• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seller sold an incomplete book to me - How would you respond?
10 10

304 posts in this topic

Im a "the customer is always right" type of seller but im struggling to pick a side here.

:goodvsevil:

Did the missing pages affect the story?

Is it possible that the seller looked through the book and honestly didnt notice anything was missing?

On 5/26/2023 at 9:15 AM, lostboys said:

Im a "the customer is always right" type of seller but im struggling to pick a side here.

:goodvsevil:

Did the missing pages affect the story?

Is it possible that the seller looked through the book and honestly didnt notice anything was missing?

Grader Notes

missing interior part/page/wrap (QUALIFIED) centerfold affects story
moderate staining to cover

On 5/26/2023 at 7:37 AM, Sigur Ros said:

Did you pay with PayPal?

Had a similar eBay response once.  Someone was selling pre-order items...then by the time the items were to be released, he vanished with everyone's money.  Was long after the 30 days, so I contacted PayPal...they looked into it and refunded me 🤷

I did and I have filed a claim with them. 

On 5/26/2023 at 8:27 AM, MR. Pontoon said:

What is the comic book started all this ruckus?

To reveal that could out the seller which I do not wish to do at this time. Maybe someday. I did file a report with eBay that seller is not meeting their TOS by the misrepresentation and his failure to communicate. This could lead to his suspension from eBay

Edited by O Doyle Rules

On 5/26/2023 at 11:20 AM, O Doyle Rules said:

To reveal that could out the seller which I do not wish to do at this time. Maybe someday. I did file a report with eBay that seller is not meeting their TOS by the misrepresentation and his failure to communicate. This could lead to his suspension from eBay

If he's such a shoddy seller then why are you concerned about outing him? Wouldn't you want others to know who he is so that he can be avoided?

On 5/26/2023 at 11:26 AM, MR. Pontoon said:

If he's such a shoddy seller then why are you concerned about outing him? Wouldn't you want others to know who he is so that he can be avoided?

I will continue to pursue eBay until they suspend his account so he cannot harm others. It appears he might be voluntarily withdrawing from eBay as now his listings are all gone except for one auction with no bids. 

On 5/26/2023 at 12:12 PM, Robot Man said:

I have well over 4K feedback since 1998 on EBay. Since that time, I might have gotton 3 or 4 negs and a few neutrals even though I did everything fair and reasonable to make a customer happy. There is just nothing that can make some people happy…

We’re in the same boat on eBay. My experience was selling, mostly at auction, about a thousand listings of raw comics by 2010. I sold them all as is with photos usually for ridiculously low prices. If a buyer alleged restoration or I had missed a coupon/incomplete I’d take the book back at my shipping expense. Like you a few negs to the feedback even though I always made best efforts. At some point I wised up and after a few years break from selling I started up selling again on eBay. This time only CGC graded books.  After many sold slabs zero returns and all positive feedback. Sadly with the grading fees increases and downturn in prices about 50 percent of my “CGC worthy” books no longer are. 

On 5/26/2023 at 9:37 AM, ThothAmon said:

We’re in the same boat on eBay. My experience was selling, mostly at auction, about a thousand listings of raw comics by 2010. I sold them all as is with photos usually for ridiculously low prices. If a buyer alleged restoration or I had missed a coupon/incomplete I’d take the book back at my shipping expense. Like you a few negs to the feedback even though I always made best efforts. At some point I wised up and after a few years break from selling I started up selling again on eBay. This time only CGC graded books.  After many sold slabs zero returns and all positive feedback. Sadly with the grading fees increases and downturn in prices about 50 percent of my “CGC worthy” books no longer are. 

I got a neg from a buyer years ago because he didn’t agree on CGC’s grade even though I stated no refunds on third party (CGC books).

I just don’t sell there any more for a myriad of reasons…

I hear everyone that feels I may not be accepting enough responsibility in this mess. Clearly I messed up royally and no doubt had I inspected the comic myself I would not be in this position. I retract my 10% responsbiity statement as I see how that can be viewed as not reasonable and it was a statement made by me without proper thought. Everyone can have their own opinion as to how much responsiblity lies between the seller and myself and I respect their opinions. 

I went back and re-read all the messages so I can convey our conversation in the order it took place. From my perspective, I thought I was being very reasonable with the seller after he admitted his fault and told me he would make it right. I told him at this point I would even take a credit in comics to resolve the issue. He offered $100.00 refund to make amends or two comics valued less than $100.00. I countered with what I thought was fair. A $250.00 refund or a credit towards other comics. All our conversations were very polite and respectful on both sides. It was at this point things went sideways. He stopped communicating period. Ultimately, I felt he left me no choice after discussions with eBay to file a report on the seller that he violated their TOS which could lead to a suspension of his account. It was from their urging to do so. I was not familiar with the process. They walked me through it. I still don't know what the outcome with eBay will be in that regards. 

I pleaded with him one last time to re-start the conversation. Once again, no response from him, so I then filed a paypal claim for a total of $250.00 plus $30.00 to cover the sales tax I paid. It is still being investigated. Naturally whatever eBay's & paypal's decisions are, I will accept and move on. Lessons learned from the mistake I made. 

If the seller does not get suspended from eBay and I do not recover a partial refund from paypal I will live with it. I will leave it to others to judge if this was a fair outcome. 

I apologize to any members who took offense to what I have communicated here. Some comments were born from frustration and I did not come on here to debate other members. I was sincerely asking for help. Time to move on. Thanks to all who replied and read this train wreck thread. 

It could be that the seller felt that he had offered a reasonable solution (not saying it was).  Then it became evident that you did not have the same view after a couple of further messages.  He then may have blocked you from bidding or buying other listings.  Part of that block might also be preventing your messages from getting to him entirely.  So although you are sending appeals to him, he doesn't even see or get them.  Not responding will appear uncooperative, but you can't respond to a message you don't get.

On 5/26/2023 at 9:26 AM, MR. Pontoon said:

This is a good question to the OP.

I imagine the OP doesn’t want to name names to keep the drama to a minimum, but at some point it makes sense to publicize the name. The seller sold a book that was incomplete and isn’t working too hard to rectify it. That’s worth discussing since this is an issue that concerns the hobby, and in some cases - the seller may find his way here to chime in. Which makes for a great Friday thread.