• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PBA galleries auctioneers new collection 40000+ Every DC
9 9

328 posts in this topic

On 6/6/2023 at 9:53 AM, Bronty said:

If all they needed or wanted was 10 copies it seems to me that the minimum order quantity is neither here nor there?    If I want 10 copies but your minimum quantity is 1,000 I can just have 10 printed and pay the rate for 1,000 -  I might not even want the hassle of dealing with the extra 990 copies if I don't intend to distribute.

But they did not have print on demand technology in 1939. To set up a 64 page comic, run then stop a web press may even mean a minimum print run of 2k copies collated. Give away the extras at the All-American/National comics Dec, 1939 X-mas party?

Edited by aardvark88
sp.

On 6/4/2023 at 9:22 PM, woowoo said:

Ian told me on the phone that Matt Nelson put this together for him and from what he knows over the years this is what it would have looked like. I would say he was wrong since a copy did come to Auction on CC. I guess the answer to your question is (shrug)

IMG_1533.jpeg

I wonder how many coverless More Fun, All-American, Movie Comics or Mutt and Jeff comics Mr. Nelson chopped up to marry 7-8 copies of the faux Double Action #1 at a price of $500/copy for Ian?

On 6/6/2023 at 4:37 PM, aardvark88 said:

But they did not have print to order technology in 1939. To set up a 64 page comic, run then stop a web press may even mean a minimum print run of 2k copies collated. Give away the extras at the All-American/National comics Dec, 1939 X-mas party?

(thumbsu

On 6/6/2023 at 1:44 PM, aardvark88 said:

I wonder how many coverless More Fun, All-American, Movie Comics or Mutt and Jeff comics Mr. Nelson chopped up to marry 7-8 copies of the faux Double Action #1 at a price of $500/copy for Ian?

The whole inside is photocopies of whatever.lol

On 6/6/2023 at 4:44 PM, aardvark88 said:

What is the story behind this? Why did Matt and Ian create faux Double Action #1s? They didn't think a real one existed so they created what it might look like??? So Ian could complete his DC collection? But then a real one was discovered? 

Edited by KCOComics

On 6/7/2023 at 6:56 AM, KCOComics said:

Why did Matt and Ian create faux Double Action #1s? They didn't think a real one existed so they created what it might look like??? So Ian could complete his DC collection? But then a real one was discovered? 

Yes. Not sure when the faux Double Action 1's were built: about 10 years ago? 1 Frankensteined master copy of Double Action 1 then the other 7 copies photocopied with a color laser copier for a total of about $4k in costs to Ian?

On 6/27/2023 at 10:01 PM, sfcityduck said:

What’s the name of the woman who beat Ian out to the first whole DC collection and is she still maintaining it?

Christine Farrell. I assume she's still around and I don't think she would've sold anything.

On 6/27/2023 at 11:10 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

They’re heavily restored right?

You can't see all that paint in the image?

The DC27 has paint all over the title reds on the left (and other areas).  The AC1 looks like it's had pieces added near the top left of the cover image all the way up to the "No. 1".

Cool books that I'd be happy to own!!

On 6/27/2023 at 3:30 PM, Yorick said:

The DC27 has paint all over the title reds on the left (and other areas).  The AC1 looks like it's had pieces added near the top left of the cover image all the way up to the "No. 1".

So they are heavily restored.

On 6/28/2023 at 10:39 AM, LDarkseid1 said:
On 6/28/2023 at 6:30 AM, Yorick said:

So they are heavily restored.

Yes, that's the only way Ian could've afforded those books for his collection.  He's rich, but not super-rich.

On 6/27/2023 at 6:33 PM, sfcityduck said:

Here's a link to that old local tv video which includes a visit/interview with Christine Farrell.  Seems like a very nice person with some very nice looking books being stored old school (Bangzoom would be proud). Check out the LB Cole paintings also.  The local tv guy touching the comics makes me cringe, as do his questions, but she has a great demeanor.  Her part starts around 19:08 mark.  If you want to see the rest of the episode it concerns Sid Couchey (Richie Rich artist), Ray McCarthy (Batman inker), and Pierre Rioux (DC Comics printing plant manager).  It apparently dates back to 1995.

https://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip-113-021c5fmk

I love how at 23:03, she nonchalantly passes over an Action Comics #1 without even mentioning it.  The interviewer doesn't even notice.

On 6/27/2023 at 10:08 PM, RareHighGrade said:

I love how at 23:03, she nonchalantly passes over an Action Comics #1 without even mentioning it.  The interviewer doesn't even notice.

She was probably afraid he’d pick it up.  Her comics are in nice shape despite the lack of boards like Bangzooms.  I wonder if they knew each other.  She is probably around his age but he likely was deeper into fandom earlier than she was.

Edited by sfcityduck