• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you own a 9.8 CGC Book that you have never read?

17 posts in this topic

Yeah. If I cared enough I could buy it off Comixology I'm sure, but I don't, so eh, here we are. 

I have read every single book I have bought a copy of that is slabbed, yes. 

That was never the case, and I used to own thousands of books and slabs that I had never read. 

I started going through my collection and reading them and realized that, a lot of the books that I had collected, I didn’t even like that much, and felt stupid for owning a book I wasn’t proud of owning. 

So in order to curb my collecting obsessions, I make sure to read books and any book I’ve ‘invested in’ has been vetted first. 

You’d be surprised how many books I feel like are worthy of truly collecting. Not many. 

I have readers or reprints for all the graded books I own but thats easy when you collect mostly moderns.

The only 9.8 I dont have a reader copy for is the Spawn "Thanks" book.

Edited by lostboys

I’ve always tended to buy slabs of books that mean a lot to me, and so I’ve always previously read them as raws or reprints and been impressed enough by the story and / or artwork to be prompted by that into buying a UHG version later.

Beginning-to-end of the journey, there has to be a strong emotional connection.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I have this one for my "Fish in the Face" collection. I don't collect for 9.8s, so it is the only 9.8 I own (or that owns me). I also have about three raw copies but have never read them. I got the 9.8 from Big Richard here on the boards.

:gossip: P.S. I think Savannah's are garbage for pedigrees, but I seem to keep ending up with some of them. They should sell for a discount...., which may be why I keep ending up with them.

SwingWScooter18.cgc9.8.jpg

Edited by lizards2

I have read every comic book that I own a CGC copy off, all in hard copy. Some I have likely read 20 plus times. My favorite are the DC Bronze Age horror and mystery ones. I love those comic books, even the badly written and/or drawn ones.

I only own 1 9.8, that I bought off the shelf in 2001 and had graded myself. 

I have a ton of slabbed books I've never read. PCH, romance, some GA super hero. I also have BA books that are slabbed that I never read. 

i do read a good amount of comic books every year. I buy reprints of most big keys and a lot of atomic age and BA horror reader copies just to read the stories.... but if I'm being honest I probably haven't read the majority of my slabs.  

Heck,  I've never read Hulk 181 which is funny to think about it. I've read most of the other big BA and SA keys. 

Edited by KCOComics