• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seller sold an incomplete book to me - How would you respond?
10 10

304 posts in this topic

On 5/25/2023 at 7:49 PM, Randall Dowling said:

I've had this happen as well.  I've had times where I purchased books, set them in a pile with the rest of my collection (after doing a cursory assessment), and forgot about them for a few months.  Only to discover that a centerfold was detached (or some other significant defect).  It never entered my mind to ask for my money back after that much time.  It was on me to check the book when I purchased it.

And I've had a buyer ask to  return a book 3 months after they purchased because they finally checked and it wasn't as good a candidate for pressing as they thought.  I refunded the money but I think it's completely understandable to set some sort of reasonable limit for returns.  Frankly, 30 days seems reasonable to me.  I would never try to return a book after 30 days unless I discovered some sort of serious malfeasance by the seller (micro-trimming, etc.).  2c

Add my own "Tales To Embarrass":

Years ago I bought a raw midgrade SA moderate-key from a well-known/respected boardie at a con. I didn't inspect it at the con, very crowded and didn't want to bother asking for a space to open and page-through a SA key with all the hustle going on. I just bought it. Seller didn't mention anything about it.

Brought it home at the end of the day. Went back the next day and did more shopping (accumulating mass-quantities). Once the con was over, I took out my SA key from the boardie and immediately noticed a small ad was cut out of the back cover. :facepalm: Con was over, and I didn't want to harass the boardie for my own lack of judgement in paying for a moderate-key book I didn't inspect on-sight or even later that day. 

Lesson learned - inspect what you buy ASAP. 

On 5/25/2023 at 9:31 PM, skypinkblu said:

I did refund completely (but not the grading) but it annoyed me enough to add text to my sales threads. I think 60 days is long enough to check  on a book.

But one would have to open the book to see what’s inside it. In this case he didn’t feel comfortable, so even 60 days wouldn’t have been enough.

@O Doyle Rules I understand not wanting to put his name out there I guess but can we see a screen cap (name withheld) of him admitting his fault? I am curious of his wording. 

On 5/26/2023 at 11:20 AM, O Doyle Rules said:

To reveal that could out the seller which I do not wish to do at this time. Maybe someday. I did file a report with eBay that seller is not meeting their TOS by the misrepresentation and his failure to communicate. This could lead to his suspension from eBay

I'm at a loss here...you are trying to get the seller banned, but won't out him. In addition you won't tell us the name of the book.

How about the publisher and series? That would help determine if the page count was unusual.

Wow what an interesting conversation, I read about halfway through but it seems to be the same back and forth. As someone who buys and sells on ebay fairly frequently its easy to put myself in both the buyers and sellers situation. As the buyer because I didn't inspect the book and am out of the window for a return would just take the $100 sell the book and move on without repeating that mistake again. As the seller its even easier since I misrepresented(accidently I hope) the book i'd let the buyer send the book back for a full refund but not the grading fees.

On 5/28/2023 at 10:16 AM, Dr. Balls said:

How could we not benefit from this topic continuing on. There's something special waiting to be said to keep it going, I know it.

I can’t keep it secret any longer....

I’m the seller

:kidaround:

Edited by THE_BEYONDER