• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's that time. New Overstreet 53rd Ed. out tomorrow. I still love the book.
3 3

161 posts in this topic

On 7/20/2023 at 2:03 PM, DanCooper said:

Sorry for the photo quality:

OS1.jpg

OS2.jpg

OS3.jpg

0S4.jpg

OS5.jpg

The Frankenstein in the room ...how many of these monster books do folks here have in NM- or within spitting distance of grade?  I can spit four or five times, then I get dry mouth.  :drool:

On 7/18/2023 at 2:50 PM, twmjr1 said:

Been buying it since #5 in 1975.

+1

I don't need one every year any longer, but I'm due for another. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 7/20/2023 at 11:20 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

The Frankenstein in the room ...how many of these monster books do folks here have in NM- or within spitting distance of grade?  I can spit four or five times, then I get dry mouth.  :drool:

The beautiful angel in the room though...........how many of these books would actually sell for these listed top of Overstreet guide valuations if they are in accurately graded true 9.2 certified graded and slabbed condition?  hm  :flipbait:

On 7/20/2023 at 5:01 PM, vaultkeeper said:

Chamber of Chills #19 in NM- is valued at $40,000? Didn't the 9.6 copy clear $100,000? Seems a little low for a NM- copy. (shrug)

Edit: GPA has the last sale of a 9.2 at $72,000.

Ahhhh...............that means the perfect sweet spot for all the lucky owners of Chamer of Chills 19 since there's still ample safety margin built into the current Overstreet $40K top of guide valuation.  (thumbsu

In other words, also the perfect sweet spot for the Overstreet team as there's many years of pending valuation increases set to put in place and even some left over to show a nice longer term increasing trend over time, even during some potential down periods.  Perfect case in point being Amazing Fantasy 15 which still managed to show a strong 18% valuation increase to $650K in 9.2 NM- top of guide, even though we all know that it was really a down year for AF 15 in the real marketplace.  hm  (:

Now, you certainly wouldn't want to be caught in the much dreaded sour spot of holding books like Tomb of Dracula 10 or Werewolf By Night 32 with substantial enough real world declines below Guide that even Overstreet had to drop their valuations dropped by 20% and 29% respectively this year, after raising them by a rather staggering 203% and 169% respectively in last year's edition of the guide which I guess raised their safety net to an unsustainable level given the post Covid/crypto collectibles crash.  hm  :tonofbricks:

Seriously though, I do own a nice copy of TOD 10 myself along with a recently discovered mid-grade copy of WWBN 32 which I never even realized I had in my collection.  Being a longer term collector though, drops like this don't really tend to bother me since I brought books like these (eg. TOD 50 and WWBN 33 being the only other issues I owned in these 2 titlles for some odd reason (shrug)) at much lower price points decades ago. :)

Edited by lou_fine

On 7/20/2023 at 12:03 PM, DanCooper said:

Sorry for the photo quality:

OS5.jpg

Can somebody please explain how Detective 225 got into the Overstreet's Top 100 GA Chart tied for 80th position when I thought it used to be considered to be the start of the SA back in the day along with Showcase 4?  ???  (shrug)

Here you go @Cat-Man_Americahave an internet beer on me for your dry mouth. dark beer | UrbanMatter

On 7/21/2023 at 9:36 AM, lou_fine said:

Can somebody please explain how Detective 225 got into the Overstreet's Top 100 GA Chart tied for 80th position when I thought it used to be considered to be the start of the SA back in the day along with Showcase 4?  ???  (shrug)

I think someone mentioned this earlier, but it looks like that "bridge" era between Gold and Silver (aka "Atomic Age") is being ignored by Overstreet, which means books like Detective 225, Adventure 210, etc. fall to Golden Age.

Edited by DanCooper

On 7/21/2023 at 6:36 AM, lou_fine said:

D225 (11/55) predates Showcase 4 (9-10/56) by almost a year and is viewed as late GA like Atlas revival superhero’s (1954-1955).

On 7/21/2023 at 7:29 AM, DanCooper said:

I think someone mentioned this earlier, but it looks like that "bridge" era between Gold and Silver (aka "Atomic Age") is being ignored by Overstreet, which means books like Detective 225, Adventure 210, etc. fall to Golden Age.

Good for him! Eras are a particularly weak concept and the “Atomic Era” bears no relationship to their original purpose or use in the eyes of the first modern comic fans who invented the concepts - DC invention of superhero comics and DC modernized revivals and resulting trends.

Edited by sfcityduck

I probably only have about a baker’s dozen but if I spit hard toward a 9.2 I would probably only get my shoes wet…

Here's a question I've always pondered, if John Jones/Martian Manhunter's debut/origin was in, say, House of Mystery #44 instead of Detective 225 (both November 1955 issues) would it be a $50,000 book in NM- 9.2?

The Batman "bump" can't be that great, considering Detective issues 217-224 are $1,400 in NM- 9.2 in Overstreet.

On 7/20/2023 at 5:31 AM, Bookery said:

I can feel for the editors at Overstreet (I thought Overstreet himself hadn't had anything to do with guide for years, but I could be wrong?).  When I began to get the first pulp guide ready for 2001, prices really hadn't changed much on pulps in 10-20 years.  But in the time between compiling data, organizing it, getting it to the printers, etc., eBay had suddenly discovered pulps.  By the time the book was published in the summer of 2001, prices were already outdated.  Fast-forward to 2019, as I was working to update with the "2nd" (actually 3rd) edition.  Prices had stabilized for awhile.  Pricing is already several months old by the time you get the text organized, the material sent off to the publisher (this time Heritage), it goes through editorial revisions, then off to the printers.  In a stable market, not a big deal.  But once again my timing was off.  By the book's release in 2020, CGC had announced it would be slabbing pulps, which was a huge and immediate market driver.  Then Covid hit, and pricing of all collectibles went through the roof.  

By the time the book came out, some of the prices were off by a factor of 5x-10x!  So much so, that after all that work, Heritage only ran off a few hundred copies and called it a day, feeling that it was already an outdated work (though for some reason, they still quote its values in their auctions).  

I'm glad I got a copy when it came out, as it's an invaluable reference.  As someone pointed out, there are probably fewer copies of this guide out there than copies of the 70 year old pulp that bears its cover art.

On 7/21/2023 at 9:36 PM, lou_fine said:

It's been a while since I took Logical Reasoning in college, but I'll give it a shot:

1.  The Silver Age began with Showcase 4

2.  Detective 225 came out before Showcase 4

3.  The Age that came before the Silver Age is the Golden Age

4.  Ergo, Detective 225 is a Golden Age book

See Prof Davis, I wasn't sleeping through your class! 

On 7/22/2023 at 3:52 AM, DanCooper said:

Here's a question I've always pondered, if John Jones/Martian Manhunter's debut/origin was in, say, House of Mystery #44 instead of Detective 225 (both November 1955 issues) would it be a $50,000 book in NM- 9.2?

The Batman "bump" can't be that great, considering Detective issues 217-224 are $1,400 in NM- 9.2 in Overstreet.

Depends on whether Bob owned a copy of HOM 44.