• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gerber's Photo Journal Guide to Comic Books Vol. 1,2
3 3

154 posts in this topic

On 4/14/2023 at 1:28 PM, Professor K said:

Hey! I read that part in the preface about how he began his Mylar bag business. He constructed 23 prototype bags before he got it right in 1979. Off topic question but anyone know how well current CGC holders protect from UV light?  I wonder if Gerber Mylite 2's or 4's do a better job. I was thinking about putting my slabs in legal size Mylites. Edit: Just found this thread. https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/164782-visual-guide-to-mylar-sizes/#comments

Last I knew, neither CGC slabs nor standard mylar bags protect against UV.  Long ago, Gerber did create and sell UV protected mylar as a premium product.  I still have some.

There have been some discussions in the OA Forum long ago about how good UV protection is.  The answer back then was that it is very limited, and that enough UV light gets through UV Glass/Plastic to fade art or comics if exposed long enough.

On 4/14/2023 at 7:37 AM, Robot Man said:

Probably the most engrossed I ever got in a book.

Still use it.

Along with the Overstreet guide, the two most important contributions to the hobby.

Agreed. 

I got my two Photo Journal Guides from an LCS back in the nineties, and I just couldn't get enough of their content, poring over them many nights in a row. 

Along with Overstreet for a bit more in depth information, the two must-have tomes for any serious GA collector.

On 4/14/2023 at 1:09 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

@sfcityduck and @Robot Man, if I understand you right,  Gerber made no profit off the photojournals, and instead the labor, production and marketing costs came out of his pocket?  Or, to be more precise, the widow's pocket?  I hope I'm not hearing this right.

I said nothing of the kind. I have no idea if he made a profit or not. I simply identified Rick Durrell and stated I had heard a rumor about his purchase of Rick’s books. Those involved are no longer with us so the true story will probably be never known for sure. 

On 4/14/2023 at 11:30 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

lol You're looking at the wrong cos-players! :baiting:

BTW, my copies of the Steranko Histories (oversized PB ...approx. 11 X 17... purchased in the early 70's from Supergraphics)...

Vol. I (B/F)

Image4-14-23at1_06AM.jpeg.fdc51503bcfcca90a763720d4b9d5f22.jpeg Image4-14-23at1_05AM.jpeg.55463151c739e5a1d6f5948443ce68ef.jpeg

Vol II (B/F)

Image4-14-23at1_04AM.jpeg.f668b7d4e7c0cb01256b4d8e087de8e6.jpeg Image4-14-23at1_03AM.jpeg.edbf562a4ff4172be36037b84eb236cc.jpeg

IMO, these are must haves on a collector's GA journey (providing a lively summarization of various characters & publishers) (thumbsu

These are still obtainable in reprint form from some sources (Google or Amazon); give or take around 100 pages each.

:cheers:

Wyomissing, PA. My brother said you got screwed but they showed up six months later…

On 4/14/2023 at 11:41 AM, Robot Man said:

The collector on the left was Rick Durrell. The other guy was Burt Blum who ran the comics part of Cherokee. Rick was a local legend with a jaw dropping collection. I was just a young budding collector then. Rick invited me and a few other guys over one day. Just blew me away! Multiples of all the big keys. 

Rick’s wife hated the comics. When he passed away, she sold them to Gerber under supposedly shady circumstances. I never heard about any lawsuit. 

Jeez. My wife left me for that. It’s you or the comic books. Life is good…

On 4/14/2023 at 1:18 PM, Robot Man said:

I said nothing of the kind. I have no idea if he made a profit or not. I simply identified Rick Durrell and stated I had heard a rumor about his purchase of Rick’s books. Those involved are no longer with us so the true story will probably be never known for sure. 

I too have no direct knowledge of the situation. Everything I know was learned from posts on this site, including the one I quoted. In a nutshell, the alleged story is that E. Gerber engaged in shady dealings with R. Durrell's widow, and in part he did so to fund the Photo Journal project. No one has said anything about how much E. Gerber made off of his Photo Journals because the focus was on how Durrell's wife was treated by Gerber as he liquidated Durrell's collection ostensibly for her benefit. She allegedly did not make out nearly as well as she should have.

As to your question about the economics of the Photo Journals, my guess is that Gerber spent a lot of money getting the 22,000+ photos for his Photo Journals as he was traveling all over the country for years to photo books, right? The cost of travel, film, and paper alone was probably pretty huge. So maybe that cost was a motivation for any alleged misbehavior, if it occurred. But that is pure speculation as I don't know how the dispute between Gerber and Durrell's wife shook out. 

On 4/14/2023 at 5:06 PM, sfcityduck said:

No one has said anything about how much E. Gerber made off of his Photo Journals

Gerber never made a dime off the PJs.  On the contrary, they broke him.

I bought my copies a couple of months ago after hearing about them on a YouTube video, I think.  I'm still making my way through the books, and I swear it's pure beautiful torture looking at all those pics.  I think the appropriate term is "masochism".  Many of those books I know I'll never have, not simply because of the budget, but just trying to find one at the right time on sale for the right price will be tough.  I wish there were a digital/Kindle copy of them, as well, because they're kind of monster books to read while falling asleep.  If you're into GA comics, you have to get these 2 books.  I thought about getting the Marvel books, and still may, but maybe another time.

Edited by Telegan