• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bry is going to destroy his AF15 for a blue label
2 2

118 posts in this topic

On 5/30/2023 at 10:05 AM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

He didn't know the Boards existed until a few months ago.  Not a member. 

A lot of what I classify as new collectors (guys and gals who have jumped in in the last decade) seem to avoid this place. They view it as archaic and stick to the YouTube’s and Instagrams and Whatnots of the world. Which I this is a disservice to their growth in this hobby because this is the best place to be for a very accurate dose of reality. Sadly a lot of people like Bry have their own view and they don’t like criticism so rather than take it and maybe learn or grow, they delete it

I already had the feeling CGC and perhaps any other professional restorer would say no to the removal. Just too much bleed through from the touch-up that it would greatly damage the book. 

If he did get a legit $45-$50k offer, he should've taken it. I wouldn't think twice about it!  In my opinion, I think the book is realistically worth less than $20k

On 6/12/2023 at 3:30 PM, comicginger1789 said:

A lot of what I classify as new collectors (guys and gals who have jumped in in the last decade) seem to avoid this place. They view it as archaic and stick to the YouTube’s and Instagrams and Whatnots of the world. Which I this is a disservice to their growth in this hobby because this is the best place to be for a very accurate dose of reality. Sadly a lot of people like Bry have their own view and they don’t like criticism so rather than take it and maybe learn or grow, they delete it

CG,

I follow Bry and he consistently acknowledges mistakes (financial and grading), provides a collector and investor perspective, and reminds viewers that these are his opinions.

With respect to the board's existence, I think he was having some fun on someone's behalf. I've been following him for over 2 years and back in those days, we discussed this board.

On 6/13/2023 at 1:15 PM, Upgrayedd2 said:
On 6/12/2023 at 8:30 PM, comicginger1789 said:

CG,

I follow Bry and he consistently acknowledges mistakes (financial and grading), provides a collector and investor perspective, and reminds viewers that these are his opinions.

With respect to the board's existence, I think he was having some fun on someone's behalf. I've been following him for over 2 years and back in those days, we discussed this board.

Did he classify this AF 15 de-slab, no one will remove the CT, press, send back for grading, receive same grade, try to sell for less than alleged original offers as a mistake?

On 6/13/2023 at 2:15 PM, Upgrayedd2 said:

CG,

That’s fine. I just don’t love him as a content creator at all. He appeals to a different generation than the one I prefer is all. 

That was an expensive lesson paying CGC all those fees and get no color touch removal and it comes back the same grade. Then the page quality dropped from OW-W to OW on the re-grade. Ouch!

I assume he removed the tape himself since the interior tape note is not there anymore. 

Edited by MetaHuman

On 6/22/2023 at 6:32 PM, MetaHuman said:

That was an expensive lesson paying CGC all those fees and get no color touch removal and it comes back the same grade. Then the page quality dropped from OW-W to OW on the re-grade. Ouch!

I assume he removed the tape himself since the interior tape note is not there anymore. 

Regarding the new label not having the tape note, that could just be the result of CGC's recent change to include fewer non-restoration related notes on the label (and from what I understand tape isn't typically considered restoration by CGC). I didn't check to see if the new label number is visible in the video, but if it is, and you looked it up on CGC's Verify CGC Certification page, the grader's notes should (at least in theory; although no guarantees, I guess) point it out if it's still there.

Edited by Superman2006

On 6/22/2023 at 7:50 PM, Superman2006 said:

Regarding the new label not having the tape note, that could just be the result of CGC's recent change to include fewer non-restoration related notes on the label (and from what I understand tape isn't typically considered restoration by CGC). I didn't check to see if the new label number is visible in the video, but if it is, and you looked it up on CGC's Verify CGC Certification page, the grader's notes should (at least in theory; although no guarantees, I guess) point it out if it's still there.

Thanks for the tip regarding the tape. I looked up the notes for both the before and after grades and see that tape was noted the 2nd time around but not noted on the label. Here are the notes for both: 

Regraded book #4266895001:

image.png.078be90f2ce684d88c20d32bb1a81e3c.png

Original book's notes (#0342396001):

image.png.c7b065e6fec467ff2694ff7ac979ca53.png

The "small areas of color touch" is very misleading. CGC should really make it a point to distinguish the degree and amount of color touch properly. Some books labeled with small amount of CT have only a couple dots on the spine while others have long black markered areas on the spine and on one of the edges.  Huge difference!

On 6/22/2023 at 8:51 PM, Dark Knight said:

The "small areas of color touch" is very misleading. CGC should really make it a point to distinguish the degree and amount of color touch properly. Some books labeled with small amount of CT have only a couple dots on the spine while others have long black markered areas on the spine and on one of the edges.  Huge difference!

Agreed. From Bry's 1st video when he opened the book up, that was not a "small" amount of color touch!

On 6/23/2023 at 3:51 AM, Dark Knight said:

No. If CGC would start distinguish the degree and amount of color touch then all the "Brys Comics" out there would buy even more purple labels trying to make them blue. That would lead to lot of complaints about CGCs degree of color touch because there would be certainly cases where the amount of color touch would be more than "Brys Comics" would have hoped.