• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

9.8 vs other grades
4 4

83 posts in this topic

On 3/14/2023 at 9:08 PM, xriddx said:

I understand the rarity argument, but for collecting why does one go for such high grades? 

Depends on what you're collecting, I suppose. I'm perfectly happy with a NM+ raw modern book - there are so many high grade modern raws out there, I just don't feel the need to buy a 9.8 anymore. I'll buy a 9.2 or 9.4 and crack it out and feel just fine about it. I used to aim solely for 9.8s in my moderns, but that has changed over time for me.

When I was into 9.8s, the theory for me was that was the best way to retain it's future value - then again, I was collecting those way before the stimmy money comic book run-up, so the vast multiples from 9.6 to 9.8 wasn't what it is now. Nowadays, I'll probably never bother with another 9.8 again unless it's such a good deal I can't pass it up.

Edited by Dr. Balls

Perfectly happy with a book with nice presentation, regardless of the sticker grade.  Found many in the 9.0-and-up range.

For the OP, though, ultra high grade chasing has a degree of obsessive-compulsive disorder and / or elitism associated with it. Mine, I suppose, is an alternative manifestation of the former;  a focus on a minty-looking appearance from the outside, with what’s viewable through the thick plastic of the slab, and at the lowest grade price.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 3/14/2023 at 11:23 PM, Lightning55 said:

People see the 9.8 copy selling higher and faster, so even though it's for their personal collection, future resale value could be a driver in that purchasing decision.

This is it for me... I buy 9.8s of the specific things I collect, especially with Copper and Modern books. Although the intent of collecting these is not resale, the fact that the 9.8 market commands such premiums generally makes them a good way to preserve my initial investment/outlay.

With lower grades, and especially with Gold, Silver and Bronze books, prices vary much more widely. Because of this, I'll grab things in a range of grades if there's a deal to be had. In this case, volatility can be a good thing. Silver Age keys in 5.5 always seem to be a good bet...

On 3/15/2023 at 5:54 PM, grendel013 said:

I always thought the formula was buy the book regardless of grade IF the price is right. From that point on, upgrade when possible so long as that price is fair AND you have an avenue to trade or sell your current copy without losing money reselling.

On certain runs, I wouldn't want a graded book lower than 9.something. So even a great deal on an 8.0 does not attract me. I don't need to add the work of upgrading. I'll just wait for something that is a better fit.

On 3/16/2023 at 12:47 PM, valiantman said:

Generally speaking, 9.8 is the grade where people can always stop "spending time" looking for a better copy.

the premium that people pay for CGC 9.8 is usually a reflection of the "finality" of getting that book off the want list, and not having to spend more time looking for one.  

This is very true, from a collector mentality, this hits the note. 

I would like to know, volatility rates of grades, and which grades seem most stable and predictable. 

All grades go up and go down, some spike etc, but from an ROI perspective, which seem to be the safest. 

On 3/15/2023 at 8:27 AM, seanlinc said:

What I really don't get is the vast price difference between 9.8s and 9.6s as you could slap a 9.8 on a 9.6 or viceversa and 90% of collectors couldn't tell the difference. 

This 

This was my point. I see even bigger difference between a 9.0 to a 9.8.  It's like it goes up exponentially (like a bubble ) in value from a 9.0 price to a 9.8 price.  And if you think about it the differences aren't that big.  It's just a few spine tics, maybe a small corner ding etc.

For instance on one comic I'm looking at the price of a sold 9.8 (during the 2022 mania peak) it shows as $50k price.  Then you see 9.0s going for about $5k during that time.  This is a price difference of 10 times for some slight variations of issues with the books condition.

I dont understand the big difference, even when you take into 'account scarcity' due to census count of the 9.8 vs 9.0 in this case was only hundreds of census differences.  Also census counts aren't exact as there might be people holding comics that aren't graded...

I love 9.6s that have zero visible flaws.

I had great success finding them in 2019 / 2020.

I put together a gorgeous Walking Dead run of issues 1 - 10 & 19... most in 9.6 / 9.8 and they all look flawless to the naked eye.

The past few years, not so much.

In fact, Im finding it hard to even find a 9.8 without flaws these days.

I tried buying older slabs but many of the books in the old slabs have SCS.