• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HERO RESTORATION - BOOKS NOT BEING RETURNED
20 20

961 posts in this topic

On 6/21/2023 at 5:21 PM, Black_Adam said:

Did Hero send CGC a cease and desist letter to shut down this thread?   :wavingwhiteflag:

No.  Hero's is not NYComics. 

(heh... for anyone that doesn't know... do a seach)

giphy.gif

On 6/21/2023 at 2:23 PM, Flanders82 said:

Not yet. I confirmed with @Hero Restoration that they're planning on it, but it will take a couple years because of the current workload. 

Can't tell if this is serious or a joke (the cease and desist part), but even if they did, there's no actual basis for it.  CGC is a platform that allows for discussions.  It's not like CGC is the ones actually saying anything negative here.  It's just people having water cooler talk and leaving reviews.

All seriousness aside, the last thing Hero needs is bloodsucking lawyers.  

Coi21ywUEAAQ467.jpg

On 6/21/2023 at 2:31 PM, ExNihilo said:

Can't tell if this is serious or a joke (the cease and desist part), but even if they did, there's no actual basis for it.  CGC is a platform that allows for discussions.  It's not like CGC is the ones actually saying anything negative here.  It's just people having water cooler talk and leaving reviews.

All seriousness aside, the last thing Hero needs is bloodsucking lawyers.  

Coi21ywUEAAQ467.jpg

Sorry.  They did not.  "In before the lock" is old school (showing my old age).

Edited by HighRadArt

On 6/21/2023 at 5:59 PM, HighRadArt said:

Sorry.  They did not.  "In before the lock" is old school.

I knew what you meant! :bigsmile:

I love a good pile on but I am hoping this doesn’t turn into that. I don’t want there to be any more lame excuses (or health effects) for people not getting their books back. 

On 6/21/2023 at 5:59 PM, HighRadArt said:

Sorry.  They did not.  "In before the lock" is old school (showing my old age).

Besides... it is no longer figured in the point calculation system... if someone were still keeping track of such things. 

side-eye-meme-625x399.jpg

I am honestly astonished by the lack of resolution to this case. Like, there is so much money at stake here and I know I would personally be clawing at the walls if I lost high-dollar books like this.

Incidentally, I will be offering restoration services for high-value Golden Age comics. Just disregard my previous posts griping about how difficult it is to acquire GA books. It will in no way affect my operations :):):)

On 6/21/2023 at 2:06 PM, jimjum12 said:

...and at the bottom, in fine print, "The center of the universe is everywhere, it's circumference is nowhere". GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

.... truthfully, before this thread, I had still thought that Mike was held in high regard. I was hearing a lot of good things about him a decade ago. 

I suspect he is very good at restoration.   But when you start a business your skills aren't as important as your business management and business plan.

I mean, if you think about it, this business model is ingenious. 

1) You get paid before any work is actually done.

2) You put a stipulation that you agree that it can take as long as needed meaning you can do it whenever you want, if ever.

3) This one is the best part. No refunds if cancelled. Since you pay first, and there is no time limit, one could basically be paid to just put it in the box in the corner until the owner gives up.

Elon should have these clauses on the CyberTruck reservations.

I got a question.  Those who submitted their books to Heroes, did you actually read the Terms and Conditions statement?  Like were you ok to send both your book(s) and the money to him and risk your $ as non-refundable even if no work is done!?  That's just crazy!?  

My books have finally arrived back to me. There's good news and not so good news. The good news is - I've got my books back! The ASM 6  (posted previously by Hero in this thread) does look much better than it did.

Unfortunately of the nine books sent, three don't appear to be pressed, or at the least, pressed well. I'll assume they were pressed and possibly reverted? I don't know. There's a finger bend on the Invincible 1 that I would think should have come out in a pressing. Some spine ticks as well. The ASM 7 and FF 19 have multiple creases and dents remaining, that I would have thought an expert pressing would have at least diminished significantly. 

The biggest disappointment, however, was the FF 16, which lost a chip off the side, I'm assuming during the pressing process. Granted, the book did have pre-Marvel chipping, obviously making it susceptible to a chip coming off; I just thought an expert presser would be able to avoid that happening. Guess not. None of the books were cleaned. Or if they were, very, very lightly. These books weren't grimy to begin with, but certainly could have benefited from a cleaning, which was supposedly part of Hero Restoration's process. I've provided pics of an area, for example, on the FF 19, where I removed some myself. I wound up cleaning all the books. I will press the three or four, that could still use pressing, as well. 

At this point, it's all water under the bridge. I'm just happy I've got my books back. The ASM 6 looks much improved, a couple of others, such as the ASM 18 look nice. But I don't think anything that I couldn't have done myself, now that I've been pressing books. But it is what it is, you live and learn. I won't say it wasn't a bit of a nightmare, wondering if I'd even get my books back, after all the back and forth, strange emails, etc. A lot of time spent unnecessarily.  I feel for all the other folks out there still waiting on their books and to those that have gotten their books but have not been reimbursed when zero work was done. 

Here's a link to a quick video showing the FF 19 as I received it.

INVINCIBLE_1.jpg

FF 16-CHIP MISSING.jpg

FF_19_DIRT_REMOVAL.jpg

ASM-7-back.jpg

On 6/21/2023 at 9:40 PM, Dark Knight said:

I got a question.  Those who submitted their books to Heroes, did you actually read the Terms and Conditions statement?  Like were you ok to send both your book(s) and the money to him and risk your $ as non-refundable even if no work is done!?  That's just crazy!?  

I submitted my books in person at a show, so didn't see the terms. It's true, I could have researched a bit more on their website, so that's on me. I had sent books in the past (just two or three in 2018) and didn't have any problems. I had read they were a reputable business and considered one of the better ones, but hadn't really delved that far into it. Folks really do need to do their due diligence, it's true. 

On 6/21/2023 at 10:00 PM, Kamenliter said:

I submitted my books in person at a show, so didn't see the terms. It's true, I could have researched a bit more on their website, so that's on me. I had sent books in the past (just two or three in 2018) and didn't have any problems. I had read they were a reputable business and considered one of the better ones, but hadn't really delved that far into it. Folks really do need to do their due diligence, it's true. 

Isn't your fault though, really. And, as established, his terms of service are BS and likely don't even hold any weight.