• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vaulted Labels
3 3

97 posts in this topic

On 9/27/2023 at 1:19 PM, Gator Guru said:

Would figure there would be so much backlash. Why the hate against custom labels? Seems lots of insecure collectors out there.

I haven't seen hate.  Aside from D2, of course.

I've seen people on both sides state opinions on these labels, based on the OP.  The idea that there is actual monetary value to custom labels is just a bit funny. 

So we said so.

Getting upset by that opinion is where I'm seeing insecurity.

I think they should keep all the labels "active".  While I don't want custom labels on certain books, others might look good with a matching label.  There are a few creator labels that I really like, and also several of those Ringling design school contest labels.  I have not sent in books to CGC for quite a while, but I am now.  There are no custom labels I want currently available for the books I'll be sending.  Oh well.  CGC missed out on additional $ from me.

I'm a bit OCD.  I imagine many of us here are.  When we can't get a set of books to match - that can be upsetting.  I might have to send in some old cases to be replaced with the newest generation slab so that the set will match.  :facepalm:

I can see all the points, but I would say unless CGC specifically claimed, "we are only offering these labels now and we will never offer them again", then its kinda a buyer beware situation, though people affected should certainly make their feelings known to CGC management.  But they should understand that CGC is likely going to err on the side of "we'll make more money this way".

So don't overpay for this truly artificial construct of a collectible, just get it if you like it and can afford it.

On 9/27/2023 at 1:17 PM, Gator Guru said:

They fixed the fantastic 4 one. 

So based on this craziness:

"What you will find is a lot of people dont like the label’s because it means all the books they have without labels are worth less"

Are these older, terribly designed unfixed labels worth more or less than the corrected version?

lol...

Basically to the folks that think this doesn't matter  - they are correct -  it DOES NOT MATTER TO THEM which I respect

however

they should understand it may matter to a lot of people -     I personally have several books with the NY spidey label and I purchased it because it was sold as available only for a short time and was exclusive!

I really like the idea of exclusive labels and to be honest if an af15  4.5    with the spidey label was the same price or even a bit more and  same grade without  I would get it with the label - thus immediately adding credibility to the fact that labels have value.

My take is there will eventually be so many of them anyway, they will be lost in the shuffle. Right now a certain number of people are buying them, only a certain amount available per season or year, and I don't really see a re-release being too much a threat to perceived scarcity. However that precedent compared to other labels such as the "only" Stan Lee would have me worried especially since there is no re-release clarification on the label etc.

I like the Stan as there is only one, and for now I can say it is the 1st one, but a re-release of that would be detrimental. Eventually and given time there will be so many floating around from the past that these things may or may not matter. I have no cause to believe that it makes a "slab" with more or less, it will depend on these other factors in the market to play out.

I got some because they were affordable, and or, hype at the first available! Stan was among the first and timely at that, of course I want to guard it, but idk how that will affect cgc bottom line. It isn't determinate nor detrimental at the moment. Except with this precident, I can see the need for a thread. To post in it or not? That is the question :insane:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 9/27/2023 at 5:11 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

since there is no re-release clarification on the label etc.

I'm pretty sure (not 100% since I'm just going off this image from the announcement, it isn't explicitly stated as such in text) that the re-release version of this label has the words "Vault Edition" on top of the marvel logo on the back of the label. The existing version of this label certainly doesn't have those words on it 

Edit: And it also says 2023

PROD-1428%20%20NYCC%20Spidey%20Mockup%20Article%20Image_v2%20(1)20230920132104724.jpg

Edited by JC25427N

On 9/27/2023 at 12:19 PM, Gator Guru said:

Why the hate against custom labels? 

I don't believe, if I say having a label makes no difference to me, that you can equate this with hate. I have some labelled books in my collection, as they were that way when I bought them. If I am interested in a particular book, whether it has a custom label has no influence on my decision.

On 9/27/2023 at 4:35 PM, JC25427N said:

I'm pretty sure (not 100% since I'm just going off this image from the announcement, it isn't explicitly stated as such in text) that the re-release version of this label has the words "Vault Edition" on top of the marvel logo on the back of the label. The existing version of this label certainly doesn't have those words on it 

PROD-1428%20%20NYCC%20Spidey%20Mockup%20Article%20Image_v2%20(1)20230920132104724.jpg

Whew then! A sigh of relief!

I can agree these labels might not be attractive on traditional trends, but as far as the hype train goes I thought cgc plugged one in the foot 😂

Thanks for the clarification! ^^

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 9/27/2023 at 3:37 PM, Magmar said:

Basically to the folks that think this doesn't matter  - they are correct -  it DOES NOT MATTER TO THEM which I respect

however

they should understand it may matter to a lot of people -     I personally have several books with the NY spidey label and I purchased it because it was sold as available only for a short time and was exclusive!

I really like the idea of exclusive labels and to be honest if an af15  4.5    with the spidey label was the same price or even a bit more and  same grade without  I would get it with the label - thus immediately adding credibility to the fact that labels have value.

This means that labels have value - to you and others, but not to everyone. 

Honestly, if I say I don't care for cheese, it doesn't mean that I hate cheese along with everyone that does enjoy it. It's just not my cup of tea.

However, I do resent people who feel that cheese needs to be inserted into every dish. Cheese in lasagna or cheese on nachos, that I can understand. Cheese poured atop pulled pork? That I don't get. I went to Culver's once, and I ordered a tuna salad sandwich. It came with a piece of cheese in the sandwich.

On 9/27/2023 at 5:35 PM, JC25427N said:

Certainly seems like a thing they plan on doing quite a bit going forward then. Its the same BS that Disney tries to pull with putting a movie into a vault and not releasing it anymore. 

Anything to drum up more interest and bring in more $$ I guess. Not sure I understand the need to add a “vault edition” insignia but I guess that makes it official.

On 9/27/2023 at 4:29 PM, MAR1979 said:

I do hope the original circa 1999-2003 blue label is un-vaulted.  No joke folks, I'm 100% serious.

That sounds cool. :)

I'm not sure that label would fit in the new slabs, although it wouldn't "look the same", :takeit:

On 9/27/2023 at 5:11 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

My take is there will eventually be so many of them anyway, they will be lost in the shuffle. Right now a certain number of people are buying them, only a certain amount available per season or year, and I don't really see a re-release being too much a threat to perceived scarcity. However that precedent compared to other labels such as the "only" Stan Lee would have me worried especially since there is no re-release clarification on the label etc.

I like the Stan as there is only one, and for now I can say it is the 1st one, but a re-release of that would be detrimental. Eventually and given time there will be so many floating around from the past that these things may or may not matter. I have no cause to believe that it makes a "slab" with more or less, it will depend on these other factors in the market to play out.

I got some because they were affordable, and or, hype at the first available! Stan was among the first and timely at that, of course I want to guard it, but idk how that will affect cgc bottom line. It isn't determinate nor detrimental at the moment. Except with this precident, I can see the need for a thread. To post in it or not? That is the question :insane:

Will likely never be a Stan Lee label again unless an agreement is met with his estate. When he passed CGC said they were not allowed to use that label anymore.

On 9/27/2023 at 1:19 PM, Gator Guru said:

Would figure there would be so much backlash. Why the hate against custom labels? Seems lots of insecure collectors out there.

No hate at all. Like Math Teacher said, they're just not for me. For everyone that likes them and wants to collect them, enjoy! Post some of your favorites and show 'em off!

On 9/27/2023 at 4:37 PM, Magmar said:

thus immediately adding credibility to the fact that labels have value.

Anything can have value.  Emotional value being the most common.

I was talking about monetary value.

Sure, you might pay more for a custom label, others might pay more for the regular.

That doesn't mean there is monetary value of one over the other, except for those who chose to pay more.

Anyway, it's nice they create something you desire.

On 9/27/2023 at 6:54 PM, Dave2739 said:

No hate at all. Like Math Teacher said, they're just not for me. For everyone that likes them and wants to collect them, enjoy! Post some of your favorites and show 'em off!

This is my current favorite (out of 5 books) that was reholdered + added custom label this year.
Waiting on one from CGC that may rival / beat this one though.

IMG_9669.jpg.a81b89050db76c45c16dea93e9f0e8ce.jpg

This is my favorite,  although like yours @Chamber of Chills is basically the cover repeated.

I do complain that the label notes are on the back of these, but it only affects for me certain issues. Mainly Issues that are further variant like, such as certain newsstand editions, so pick your battles. :)

3813219_Full_Obv.jpg