• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bry is going to destroy his AF15 for a blue label
2 2

118 posts in this topic

On 5/30/2023 at 7:57 AM, Artboy99 said:

Agreed. I watched @thehumantorch crack out a CGC purple label Fantastic Four 45 at a comic show we were set up at because the potential buyer didn't want a slabbed copy. The graders notes stated “small amount of colour touch”. Once cracked we inspected it and the color touch was all over the place. The entire spine was heavily touched as were several spots in the central mass and the top and bottom edges. This is an area where CGC needs to improve the descriptions.

Beyond any shadow of doubt. I've seen some that state  "small amount of color touch" then get a moderate C-2 resto tag. Wouldn't that indicate a moderate amount of color touch?

Edited by trademarkcomics

On 5/30/2023 at 8:57 AM, Artboy99 said:

Agreed. I watched @thehumantorch crack out a CGC purple label Fantastic Four 45 at a comic show we were set up at because the potential buyer didn't want a slabbed copy. The graders notes stated “small amount of colour touch”. Once cracked we inspected it and the color touch was all over the place. The entire spine was heavily touched as were several spots in the central mass and the top and bottom edges. This is an area where CGC needs to improve the descriptions.

Agreed.  There was tons of color touch and the label indicated 'small amount of color touch'.  

On 5/30/2023 at 11:42 AM, trademarkcomics said:

Beyond any shadow of doubt. I've seen some that state  "small amount of color touch" then get a moderate C-2 resto tag. Wouldn't that indicate a moderate amount of color touch?

C-2 is the quality of restoration in regard to how it was done, not the amountIMG_1138.thumb.jpeg.11872e64c40fae99a18e5d156267f883.jpegIMG_1137.thumb.png.1937a4f83766ad39ef4964784825f2f2.pngIMG_1136.thumb.png.b9c0b34203367ff6b827f9f6febb77ef.png

On 5/30/2023 at 10:57 AM, Artboy99 said:

As someone who works on books this is the number one issue that I encounter.

On 5/30/2023 at 12:46 PM, october said:

People have no idea how many clowns entered the hobby over the past five years just looking to make money in any way possible. 

Hacking up restored books? Check. 

Badly pressing comics? Check. 

Cleaning using chemicals that CGC may not catch? Check. 

Peroxide baths to lighten covers and interior pages that CGC may not catch? Check. 

I honestly trust raw comics bought on eBay from random sellers over slabbed from dealers/auctions houses at this point. Much higher chance they are not yet molested. 

These two are the ones I am most surprised with -- both in terms of how much they can change a comic's appearance and that CGC apparently cannot catch them.

This one may also fall under one or more the above, but to add:

• Completely disassembling a comic for pressing, lightening, or both that CGC may not catch.

On 5/30/2023 at 1:13 PM, Ed Hanes said:

I dont understand his math...he was offered 45 to 50 k but wants to repurpose it and get a 3 to 4 , which from recent sales , suggests he would lose a lot of money ...am I missing something here? 

Dude's got a bustlin' YouTube channel where he slings knowledge and comics -- sometimes a little of both! Don't question him.

image.thumb.png.cf63922472a9fc64b69641197a547388.png

On 5/30/2023 at 11:22 AM, manetteska said:

Dude's got a bustlin' YouTube channel where he slings knowledge and comics -- sometimes a little of both! Don't question him.

image.thumb.png.cf63922472a9fc64b69641197a547388.png

are you being sarcastic? I wouldnt exactly use the word 'bustling' for his youtube channel (compared to other high volume youtubers)..not even close

Edited by Ed Hanes

On 5/30/2023 at 1:29 PM, Ed Hanes said:

are you being sarcastic? I wouldnt exactly use the word 'bustling' for his youtube channel (compared to other high volume youtubers)..not even close

I am being sarcastic overall, but 16k subscribers for a comics channel isn't bad; roughly 1/3-1/4 of CT101.

But back to the comic: He also has to pay the presser/CT-remover, shipping, walkthrough grading, and maybe some other stuff. Not to mention those quoted HA prices INCLUDE BP and commission, so... I don't know what he's trying to do here if he legitimately received a $45k offer as-is.

Yeah, I have my doubts about the offers he got,  Also. The only other thing that I can think that he may be doing… Is that he got only a lowball offer from someone who wanted to basically turn it back into a RAW, and asked if he could disassemble it for them…. And then he just made up this charade to have an interesting YouTube show…. And he has no intention of sending it to CGC.

Edited by Ed Hanes