• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the biggest bite CCS & CGC have taken out of one of your books?
2 2

19 posts in this topic

I'll get it started, recently submitted an old label WWBN 32 9.2 for a clean and press and came back an 8.5 :( 

I guess my real question (or lifelong regret now) is if I would have submitted this for a simple re-holder, would it have come back with the original 9.2?

On 7/31/2023 at 8:38 AM, tushmen36 said:

I'll get it started, recently submitted an old label WWBN 32 9.2 for a clean and press and came back an 8.5 :( 

I guess my real question (or lifelong regret now) is if I would have submitted this for a simple re-holder, would it have come back with the original 9.2?

If the book was not damaged inside the older holder, than yes

On 7/31/2023 at 8:38 AM, tushmen36 said:

if I would have submitted this for a simple re-holder, would it have come back with the original 9.2?

With CGC you never know. Their grading has been so inconsistent over the years. I've never used CCS but I've heard there are much better options out there. As suggested above, post pics and the grader's notes from the 9.2 and the 8.5.  Maybe it'll shed some light on what happened, whether it was overgraded the first time or if CCS may have damaged the book. 

On 7/31/2023 at 11:38 AM, tushmen36 said:

As long as the comic was not affected by any holder damage, then yeah, it would've been the same grade as before.

On 8/1/2023 at 11:43 AM, tushmen36 said:

@CGC Mike Can I resubmit and get a "reholder" for Cert 1000435001 :) 

No.  (tsk)  Although you may have kept the "original" label, certification/encapsulation #1000435001 no longer exists.  That book now resides in a different holder, with a different certification number and a different label.  However, you could submit the book for yet another regrading (on your dime, either in its current holder or cracked out) and hope that it's assigned to a more lenient grader.

My diagnosis (for what it's worth): you CPR'd a book that clearly (based on the original grader notes) would not benefit from either a cleaning or a pressing.  Live and learn.  :foryou:  :hi:

CGC ate my lunch and then had me buy them another one. They did not have to do that. No, really. :)

I joke, since I have never submitted a comic book for pressing to CGC and/or to "get" a higher grade.

I sent in two immaculate comics for pressing (why not, shouldn’t hurt) and grading. Coming back right now with fingerprints and light cover bends on cover 8.0, 8.5. CCS appears to have uncleaned and unpressed my books. Hoping they’ll do something to make things right.

Edited by ravichopra

I guess in retrospect it was my fault. 

Submitted an 8.0 of ASM 1 with a Stan Lee Autograph. (It was a restored copy, please...)

I really wanted to enter it on the census. 

Came back 5.5.... and as per CGC, not only did they not recognize the autograph (as anticipated) but they graded it the same as if a pre schooler had drawn over it. 

Anyway, it's on the registry now. 

On 7/31/2023 at 11:38 AM, tushmen36 said:

What's the biggest bite CCS & CGC have taken out of one of your books?

That's an interesting turn of phrase. Many years ago I sent CCS a lovely midgrade Atlas horror book for a simple press job and slabbing, and when it came back slabbed it had a horrible mangled spine tear that actually kind of looked like a bite. This was before I had the sense to scan every book I sent, and I had a super awesome negotiation with CGC where they repeatedly suggested that the book must have been that way when I sent it. I was not terribly pleased with the settlement and sold the book at a loss just to be rid of it. My first and last CCS experience. 

I sent in a dozen books for a 9.8 pre-screen for press and encapsulation 6 were border line 9.8s hence the pressing. All but one came back with color breaks on the spine. I would never submit a comic for a pre-screen with color breaks. Maybe one slipped in with the rest sure why not, but 11 comics? sorry, but no. I will never have them press a comic again.