• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seller sold an incomplete book to me - How would you respond?
10 10

304 posts in this topic

On 7/5/2023 at 8:21 PM, southern cross said:

So the book cost $400 plus tax to originally purchased, after grading it's found not complete and ebay makes a offer of a partial refund of just $250 and you return the book? 

So you're out $150 plus tax not even getting to the grading fees and no comic book 

Why would someone do that?

Wouldn't it be better stuffing envelopes with $20 bills and just randomly handing cash out to strangers on the sidewalk on your way to the coffee shop.

Or am I missing something in this thread?

Ebay just said it was past the deadline to request a refund, which it was.  Seller offered to refund $100 even though it was past the deadline according to Ebay TOS.  Buyer went to Paypal, who presumably ran it through Ebay, and Paypal offered $250 plus tax if he returned the book.  

On 7/5/2023 at 8:37 PM, O Doyle Rules said:

I got a reply back after a week that my refund was approved but eBay is requesting that I return the book to get the partial refund? Naturally this makes no sense and Paypal agreed. My claim was revised to ask for the full refund of $430.00 (What I paid for the book) About another week passes and eBay comes back again with a partial refund of $280.00 and for me to return the book

Wonder why he was working with Paypal while eBay was already on it.

PayPal wouldn't normally get involved until eBay made their final decision.

Sorry about all the health issues you and your family are facing. Did we ever get the seller's name? He's still a person_too_unaware_of_social_graces for not taking the book back and issuing a full refund. 

Edited by Flanders82

“What have I learned form all of this? 

1. I will always thoroughly inspect any comic that I pay a substantial amount for. 

2. I will never ever ask advice online if I have a seller/buyer dispute.

I got a nice chuckle out of #2. Hope you’re feeling better.

On 7/5/2023 at 8:37 PM, O Doyle Rules said:

2. I will never ever ask advice online if I have a seller/buyer dispute.

(in my best Inigo Montoya voice)

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means"

Just an observation, it does seem you weren't interested in advice but instead were looking for people to just agree with you.

I hope you are your wife are doing better with the health issues

Edited by GACollectibles

On 7/8/2023 at 7:33 AM, GACollectibles said:

Just an observation, it does seem you weren't interested in advice but instead were looking for people to just agree with you.

Welcome to the internet! :applause:

(in my best Inigo Montoya voice)

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means"

I hope you are your wife are doing better with the health issues

In your 2nd best Montoya voice, repeat...I quoted the wrong person, Sharon was not the one asking or kvetching about the advice;)

On 7/8/2023 at 7:38 AM, Ryan. said:

Thanks!  I look forward to years of drama free rational discourse!

I wonder what happened to the seller in this? It seemed like shutting down his business was on the table at one point.

On 7/8/2023 at 7:38 AM, Ryan. said:

Reddit AITA subreddit

On 5/23/2023 at 10:16 AM, O Doyle Rules said:

I did not inspect the comic or handle it since my intent was to get it graded and I did not want to cause any inadvertent damage to the comic.

You messed up by not counting the pages yourself. 

It's impossible for you to prove that the book arrived in qualified condition because it's been so long since it was shipped. The seller has the right to be wary due to the time that has expired since the deal. 

He was in the wrong, but you made a crucial mistake by not checking the book yourself. 

Hopefully you learned a lesson. 

That being said, if I were the dealer, I'd bend over backwards to try to make it right. 

What the seller SHOULD do and what the seller by law HAS to do are two different things, however. 

Again, you simply waited far too late. 

Oh wait a minute...this horse is already dead? :sorry:

Maybe I should starting reading the entire thread before I post? lol