• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC’s OFFICIAL Mechanical Errors / Returns Policy
11 11

433 posts in this topic

On 5/26/2023 at 3:17 AM, Mrtombs said:

soooooo, acceptable?

PXL_20230526_063834443.thumb.jpg.73f42811aa505fc243d531a91436987f.jpg

8 out of 10 in this order had about this level of scuffing. i'm done.

That is apropos as it looks like it was scratched by a cat.....

:shiftyeyes:

On 5/25/2023 at 1:34 PM, Poekaymon said:

A few years ago I tried to get some newton rings fixed and was told that they weren’t covered because they are natural and present in nearly all CGC books. That answer bothered me because clearly we know that isn’t true. I mean at the time I called I had hundreds of slabs in front of me and only 2-3 had significant rings. I told the person that and they said I was wrong and that every single slab has them it’s just some are worse than others. So I said well these are clearly really bad ones so why can’t we exchanged the super bad ones. And they said because newton rings are in all slabs. Bit circular but I gave up.

That's what they want. From their release:

Mechanical Errors represent a very small (and declining) percentage of overall submissions due to CGC’s efforts to improve quality control through enhanced training and processes to better prevent or catch mistakes. These efforts have not only improved quality control, but also turnaround times, which are at the fastest speeds in years. CGC continues to work diligently to both reduce the occurrence of Mechanical Errors and maintain fast turnaround times.

Mechanical errors will continue to be a declining percentage of overall submissions, not because their QC has improved, but rather because they're claiming that their flawed product is acceptable. And now they're going to have all of their customers wondering if they're going to be dinged for the shipping when they send their books back.

On 5/25/2023 at 12:28 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

My latest batch of 102 books just came back from CGC!

No Newton Rings

No ME's

No scratches

No upside down books!

Are you guys happy for me? :foryou:

Seems kinda sad that "no upside down books" is something to specifically mention as worthy of celebration.

On 5/26/2023 at 9:12 PM, wombat said:

If you stop recognizing certain things as mechanical errors and shorten the window to submit errors you get to claim the % of mechanical errors is decreasing. 

modern-problems-chapelle.gif

It's like claiming that covid numbers are decreasing because you reduced testing for it.

On 5/26/2023 at 11:47 PM, ttfitz said:

Seems kinda sad that "no upside down books" is something to specifically mention as worthy of celebration.

I'd actually prefer that, if I got to pick what sort of error my slab would have. I was the owner of an upside down Silver Surfer book, and I sold it at a premium compared to copies that were properly encapsulated in the same grade, because the owner of a Silver Surfer collection wanted it as an oddity for his collection.

On 5/26/2023 at 8:12 PM, wombat said:

If you stop recognizing certain things as mechanical errors and shorten the window to submit errors you get to claim the % of mechanical errors is decreasing. 

modern-problems-chapelle.gif

Hurry up and apply for that QC manager position so you can take credit for dramatic decreases and get that big bonus. 

soooooo, acceptable?

Those are easily fixable with a bit of Polywatch and some elbow grease. From what I have discovered, the bags actually cause this. It's weird the plastic on the cases are that soft to be scratched so easily.

On 5/27/2023 at 5:51 PM, Robert_L said:

Those are easily fixable with a bit of Polywatch and some elbow grease. From what I have discovered, the bags actually cause this. It's weird the plastic on the cases are that soft to be scratched so easily.

Nopers. The books I have that are like this are scuffed on the inside of the cases. Products on the outside do nothing - and yes, I did try before realizing where the scuffing is.

Edited by Stefan_W

hmm...Mine clean up real quick!

As it goes recently, I'd rather try and fix them myself than send them back in unless no other choice. I have had too many books ruined my carless hands in the re-casing dept.

On 5/27/2023 at 2:59 PM, Stefan_W said:

Nopers. The books I have that are like this are scuffed on the inside of the cases. Products on the outside do nothing - and yes, I did try before realizing where the scuffing is.

this. i tried tons of different products on other cases before i realized it was the inside that was scuffed. on this book some of the smaller dust looking marks were able to be cleaned off but the main marks went nowhere.

On 5/27/2023 at 5:59 PM, Stefan_W said:

Obviously, some scratches are on the outside.  I've had a handful that were.  But you are also 100% right.  I've cracked open two.  The scuffing is on the inside, on the sealed bag.  They do not wipe off, so it's not really smudges, but actual scratches/blemishes from something.  Has to either be an issue when the bags are manufactured, or when they are handling / sealing.  Something is damaging them, though.  

On 5/27/2023 at 6:30 PM, Tcarroll17 said:

Obviously, some scratches are on the outside.  I've had a handful that were.  But you are also 100% right.  I've cracked open two.  The scuffing is on the inside, on the sealed bag.  They do not wipe off, so it's not really smudges, but actual scratches/blemishes from something.  Has to either be an issue when the bags are manufactured, or when they are handling / sealing.  Something is damaging them, though.  

Do/did you notice them without the comic inserted? I'm wondering if those guys can notice them before they are used in the encapsulation process.

Maybe it’s not that QC is missing these things, but that what we are seeing is the new acceptable.

soooooo, acceptable?

It’s starting to seem more plausible that the QC crew isn’t missing these things, but maybe just following new protocol and allowing these to pass.

On 5/27/2023 at 9:42 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Maybe it’s not that QC is missing these things, but that what we are seeing is the new acceptable.

It’s starting to seem more plausible that the QC crew isn’t missing these things, but maybe just following new protocol and allowing these to pass.

I think you may be right, and I will probably get a taste of it this week. I had two slabs that were not quite as bad as the example above but bad enough so I sent them in and paid for a reholdering for both. I got them back from the reholder a couple of months ago and they were even worse than when I sent them so I did an ME. The ME was sent in a while ago but the books sat and then this new policy came in. They made it through the system on Friday so should be in my hands by the end of this week.

I am going to be a very angry lad if the issue is not fixed this time around since I will no longer have an ME option. Fingers crossed that this does not happen but I will post an update here either way.