• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PBA galleries auctioneers new collection 40000+ Every DC
9 9

328 posts in this topic

On 7/12/2023 at 3:16 PM, Bronty said:

Maybe he can tell us about the part of the wiki article that he linked which discusses him having been outed in 2017 for selling bootlegged collectible records.   🤔 

Or maybe not because clearly he will just enjoy the attention.   I’m logging off 😂 

That's a malicious lie which I had not seen until now and have to take legal action against.

On 7/12/2023 at 12:58 PM, Ian_Levine said:

That's a malicious lie which I had not seen until now and have to take legal action against.

fair enough.   It may interest you to know that a simple search brings up some forum posts on "soul source" which seem, to my layman eyes, to be a list of records individuals allege to have been part of this bootlegging referred to as "Ian Levine lookalike bootlegs."

Edited by Bronty

On 7/12/2023 at 9:58 AM, Ian_Levine said:

it is easy to accuse....being gulity is another thing.........Ian why would somebody accuse you of this....I am unfamiliar with the record collecting world.

Edited by Mmehdy

On 7/13/2023 at 3:58 AM, Bronty said:

fair enough.   It may interest you to know that a simple search brings up some forum posts on "soul source" which seem, to my layman eyes, to be a list of records individuals allege to have been part of this bootlegging referred to as "Ian Levine lookalike bootlegs."

What are you trying to achieve here???

On 7/12/2023 at 7:16 PM, Microchip said:

What are you trying to achieve here???

Its the same thing every 5 years.    Comes along talking about himself until he punches himself out and then we get to wait for the next five years for it to happen again.    It was annoying 20 years ago and its annoying now.    Despite all that, I occasionally give a straight answer when he asks why anyone would be annoyed... with the hope of having the earnest answer get through, but anything earnest that is less than glowing praise doesn't get responded to does it?

As for the article, Ian linked the article, not me.   That was information that he brought to the discussion.    And while I don't know anything about record collecting nor have any personal knowledge of the situation, I tend to think Ian wouldn't do that sort of thing (although I really don't know and can't help but wonder).   As Mitch said, its easy to accuse.   

Edited by Bronty

On 7/13/2023 at 12:34 PM, Bronty said:

Its the same thing every 5 years.    Comes along talking about himself until he punches himself out and then we get to wait for the next five years for it to happen again.    It was annoying 20 years ago and its annoying now.    Despite all that, I occasionally give a straight answer when he asks why anyone would be annoyed... with the hope of having the earnest answer get through, but anything earnest that is less than glowing praise doesn't get responded to does it?

As for the article, Ian linked the article, not me.   That was information that he brought to the discussion.    And while I don't know anything about record collecting nor have any personal knowledge of the situation, I tend to think Ian wouldn't do that sort of thing (although I really don't know and can't help but wonder).   As Mitch said, its easy to accuse.   

Records have nothing to do with comics, and has zero to do with why we're all interested in hearing from Ian.    Drilling in on that just makes you look antagonistic from the start.   Your attitude is there for all us to see.

lighten up.  no one is attacking Ian, and its easy to fall in love with his quest. Many f its were here when he was finishing it, and the sour taste his words and actions left with us in still fresh. Try to imagine the boards in the first few years.  It was a new place to gather and exchange info and share comics knowledge.  Then imagine someone showing up and using the group to further their goals... then poof. gone 

anyway, glad hes back.  hope he stays.  But as we have seen, He's only here for himself.  First to find the last dozen books he needed. And now cause hes being talked about again. Read the entire thread from way back then for a little more insight as to why you are reading some less than lauditory posts and labeling them 'antagonistic'.. 

On 7/13/2023 at 3:15 PM, Aman619 said:

lighten up.  no one is attacking Ian, and its easy to fall in love with his quest. Many f its were here when he was finishing it, and the sour taste his words and actions left with us in still fresh. Try to imagine the boards in the first few years.  It was a new place to gather and exchange info and share comics knowledge.  Then imagine someone showing up and using the group to further their goals... then poof. gone 

anyway, glad hes back.  hope he stays.  But as we have seen, He's only here for himself.  First to find the last dozen books he needed. And now cause hes being talked about again. Read the entire thread from way back then for a little more insight as to why you are reading some less than lauditory posts and labeling them 'antagonistic'.. 

I was there the first time around.  And the boards have a firm reputation for chasing off those they deem better than them.   There's a long list of people chased off from the boards by boardies here with very thin skin.

And we're seeing the exact same disingenuous behaviour play out again.

Bronty coming straight in with accusations around bootleg records was a jerk move, plain and simple. 

Edited by Microchip

On 7/13/2023 at 3:34 AM, Bronty said:

I linked the Wikipedia page not knowing that somebody had used it to malign me. I was unaware until you mentioned it. The malicious falsehood has now been removed so thankyou. You did me a great service by pointing it out, making me deeply grateful to you for bringing it to my attention

Edited by Ian_Levine

On 7/12/2023 at 10:38 PM, Mmehdy said:

it is easy to accuse....being gulity is another thing.........Ian why would somebody accuse you of this....I am unfamiliar with the record collecting world.

It's impossible to go through my kind of life without making bitter nasty enemies. One such twisted deluded creature in Hamilton, Canada, has publicly vowed to besmirch my name in any way possible

On 7/13/2023 at 6:28 AM, Ian_Levine said:

I linked the Wikipedia page not knowing that somebody had used it to malign me. I was unaware until you mentioned it. The malicious falsehood has now been removed so thankyou. You did me a great service by pointing it out, making me deeply grateful to you for bringing it to my attention

Good… welcome

On 7/13/2023 at 5:15 AM, Microchip said:

I was there the first time around.  And the boards have a firm reputation for chasing off those they deem better than them.   There's a long list of people chased off from the boards by boardies here with very thin skin.

And we're seeing the exact same disingenuous behaviour play out again.

Bronty coming straight in with accusations around bootleg records was a jerk move, plain and simple. 

Read it again.   I made no accusations .   I asked him to explain information he himself linked us to.    There’s a world of difference between asking for an explanation and making an accusation.     Not that he’s really addressed it except in a perfunctory way. 

Whether you think it’s a jerk move or not… if you think so then fine, you think so.   And if you’re that concerned about attitude consider how bangzoom’s thread about his collection went, how Ian’s went, and why that might be.    The books were similar in many ways but the outcome was not… why do you think that was?

Anyways.    That’s enough of this for me for today ;)

Edited by Bronty

On 5/31/2023 at 7:27 PM, tth2 said:
On 5/31/2023 at 5:24 PM, atomised said:

wonder why someone would skip the marketing power of HA and go with a small auctioneer in Berkeley that most people have never heard of

I had the same question, as well as why did he initially with Sotheby's, who might be a big name but not when it comes to comics.

Exact same question that I had and since @Ian_Levine is here himself, maybe he has an answer to this question as to why the consignor did not go with a much more established comic book auctioneer such as Heritage or CC?  ???

On 7/13/2023 at 7:10 AM, lou_fine said:

Exact same question that I had and since @Ian_Levine is here himself, maybe he has an answer to this question as to why the consignor did not go with a much more established comic book auctioneer such as Heritage or CC?  ???

On 7/13/2023 at 3:32 AM, Ian_Levine said:

It's impossible to go through my kind of life without making bitter nasty enemies. One such twisted deluded creature in Hamilton, Canada, has publicly vowed to besmirch my name in any way possible

Makes sense Ian.....the bigger you in the collecting world, the bigger the target. When I first came on, it was on like donkey kong, a lot of people came after me. You either sink or swim...the sinker leave the form, the swimmers like you and me become teflon...bounce it off and come right back at them. I was wondering Ian if you considered buying some of your collection, especially the ultra rare editions that most collectors would not appreciate, in a way buying back some of the best. To that point, the choice of auction house for your collection is very weak and a number of buyers, especially international that Ha or CC would have on their customer lists are not going to find out about it.  So repurchase price could be reasonable on the material you would really want, especially the very early books you purchased with special meaning. I know you stopped buying, but I have suggestion for you, by the hardcover DC omnibus editions of JSA and Green Lantern...the sliver age ones and reread them and see if you can get back into the collecting bug.Your collection is once in a lifetime...which means you have one last chance to cherry pick and get back some the unknown and super rare editions.  Even if means just 10-20 books  instead of 40K and you could start a new thead...the Ian Levine collection II...the good stuff  book by book ,Give it a thought!!!!!

Edited by Mmehdy

On 7/13/2023 at 7:10 AM, lou_fine said:

I can think of a lot of reasons:

• Heritage has many other priorities whereas PBA will likely make this a main focus;

• Many books are lower grade and PBA has been doing a good job on lower grade book auctions so far;

• They might like the people at PBA;

• PBA may have a much better cost structure;

• The advantages of selling through Heritage mainly apply to high priced and high grade books which most of this collection will not be;

• Heritage might have wanted to cherry pick;

etc. add your own.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 7/13/2023 at 8:58 AM, sfcityduck said:

• The advantages of selling through Heritage mainly apply to high priced and high grade books which most of this collection will not be;

And for these two reasons alone, I would have gone for CC over Heritage if I was choosing between the two.  (thumbsu

But most definitely not a site like PBA where the the overwhelming majority of potential comic book bidders would not even know about, let alone visit and thengo through the whole registration process in order to bid.  doh!

I can think of a lot of reasons:

• Heritage has many other priorities whereas PBA will likely make this a main focus;

• Many books are lower grade and PBA has been doing a good job on lower grade book auctions so far;

• They might like the people at PBA;

• PBA may have a much better cost structure;

etc. add your own.

I think those are good reasons but I personally have never heard of PBA in all my years of collecting and if wasn't discussed here on the boards, that would have remained to be true up and through this auction.

Okay, you made me actually go and Googled up PBA Galleries and I found this:  (thumbsu

PBA Galleries is proud to present a historic event: The sale of The DC UNIVERSE COLLECTION

CGC4278170-001_OBV-645x1024.jpg

The DC UNIVERSE comprises over 40,000 comic books including a copy of every single comic published by DC for retail sale from 1934 through 2014.

The collection will be sold in a series of sales beginning with the Batman books on Thursday, November 9th, 2023. Other themed sales will follow in 2024.

CGC has awarded this unprecedented collection its own provenance designation: The DC Universe Collection. Hundreds of books from the collection will be graded and certified by CGC.

Based upon that blub up above, since only hundreds (i..e. < 1,000) of books will be graded, does that mean tens of thousands or some 98% of them are going to be auctioned off as raw copies at probably much lower than normal prices?  hm  :)

Edited by lou_fine