• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bry is going to destroy his AF15 for a blue label
2 2

118 posts in this topic

I've been thinking about this and we only have ourselves to blame by reacting this way to blue and 100% yellow labels:

tom-in-love.gif.50157429a98e3ca911f586cde6282d4a.gif

And by reacting in this manner to purple and green labels:

abouttohurl.gif.bebb656107405618582f2f84d73e5e75.gif

Rather than actually looking at why they received the labels, we just make the immediate assumption the books are ruined. 

There is a huge difference between a carefully placed(and possibly professional) aesthetic improvement...

bat181k.thumb.jpg.fc830c8521fecdb5d9862c2e664372cd.jpg

And some kid who went crazy with Crayola markers.

bat181ack.webp.4ac33556245e00f49c778bc19a515167.webp

On 5/29/2023 at 9:25 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I wonder if CCS might refuse to do the work to preserve the structural integrity of the book 

They will strongly recommend against it and may even decline to do so but that was my experience before cgc was bought out. Now they may just recommend against it but do it if you insist.

I feel once he completely analyzes and understands the amount of color touch and significant bleeding throughout this cover, and the subsequent amount of hacking and damage that will need to be administered to remove it, he will have wished he never cracked open this book hm :facepalm:

On 6/1/2023 at 12:53 PM, trademarkcomics said:

I've been thinking about this and we only have ourselves to blame by reacting this way to blue and 100% yellow labels:

tom-in-love.gif.50157429a98e3ca911f586cde6282d4a.gif

And by reacting in this manner to purple and green labels:

abouttohurl.gif.bebb656107405618582f2f84d73e5e75.gif

Rather than actually looking at why they received the labels, we just make the immediate assumption the books are ruined. 

There is a huge difference between a carefully placed(and possibly professional) aesthetic improvement...

bat181k.thumb.jpg.fc830c8521fecdb5d9862c2e664372cd.jpg

And some kid who went crazy with Crayola markers.

bat181ack.webp.4ac33556245e00f49c778bc19a515167.webp

Amen.  Case in point: 

IMG_3191.jpeg

Edited by DocHoppus182
Better picture

I have a Journey Into Mystery 83 that I bought years ago, and had graded at a con in 2015.  It came back as a 6.0 Restored C-1.  I bought it not knowing that there was restoration done, and I didn't mind it too much at the time... but after seeing this thread, I'm wondering if I should attempt to remove the "restoration".

I put it in quotes, because I don't know that it was a purposeful restoration.

Looking up the cert number, the only restoration listed is : "Color touch (Non-archival material small areas) Spine C-1"

I'm gone over it with a blacklight and magnifying glass pretty extensively (to the best of my admittedly-limited experience with grading), and that spot (right above the ink smudge on the back cover) is the only area that I can see has been touched with a marker/pen/whatever they used.  (see attached photo of spine)  There are other spots that COULD have been touched up on both the spine and the cover, but weren't.  I just wonder if it was an accident or something...

In any case, I was considering cracking it and using a very fine sandpaper (200-300) fragment to remove that from the spine with the very lightest of touches and not going too far to damage the spine or go through the paper.  If I can get it down to where the CT isn't visible under the blacklight, I'd send it back in for grading again.

As I get older, I would like to maximize the value for whomever I pass it on to later in life or possibly sell if I need the money later.  Just trying to think ahead... lol

thor2.jpg

thor1.jpg

Edited by Jesse Larson

On 6/1/2023 at 5:04 PM, Jesse Larson said:

I have a Journey Into Mystery 83 that I bought years ago, and had graded at a con in 2015.  It came back as a 6.0 Restored C-1.  I bought it not knowing that there was restoration done, and I didn't mind it too much at the time... but after seeing this thread, I'm wondering if I should attempt to remove the "restoration".

Looking up the cert number, the only restoration listed is : "Color touch (Non-archival material small areas) Spine C-1"

I'm gone over it with a blacklight and magnifying glass pretty extensively (to the best of my admittedly-limited experience with grading), and that spot (right above the ink smudge on the back cover) is the only area that I can see has been touched with a marker/pen/whatever they used.  (see attached photo of spine)  There are other spots that COULD have been touched up on both the spine and the cover, but weren't.  I just wonder if it was an accident or something...

In any case, I was considering cracking it and using a very fine sandpaper (200-300) fragment to remove that from the spine with the very lightest of touches and not going too far to damage the spine or go through the paper.  If I can get it down to where the CT isn't visible under the blacklight, I'd send it back in for grading again.

As I get older, I would like to maximize the value for whomever I pass it on to later in life or possibly sell if I need the money later.  Just trying to think ahead... lol

thor2.jpg

thor1.jpg

maybe, but be aware CGC is grading on a neg point lower on books these past several months. What might have been a 6.0 years ago, damn sure aint no 6 anymore 

On 6/1/2023 at 2:04 PM, Jesse Larson said:

thor2.jpg

thor1.jpg

That's an older case, so I'm not sure what CGC's somewhat fluid standards were then, but I'm certain there's more than just that spot. If that's the only spot, it probably would have gotten the "Very small amount of color touch on cover" notation. Because "small amount" is kind of like the "Good" grade...not so good and not a small amount. Unless they decided to factor in the smudge that probably happened when they tried to touch up the spine on the first appearance of Thor...oops! (*cringes*)

ht18cgc_verysmct.thumb.jpg.77b7b1daba0bdb999e2ff72f36057ae2.jpg

On 6/1/2023 at 6:28 PM, trademarkcomics said:

That's an older case, so I'm not sure what CGC's somewhat fluid standards were then, but I'm certain there's more than just that spot. If that's the only spot, it probably would have gotten the "Very small amount of color touch on cover" notation. Because "small amount" is kind of like the "Good" grade...not so good and not a small amount. Unless they decided to factor in the smudge that probably happened when they tried to touch up the spine on the first appearance of Thor...oops! (*cringes*)

Love that book.  It’s on my list.

On 6/1/2023 at 4:28 PM, trademarkcomics said:

Wouldn't you think that they would have listed additional spots in the grader's notes?  That's the only thing listed (Color Touch Spine C-1)... and while the spine touch shows up quite prominently, there's nothing else like it on the cover.  I spent more than an hour with a strong magnifier and the lights (bright LED flashlight and blacklight)  It just looks very 'untouched' everywhere else on the cover.  Definitely flaws there, with a few color scratches/chips and small creases.  Just not seeing anything else that could be considered CT.  (to my aforementioned virgin eyes... lol)

Edited by Jesse Larson

On 6/1/2023 at 3:37 PM, Jesse Larson said:

Wouldn't you think that they would have list additional spots in the grader's notes?  That's the only thing listed (Color Touch Spine C-1)... and while the touch shows up quite prominently, there's nothing else like it on the cover.  I spent more than an hour with a strong magnifer and the lights (bright LED flashlight and blacklight)  It just looks very 'untouched' everywhere else on the cover.  Definitely flaws there, with a few color scratches/chips and small creases.  Just not seeing anything else that could be considered CT.  (to my aforementioned virgin eyes... lol)

Older case, so grader notes may not have been as extensive? Or it's just that "small amount" encompasses way too wide a range of color touch magnitude. 

Either way, I really wish CGC would adopt light and dark purple labels to differentiate between what I mentioned above. Light purple(maybe even more blue than red in the color?) to classify a book as having light amateur to moderate professional and dark(deep? :nyah:) purple to classify a book as having moderate amateur to extensive professional resto. Because when it really comes down to it, in life we want the cool colors...

crayon-cc-black.gif.274824f1586b73b2f3c3c62f615779a0.gif

On 6/1/2023 at 4:51 PM, trademarkcomics said:

Older case, so grader notes may not have been as extensive? Or it's just that "small amount" encompasses way too wide a range of color touch magnitude. 

Either way, I really wish CGC would adopt light and dark purple labels to differentiate between what I mentioned above. Light purple(maybe even more blue than red in the color?) to classify a book as having light amateur to moderate professional and dark(deep? :nyah:) purple to classify a book as having moderate amateur to extensive professional resto. Because when it really comes down to it, in life we want the cool colors...

crayon-cc-black.gif.274824f1586b73b2f3c3c62f615779a0.gif

I don't know.... the notes from the lookup seem pretty detailed :

Grader Notes
    Bottom Back Cover Small Tear with Crease
    Color touch (Non-archival material small areas) Spine C-1
    Front Cover Wear All Corners Breaks Color
    Full Bottom Front Cover Lite Wear Breaks Color
    Spine Stress Lines Breaks Color
    Spine Wear Breaks Color 

I certainly don't mind just leaving it as is.  I just hate to miss out on a higher grade if it's as simple a fix as it seems.  Tough decision.

On 6/1/2023 at 4:02 PM, Jesse Larson said:

I don't know.... the notes from the lookup seem pretty detailed :

Grader Notes
    Bottom Back Cover Small Tear with Crease
    Color touch (Non-archival material small areas) Spine C-1
    Front Cover Wear All Corners Breaks Color
    Full Bottom Front Cover Lite Wear Breaks Color
    Spine Stress Lines Breaks Color
    Spine Wear Breaks Color 

I certainly don't mind just leaving it as is.  I just hate to miss out on a higher grade if it's as simple a fix as it seems.  Tough decision.

"Areas"(plural). I'd be afraid if you remove that one spot, there would be more you didn't see so all that would happen is the grade goes down with still a purple label. And that bottom right corner looks pretty crinkled, I doubt it gets any higher, just possibly blue instead of purple labeled. Nice looking book, I'd leave it alone if it were me. 

On 6/1/2023 at 5:14 PM, trademarkcomics said:

"Areas"(plural). I'd be afraid if you remove that one spot, there would be more you didn't see so all that would happen is the grade goes down with still a purple label. And that bottom right corner looks pretty crinkled, I doubt it gets any higher, just possibly blue instead of purple labeled. Nice looking book, I'd leave it alone if it were me. 

I was comparing it to similar descriptions I found, like the FF #1 from another post.  Their grader notes appear to separate the instances of CT, and looks to be from around the same time period :

Grader Notes

Color touch (Non-archival material small areas) Center Front Cover C-1
Color touch (Non-archival material small areas) Full Bottom Front Cover C-1
Light subscription crease front cover breaks color
Readers crease front cover breaks color
Small, multiple smudge back cover

I would assume the "areas" is part of the generic list item in their cataloging software.  (ie. selecting "Color touch (Non-archival material small areas)" and typing in the location)  (shrug)

Oh, well... I'll probably just leave it as is.

On 6/1/2023 at 4:50 PM, CAHokie said:

There is color touch and then there is Color Touch! Check out this sweet issue I got here. I keep it just for lol and sometimes :(

IMG_9680.thumb.jpeg.0639548d23678c75d00cb5cddecec214.jpegIMG_9683.thumb.jpeg.16dd068754d20a6b88a1ae959bcb9e73.jpegIMG_9681.thumb.jpeg.6be295d12bc96d507d6c1f01e6a1ad03.jpeg

Send it to CGC...Restored C-1 "Small amount of color touch on cover." 

hughkidding.gif.2f87fdc63b10518534a2dc262b99ae11.gif

What is funny is that as I go through my collection looking for books to send in I seem to find in the Golden Age books more color touch than in silver age.  Was it just more accepted to CT golden age books because they were older?  Don't get me wrong I do find it in my silver age too, but not as often.  (usually on bigger books like an FF #4)