• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to Offer Pieces for Trade
2 2

18 posts in this topic

I've been idly considering tightening the focus of my art collection - I have many pieces I rather like a lot, but wouldn't be heartbroken to let go if it meant getting art I liked more. With that in mind, I had considered putting a few things up for trade and see if anyone had any interest in them. As I'm not very involved in the OA world, I don't really have any idea what the best way to go about that would be. Would love to know from folks here who have done successful trades, and how they approached a) getting fair trade value for their art and b) ensuring the deal was done safely for all parties involved. 

On 5/23/2023 at 11:05 AM, J.Sid said:

Trades are hard. Not impossible, but hard.

I have had luck trading with Dealers for items they'd had in their inventory for a while. (think: 2+ years)

Thanks for your response! I'm assuming that you had to give up a bit more in terms of trade value working with a dealer over another collector? Or was it a case of you having something they felt they could move faster than the piece they had sitting in inventory? 

On 5/23/2023 at 11:08 AM, rlextherobot said:

Thanks for your response! I'm assuming that you had to give up a bit more in terms of trade value working with a dealer over another collector? Or was it a case of you having something they felt they could move faster than the piece they had sitting in inventory? 

It's hard enough finding someone who will give you what your item is worth.

You're taking it to the next level by hoping:
1.They also have something you want
2. They are willing to part with that something and
3. They are not bat-s**t crazy about the value of their piece.

Best to simply sell and then use that money to purchase (in my experience)

On 5/23/2023 at 9:31 PM, J.Sid said:

It's hard enough finding someone who will give you what your item is worth.

You're taking it to the next level by hoping:
1.They also have something you want
2. They are willing to part with that something and
3. They are not bat-s**t crazy about the value of their piece.

Best to simply sell and then use that money to purchase (in my experience)

Plus one.  Hardly worth the effort, IMHO.  But hey, you might get lucky, no harm in trying.

Trading is a heckuva lot of fun. I’ve gotten some of my best pieces through trades. You have to trade with a reputable person and be ready to give a little up. If you are trying to get someone to trade with you, you should be prepared to make it worth their while — meaning to be prepared to give up more than what their piece is worth. When trading with dealers, you’ll have to give up quite a bit more, because they aren’t in the business of trading dollars for dollars.

On 5/23/2023 at 6:47 PM, Unstoppablejayd said:

I make trades all the time… you just have to be open to give and take and no when to just fold if someone it unreasonable 

Same here.  Trading can be tons of fun.  I find that these days the better pieces you can only trade for.  

I've traded 3 times (that I can remember) in my 25 years of collecting. 

2 of the 3 started off as purchase inquiries.

1st trade.  I was contacted by a collector wanting to buy a piece from my collection. It was not for sale.  However, I knew of him and his collection. He had a couple of pieces I wanted. The piece I had was an outlier in my collection but the focus of his and vice versa. I offered to trade. We did. 

2nd trade. I was offered a piece I've wanted for a long time, by a fellow collector. We collected the same artist, with only  a difference in character preference.  He knew I wanted it, hell he knew it was my grail (maybe he didn't know 🤔I don't remember). Traded two of mine to get the one. Worth it. 

3rd trade.  I was contacted by yet another  collector wanting to buy a piece or two from my collection. They were not for sale. Again, I knew of him and his collection. I asked if he still had two pieces (they were no longer posted in his gallery) in his collection. He did. We traded. 

In the end, in each trade I got something from my main wants and I hope they did the same. So know what the other collector collects or has in his collection and don't offer random pieces he has no interest in. 

I've turned down trades that didn't offer any of my main wants because I like my pieces better and if I wanted a one off of an artist or title I could buy one. 

I’m exploring doing a trade for the first time, and I’m looking at people who have the same character as who is in my trade (Red Sonja) - I figure that’s an easy way to break the ice by us having that common ground. 

Made a whopper of a trade this week with a fellow boardie (and friend) smooth as silk … win win for both of us and went down with ease and a ton of respect on both sides. I can’t reiterate it enough explore trades where you can… that’s how you get what you really want!