• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will Crazy Glue Work?
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Question... I have 2 slabs that are separating (see images). Has anyone ever tried crazy glue successfully to fix this? 

They came from the same submission of only 2 books back in December 2022 and when received they appeared fine. After 5 months of sitting in a storage box with about 15 other books I went to move them and noticed these 2 had separated.

They are not eligible for ME so I am trying to put a fix to it since I refuse to pay for reholder.

Thanks for any help...

20230512_091541.jpg

20230512_091505.jpg

If you have absolutely zero intention of ever never ever selling them, glue prob would work. If you have even a small infinitesimal possibility of someday putting them up for sale, I’d suck it up and submit them for reholder. 

@TegrityComics  From what I can see, the way that the case is defective is very problematic. The posts are what makes the case "tamper-proof," and it is the first place that people will look to check for problems or tampering.  It is inconceivable to me that CGC would not consider an unsealed case for re-holdering. I am sorry this has happened to you. 

The 2 comics are part of my PC and are really not worth much. I will most likely just leave them alone and use them as conversation pieces when talking about this fine company and their quality products and lack of guarantee on grading.

Unfortunately, before this even happened the other day I had already made the decision not to send in anymore of my collection. This service is better off for a dealer who wants to flip something rather than a collector who wants to preserve and protect the books. I have protected books without slabs for over 50 years without issues so I guess 50 more can't hurt. LOL

My initial submissions had basically been a test of the products and services

Sent in 1 Magazine Press and Standard Grade Tier TAT was 42 days I am still waiting for my book over 120 days even though TAT is 15.

7 Economy sent 1 return stating staple not attached to cover funny that's not how I sent it.

2 Books to see the quality of pressing and grading. Pressing very good and helped raise the grading but slabs feel apart on their own after 5 months

7 Modern no problems received 9.6 and 9.8, books had been around 35-40 years old (No Pressing)

Thought that was a little odd getting so many high grades so I sent in 20 more Modern books for pressing and grading. This time I sent in a couple of books that should not grade that high and sure enough 1 book did get a 9.6 that should not be more than 9.0 Damage back cover. Order also came back with 2 ME that needed to go back.

That being said as a collector slabbed books really aren't for me, and it is a shame because they do look nice in the holder.

Live look-in at CGC GEI and Reholdering facilities...

Tumblr: Image

IMHO if it happened on more than one slab, even if it was 5 months since they were returned;

- post to https://boards.cgccomics.com/forum/27-comic-book-grading-and-restoration-issues/

- tag "cgc mike"  by inserting with the @ in your post. Please note there is space between cgc and mike

it's become apparently that CGC's parent company has little desire in providing excellent customer service. Sadly when you have no truly viable competition that is often the case, almost the same situation with PSA in the card world.

Of course if this was CGC Card slab they not only have fixed things but likley given you some credit to use on your next submission. Strong competition usually improves customer service.

Edited by MAR1979

On 5/15/2023 at 6:14 PM, Axe Elf said:

Live look-in at CGC GEI and Reholdering facilities...

Tumblr: Image

They promoted the person who came up with the idea of a slab that self-explodes after 14 days. He is now in charge of Quality Control. I understand not taking cracks, chips and scratch type of things back after 14 days, but this is clearly product defect. Since they now have clearly drawn the line on handling of ME's going forward just proves that they guarantee absolutely nothing. Not the Grade, Not the Slab and certainly the TAT's, so they are useless to the collector. On another note, I was told by my legal dept to contact the Better Business Bureau on the Magazine issue I have with CGC. (Standard Submission TAT 42 days back in November G/E/I since 12/1/22 and TAT now shows 15 days. Can they be that insensitive to their clients to advertise 15 days when you have customers waiting months and some cases even years. Pathetic 

On 5/15/2023 at 7:19 PM, MAR1979 said:

IMHO if it happened on more than one slab, even if it was 5 months since they were returned;

- post to https://boards.cgccomics.com/forum/27-comic-book-grading-and-restoration-issues/

- tag "cgc mike"  by inserting with the @ in your post. Please note there is space between cgc and mike

it's become apparently that CGC's parent company has little desire in providing excellent customer service. Sadly when you have no truly viable competition that is often the case, almost the same situation with PSA in the card world.

Of course if this was CGC Card slab they not only have fixed things but likley given you some credit to use on your next submission. Strong competition usually improves customer service.

Thank you so much Mike was able to help me out. :manhero:

I would recommend just using some clear packaging tape. If you cut it with scissors and place it on the slab right on the edge, it won't be seen upon close inspection and can always be removed. I've done this before and it actually blends in pretty well on the edges because the plastic on the sides is ribbed and helps hide it.

However, when you go to sell this book, you're probably going to have to disclose (to save yourself future headaches from returns) and likely have to take a loss on it - which is why the reholder process is such a pain. Someone is going to have to spend the time and/or money to reholder - you just have to figure out if it's you, or the next guy.

Edit: sounds like it's been resolved, but the tape idea still looks good without damaging the slab with glue.

Edited by Dr. Balls