• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

F eBay. Other sales platform suggestions and experiences?
2 2

70 posts in this topic

On 8/4/2023 at 4:52 PM, manetteska said:

Correct, they can, it's called a return and there is a pretty standard flow and operation for returns.

eBay, as far as my account is concerned, does not hold my payments for 30 days in case there is a return.

Yes, it is a worst scenario if it has a case sooner or later.

Per Ebay if anyone is curious:

Additionally, we may place a transaction hold on funds depending on your seller status, changes to your account status, or other factors we use to help ensure a safe marketplace in all categories, regardless of whether the transaction is covered by our eBay Money Back Guarantee or not:

• New or infrequent sellers will experience transaction holds while learning best selling practices. This helps sellers become established and build a strong selling history on eBay. New sellers typically experience holds for up to 14 days, although sometimes it may be longer
  • Previously restricted or suspended sellers will experience transaction holds for the 30 days after the restriction or suspension is lifted, while we confirm that the items have been successfully delivered
  • High priced items or unusual selling patterns may lead to transaction holds for up to 30 days to help us ensure that buyers don't have any issues with the order
  • The authentication process may lead to transaction holds for up to 30 days until the authenticity of items sold with eBay’s Authenticity Guarantee can be confirmed

On 8/4/2023 at 6:47 PM, Tnexus said:

Per Ebay if anyone is curious:

Additionally, we may place a transaction hold on funds depending on your seller status, changes to your account status, or other factors we use to help ensure a safe marketplace in all categories, regardless of whether the transaction is covered by our eBay Money Back Guarantee or not:

• New or infrequent sellers will experience transaction holds while learning best selling practices. This helps sellers become established and build a strong selling history on eBay. New sellers typically experience holds for up to 14 days, although sometimes it may be longer
  • Previously restricted or suspended sellers will experience transaction holds for the 30 days after the restriction or suspension is lifted, while we confirm that the items have been successfully delivered
  • High priced items or unusual selling patterns may lead to transaction holds for up to 30 days to help us ensure that buyers don't have any issues with the order
  • The authentication process may lead to transaction holds for up to 30 days until the authenticity of items sold with eBay’s Authenticity Guarantee can be confirmed

Thank you.

I am by no means a high volume or high dollar seller -- probably a few items a month -- so unsure what their "factors" are (and I'm sure they'll never tell).

For the OP @D2, for high-dollar items if experiencing eBay 30-days holds regularly, use MyComicShop. On raws they may grade differently (i.e. lower) than you, but it is usually worth it for the hassle-free experience.

Used Ebay a few times...nothing bad happened, just didnt like having the anxiety over the liability of losing money over any issues with shipping so I turned to MCS...I have been selling and buying on MCS for several years (auctions)...great experience. I buy from comic link, I wont sell on their site because CL will list multiple copies of the same issue at very similar grades..I have noticed that when this happens, sellers seem to lose out..great for buyers though. MCS strictly limits the number of same issues at auction

I can’t stand eBay but it’s the only platform I get any traction on. I tried selling on here and get crickets (or ridiculous offers). I belong to a half dozen FB groups and also crickets - plus I’m reluctant to sell high value items there when people use the G&S trick. I was a beta users on short box and have never gotten an offer ever.  I recently started trying Instagram but the only way that really works is if you list with a big comic selling page - and pay their consignment fee. It’s a like half of ebay tho so that’s promising but you do have to price aggressively.

On 8/4/2023 at 7:09 PM, MAR1979 said:

plus right now they can make a 30days of 5% or so annually on the dough. Actually with all the coin that passes through them probably much higher than 5%

That was my thinking too. They are just banking my money and looking good on the books. 

On 8/4/2023 at 7:15 PM, kimik said:

My experience is the same as yours. I have my account set to pay daily so other than the two days for processing payment (which is a blatant interest grab on their part IMHO) it goes into my account right away.

What the OP described is BS. I don't know how they can hold the funds for that long after successful delivery and positive feedback.

It’s total bs. I called eBay, of course. Made my claim, was transferred to a supervisor, made no difference. They were polite and I didn’t swear but I got nowhere. They said so sorry we agree, and that was as far as they take it. 

echoing a few people on here. My fear is eBay is the dirty cheater that keeps coming back. I’ve also had most traction on eBay and little traction on here. 

I really appreciate everyone’s insights. I will try the MCS route. 

Just curious though, everyone seems so down on comiclink, but no one has provided a reasoning. Just curious as to why. 

On 8/4/2023 at 10:16 PM, D2 said:

That was my thinking too. They are just banking my money and looking good on the books. 

It’s total bs. I called eBay, of course. Made my claim, was transferred to a supervisor, made no difference. They were polite and I didn’t swear but I got nowhere. They said so sorry we agree, and that was as far as they take it. 

echoing a few people on here. My fear is eBay is the dirty cheater that keeps coming back. I’ve also had most traction on eBay and little traction on here. 

Just curious though, everyone seems so down on comiclink, but no one has provided a reasoning. Just curious as to why. 

Mycomicshop will list on ebay for you too, and with their consignment fee you can list the price you want er think will sell and between the venues of mycomicshop's handle when they list on their site and ebay.

I didn't think anything bad with comic link, but I did post the 7 or 8 page thread that is currently in comics general. I encourage you to read, but I'll try to summarize but wish you had read.

Their current auctions are doing lousy because their site has either been hacked, or otherwise down for two days in the middle of auctions,

Without reading that thread you sound odd by asking what is wrong when right now it is very obvious that currently they're having a possible auction loss and breach of data, while the site is down and no one bidding losing sales. Also with no communication to the outside via emails of phone though people have reached out, which people are saying in the thread is typical.

Again there was a reason I gave you the link, but cest LA vie, just there may be more "CURRENTLY " THAT I MISSED. :cheers:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Just lol

Right now, that thread is taking the vissalage of comiclink for now, and they don't need to post it here too. Maybe you read it, benefit of the doubt, but they have their own emergency that I'm sure we will hear more about in coming days.

The alarming part for this thread? That thread said it is a common occurrence with outdated server software and etc.

All that said, proceed with caution  :cheers:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 8/4/2023 at 5:40 PM, Cman429 said:

I was a beta users on short box and have never gotten an offer ever.

I like the shortboxd app and basically only use it for their handy historical sales data which goes much further back than ebay's 90 days. Would definitely be down to make a purchase there, but two things: 1) I have never seen a listed price on boxd below the lowest ebay price, and 2) have never received a response off a single offer. Don't understand how the app still exists.

On 8/4/2023 at 11:06 PM, smarkjobber said:

I like the shortboxd app and basically only use it for their handy historical sales data which goes much further back than ebay's 90 days. Would definitely be down to make a purchase there, but two things: 1) I have never seen a listed price on boxd below the lowest ebay price, and 2) have never received a response off a single offer. Don't understand how the app still exists.

I've moved everything from ebay over to shortboxed. I may not get the same eyes and traffic as ebay but I have begun selling more on shortboxed than ebay and at a comparable pricing. The best part of all, it's only a 10% commission vs ebays 16% due to fees on transaction, shipping, and taxes and shortbox covers the shipping cost out of the 10% fee. They are now allowing raw sales for books over $25.

I'm going to give MCS a shot too but I just use ebay as free advertising or to blow out books at auction.

On 8/4/2023 at 10:57 PM, justafan said:

...I have begun selling more on shortboxed than ebay and at a comparable pricing. The best part of all, it's only a 10% commission vs ebays 16% due to fees on transaction, shipping, and taxes and shortbox covers the shipping cost out of the 10% fee. They are now allowing raw sales for books over $25.

So you have sold books at same listing price as you would have on ebay? Have you accepted offers? If the fees are less wouldn't you expect the asking price to also be less? Like I mentioned earlier -- at least in my experience -- the books I'm looking for are never listed at a lower price than the bay. Anecdotal, admittedly!

On 8/4/2023 at 7:40 PM, Cman429 said:

I can’t stand eBay but it’s the only platform I get any traction on. I tried selling on here and get crickets (or ridiculous offers). I belong to a half dozen FB groups and also crickets - plus I’m reluctant to sell high value items there when people use the G&S trick. I was a beta users on short box and have never gotten an offer ever.  I recently started trying Instagram but the only way that really works is if you list with a big comic selling page - and pay their consignment fee. It’s a like half of ebay tho so that’s promising but you do have to price aggressively.

What exactly is "the G&S trick"? I assume G&S means goods and services, but what is wrong with that?

On 8/5/2023 at 8:23 AM, jharvey said:

What exactly is "the G&S trick"? I assume G&S means goods and services, but what is wrong with that?

I’m guessing people abuse it by claiming something was wrong with the item or some other fake complaint to get a refund through paypal and keep the item and the money…

On 8/4/2023 at 9:16 PM, D2 said:

I can’t believe the supervisor did not correct it. That is a terrible decision. Hopefully everything works out well for you in the end. 

Re: Clink, my issue is that sales prices have collapsed there and as a seller I get less from Clink than eBay or other sites. As a result, I have shifted to buying there instead of selling. Unfortunately, my last submission with them for now has the bulk of the books in the current auction where I am getting pole axed sales price wise. 🤬

I stopped selling on Ebay when they went to Managed Payments a few years ago. I still buy there, but no more selling ... too many hoops.

I don't do social media at all, so no FB and those kind of places.

I've been buying/selling on CLink for years with no problems. But I'm starting to raise my eyebrows on some of my winning bids, so I've just recently started using MCS.

I was a little shocked at first on how much MCS said I was off on my grades ... 100% of the comics I sent them were way off according to them. Not just off ... way off. But the ease of selling there added to the fact that I'm still happy with the hammer prices on my auctions cause me to continue using them.

On 8/4/2023 at 12:00 PM, D2 said:

Has everyone else closed shop and dealings with eBay?

I’ve bought and sold comic books on eBay since 2015. 

It’s been a rough go, and eBay has never been kind to sellers. 

This was the last sale. 

After successfully completing a sale for $1,500 USD, which included tracking, signature authentication, and even receiving positive feedback on the sale, eBay has decided to stick with their 30 day policy and hold the sale funds hostage. 

So now after 8 years, I will no longer buy or sell on their platform again. I can’t support them when it’s already difficult to sell on eBay

So just wanting to see other peoples’ feedback with ComicLink as it might be the best alternative outside of Facebook marketplace. 

I dont know what policy that is for some sellers (bold).  I have been selling on eBay since 1999, and never had half the problems so many here say they have happen to them.

eBay has never held .01 of my money unless it was a return.

eBay still has the most traffic of buyers for comics 1975-current.  People moans and groan, but I make more money on eBay selling most CGC books (GPA records as well) than elsewhere at auction for book 1975-now.

My only opinion is for High Grade vintage or rare books sell elsewhere.

Example assuming auctions only.

HULK #181 CGC 4.0 = eBay

HULK #181 CGC 9.6 = Heritage, C-Link, CC.

Edited by NewWorldOrder