copy of Seven Seas 4 if I wanted that instead.  After thinking about it for awhile, decided to take the Seven Seas 4 as I figured it would be a good placeholder until I did eventually find a copy of Seven Seas 6 for my collection.  :wishluck:

Rather ironically and some 30 years later, I now have the first 5 issues of Seven Seas, but still no SS 6 and I have now resigned to the fact that I will never have one in my collection given the price point at which they are currently selling for.   :(

On 1/20/2023 at 10:34 AM, MrBedrock said:

Interesting. #4 was also my favorite....until I saw your copy of #6. The colors on that book are ridiculous!

Would you happen to be referring to this copy here by any chance that sold for some $25K back in 2017 and would surely go for a whole heck of a lot more today:  :cloud9:  :takeit:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/732560

sev1.81a.jpg

Edited by lou_fine

On 1/21/2023 at 8:14 AM, jimjum12 said:

It's not even a question for me, in fact, I prefer number 3 over 4. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Hi Jimbo. Do you know if Baker did the cover for #3? Don't think so but I've never been sure. I do love that cover though. 

Edited by Professor K
I meant 3 not 4

I like #6, but I've always preferred #4. I acquired a copy through Greg Manning Auctions back in 2001 and still own it. I can't really articulate a reason for the preference except to say that #6 just never wowed me the way #4 did.

1407211144431.jpg

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 1/21/2023 at 4:49 PM, Professor K said:

Hi Jimbo. Do you know if Baker did the cover for #3? Don't think so but I've never been sure. I do love that cover though. 

It reminds me of many of his earlier covers, his style was still evolving and like most artists, early on he was incorporating influences in his work. I'm no expert, by any means, but I would certainly consider the possibility. GOD BLESS... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 1/21/2023 at 1:59 PM, lou_fine said:

Would you happen to be referring to this copy here by any chance that sold for some $25K back in 2017 and would surely go for a whole heck of a lot more today:  :cloud9:  :takeit:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/732560

sev1.81a.jpg

No

On 1/21/2023 at 6:46 PM, adamstrange said:

No

That's too bad as there's generally nothing ever better than to have a Church copy of a book in your personal collection.  :cloud9:

Then again, I guess it's not real surprise since Jon Berk said tht collectors of yesterday like even him would not be able to acquire many of their treasured books in today's marketplace. :frown:

BTW:  Since you are clearly one of the long time collectors on these boards here, do you know there whereabouts or have you ever seen the Church copies of books like Seven Seas 4 and Seven Seas 5, or even any of the rest of the run?  Just wondering since they must be true beauties to behold as they were all listed to being in NM+ condition (save for SS 2& SS 6 in NM) in Chuck's original Mile High catalogue.  hm

On 1/21/2023 at 5:14 AM, jimjum12 said:

It's not even a question for me, in fact, I prefer number 3 over 4. GOD BLESS...

On 1/21/2023 at 1:49 PM, Professor K said:

That's definitely interesting and runs rather contra to most collector's opinion here and enough to make me go take a look at the cover for SS 3:  hm

Golden Age (1938-1955):Adventure, Seven Seas Comics #3 The Promise Collection Pedigree (Universal Phoenix Feature, 1947) CGC NM+ 9.6 Off-white to white pages....

To each their own, but given the cover image for Seven Seas 3, I would personally prefer the Seven Seas 5 with the much larger, closer up, and more classic image of the Seven Seas Girl over the SS 3 myself:  :luhv:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Adventure, Seven Seas Comics #5 The Promise Collection Pedigree (Universal Phoenix Feature, 1947) CGC NM 9.4 White pages....

On 1/22/2023 at 2:10 PM, lou_fine said:

That's definitely interesting and runs rather contra to most collector's opinion here and enough to make me go take a look at the cover for SS 3:  hm

Golden Age (1938-1955):Adventure, Seven Seas Comics #3 The Promise Collection Pedigree (Universal Phoenix Feature, 1947) CGC NM+ 9.6 Off-white to white pages....

To each their own, but given the cover image for Seven Seas 3, I would personally prefer the Seven Seas 5 with the much larger, closer up, and more classic image of the Seven Seas Girl over the SS 3 myself:  :luhv:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Adventure, Seven Seas Comics #5 The Promise Collection Pedigree (Universal Phoenix Feature, 1947) CGC NM 9.4 White pages....

For Seven Seas 3 and 5, Baker had a lot of help.  My guess is Robert Webb on the inking and probably background for 3, and Webb again on the 5 for the male figures and background inking/assist.

Edited by adamstrange

On 1/22/2023 at 1:10 PM, lou_fine said:

#3 certainly looks like the early Baker c. 1944-45. Weird that they would pull that out of the archive and publish it in the same sequence as his 1947 covers.

On 1/20/2023 at 8:00 AM, ThothAmon said:

The GGA on both covers is first rate but the cleft lip on the shark always throws me. For that reason I prefer # 6. Anyone disagree? The 4 depicted just sold for over $25k at HA and the 6 is in my collection. 

34218782-B510-423F-811C-E32E3EF68EAA.jpeg

D2A6880A-E505-4770-9673-6D4A6FAFAB26.jpeg

I love how he drew the lady in #4, but yeah, that cleft-lip shark has me closing one eye. lol.  I'm impressed by the lady in #6 though.  She's apparently got the strength of a gorilla.