• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vaulted Labels
3 3

97 posts in this topic

I don't care for the labels. I won't pay extra for them, I don't like some of them, I think others look cool. I can appreciate and respect why some like and collect them. I think what I collect rocks and what you collect also rocks because you chose to take on that endeavor to make the hobby enjoyable to you. I feel sad/bad for those who bought into the exclusivity of the labels. It is naive to expect a manufactured rarity to ever remain so as long as a company has the right and ability to reproduce it in the future. I feel happy/good for those original adopters if cgc is differentiating the rerelased versions of the labels. I feel bad/sad for those OCD label collectors who will now have to resub their entire collection to get their books prevaulted labels to match the new unvaulted labels.

I do like the original 1999 labels and wish they would bring those back with the same top label strip font but just want them to make the cert # font big enough to read and keep the QR code on the back label.

I'm actually surprised they simply just didn't commission another Spider-man label and pay for the licensing. They obviously have to revisit the licensing agreement to reprint the previous label, why not just create a new one to keep the exclusivity of the "vaulted" label.

I'm going out on a limb and guessing here: the cost of commissioning the artwork and licensing might not be a "cash cow" by they time they factor in all the upsells they get on the custom label, but it's easy to see that these labels are simply loss-leaders for customers who want to have a little upgrade to their slabs, and it adds to the customization of their service. I think re-releasing something they said they wouldn't re-release works against them - as this thread is evidence of that - and leaves a bad taste in people's mouths who bought into the whole customization philosophy.

I'm sure someone floated the idea, and a room full of Yes Men heartily agreed. The idea for re-releasing is not a good one, that most people outside of corporate decision-making can see plain as day. There is actually no upside to doing it, as best-case scenario is that customers who had never seen it before pay for the upgrade at the cost of angering all the previous people who bought into the idea it was limited.

On 9/27/2023 at 7:41 PM, Chamber of Chills said:

This is my current favorite (out of 5 books) that was reholdered + added custom label this year.
Waiting on one from CGC that may rival / beat this one though.

IMG_9669.jpg.a81b89050db76c45c16dea93e9f0e8ce.jpg

While custom labels are not my cup of tea, I sure wish I had not submitted all my SW8's just prior to that label becoming available.  WithCGC lack of QC which has affected more than 1 of my submissions, I don't have the stones to take a chance on re-holding my SW8 9.8's :( My only custom label will remain the hobgoblin on my ASM238

On 9/27/2023 at 7:53 PM, jcjames said:

When a manufactured label becomes an artificially-rare collectible, what would that be called??

hm

to Riff on Poe;  "A Collectible Within A Collectible" -  means that the basic sense of reality has been thoroughly destabilized.

Edited by MAR1979

On 9/27/2023 at 1:28 PM, Sigur Ros said:

I haven't seen hate.  Aside from D2, of course.

I've seen people on both sides state opinions on these labels, based on the OP.  The idea that there is actual monetary value to custom labels is just a bit funny. 

So we said so.

Getting upset by that opinion is where I'm seeing insecurity.

Again and again, there was no hate from my end. 

In fact, all I do is point out your poor, degrading, attitude.

And you don’t like being called out. You’re probably not used to someone calling you out on your :censored:

But guess what, your attitude, sucks. And the fact that you don’t think it does, and you’re justified and right, is exactly why you repeat the same old habits over and over again. 

Because you think you are right. Pathetic

On 9/27/2023 at 7:40 PM, Lazyboy said:

Source?

Here’s the article: https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/12120/spider-man-nyc-label-nycc/

They use the idiom “vault” to denote the label was put into a place - using the modern parlance of the phrase - where it would stay forever. I.E:

IMG_5212.gif.beb8dfd73c60e046490a3e049a81a8aa.gif

Now, I’ll give people who may not get the reference the benefit of the doubt and that CGC is using the phrase “putting it in the vault” to mean: “use fancy hip lingo to make it sound ‘with it’ to the ‘squares’.” But for a lot of people: if you put something the “the vault” it’s never to be seen or heard of again.

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 9/28/2023 at 9:00 AM, Dr. Balls said:

Here’s the article: https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/12120/spider-man-nyc-label-nycc/

They use the idiom “vault” to denote the label was put into a place - using the modern parlance of the phrase - where it would stay forever. I.E:

IMG_5212.gif.beb8dfd73c60e046490a3e049a81a8aa.gif

Now, I’ll give people who may not get the reference the benefit of the doubt and that CGC is using the phrase “putting it in the vault” to mean: “use fancy hip lingo to make it sound ‘with it’ to the ‘squares’.” But for a lot of people: if you put something the “the vault” it’s never to be seen or heard of again.

So nothing but a poor inference? That's what I thought.

On 9/28/2023 at 1:15 PM, Lazyboy said:

So nothing but a poor inference? That's what I thought.

A poor inference is all anyone needs to start a five-page thread like this. I welcome the chaos.

On 9/28/2023 at 3:33 PM, Dr. Balls said:

A poor inference is all anyone needs to start a five-page thread like this. I welcome the chaos.

That is true.   That's all it took.  lol..

Anyway, I take "vaulted" to mean "safety box" or "secure storage", but I know others would take it to mean retired.

I don't know what they CGC has said because I just haven't paid attention to them, but as OP found out, they have the right to do what they want with their labels.

Except put DC characters on them ;)

On 9/26/2023 at 12:30 PM, D2 said:

Some member, can’t acknowledge the company that brought people together.

I always find myself defending CGC on these boards from a vocal minority that feel compelled to trash the company and their decisions on virtually all threads.

It’s sad to see how a company goes out of its way to create and monitor a message board, specifically to help create a community, only to help develop a vocal minority constantly hack and trash them with their toxic attitudes.

Do you not see the irony here? The OP was complaining about a CGC policy and you took his side against the very company you say you defend. 

On 9/27/2023 at 8:39 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I'm actually surprised they simply just didn't commission another Spider-man label and pay for the licensing. They obviously have to revisit the licensing agreement to reprint the previous label, why not just create a new one to keep the exclusivity of the "vaulted" label.

I'm going out on a limb and guessing here: the cost of commissioning the artwork and licensing might not be a "cash cow" by they time they factor in all the upsells they get on the custom label, but it's easy to see that these labels are simply loss-leaders for customers who want to have a little upgrade to their slabs, and it adds to the customization of their service. I think re-releasing something they said they wouldn't re-release works against them - as this thread is evidence of that - and leaves a bad taste in people's mouths who bought into the whole customization philosophy.

I'm sure someone floated the idea, and a room full of Yes Men heartily agreed. The idea for re-releasing is not a good one, that most people outside of corporate decision-making can see plain as day. There is actually no upside to doing it, as best-case scenario is that customers who had never seen it before pay for the upgrade at the cost of angering all the previous people who bought into the idea it was limited.

I called to change my submission to the unvaulted label and was told by the CS rep that was the 10th time today she had taken the exact same call. They are telling people they can try to change it but no gaurantees.

Im not upset but the point being that to CGC there really is no downside and I dont think people realize that. They give us this cool new or unvaulted label they feel like its a great product offered and besides what else are you going to do? Go to cbcs?

On 9/29/2023 at 12:40 PM, Juno Beach said:

Do you not see the irony here? The OP was complaining about a CGC policy and you took his side against the very company you say you defend. 

You are right. We should pledge our undying allegiance to one side no matter what. We are not able to support a cause or company or whatever and at the same time question some of the decisions that are made. We should just stick to a side and stand firm. We should support the motherland at all costs!

On 9/29/2023 at 12:40 PM, Juno Beach said:

On 9/29/2023 at 2:27 PM, Gator Guru said:

You are right. We should pledge our undying allegiance to one side no matter what. We are not able to support a cause or company or whatever and at the same time question some of the decisions that are made. We should just stick to a side and stand firm. We should support the motherland at all costs!

To be fair, he's the same guy who asked why I post on these forums since I apparently "don't believe" in the custom label.  ;)

Juno's question seems on point.