• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2023 CGC Grading Contest Season 2 Fall Edition #8 Round 4
10 10

114 posts in this topic

Off by .5 on every book except Punch (full grade off there). So I guess I rebounded a bit after my atrocious last round. I think the oldest comic I’ve ever submitted to CGC was from 1980 so grading these GA books is a trip. I’m so used to the harsh critique of modems that I’m consistently under grading these relics.

I’ve heard legend of a “Golden Bump” on these boards and now see the legend is real.

I was already at 30 points after that abysmal 3rd round so figured it didn't really matter. Personally I think when I am screwing up the most I'm not thinking what "I" think the grade is but rather what CGC would grade it at. When I look at them from my perspective and try and stay true to that, it seems to turn out better. Haven't done many of these but congrats to the winners! You people have some really good eyeballs and knowledge grade wise ;-)

That Pep Comics is multiple full grades nicer than that 4.5 Kid comics (not a lousy 1/2 grade nicer) and nicer that some of the other 6.5's we have in prior rounds in my opinion! :ohnoez:

The CGC grading guide allows for light staining like that in 7.0! :pullhair:

Was thinking there would be 5 rounds but I guess we're done.  Dam was just getting warmed up.  Anxious to see the final standings and Zzutak's metrics.  Thanks again as usual Mike for the contest...always fun.  I do maintain especially for older GA books that on any given day any given grader the final grade could be within .5 of two grades.  So in that sense bullseyes are a result of skill but a good amount of luck as well landing on the right .5 increment.

Well, instead of one disastrous 10+ round taking me out of the running, this time we hade two "poor" 8 point rounds, coupled with my two best rounds ever (2 + 3) for a respectable, if unimpressive, 21 total.  

One day, it will all come together....

On 11/4/2023 at 11:51 PM, CGC Mike said:

I heard he went fishing and forgot about the contest.

I'm starting to think that you weren't joking.... 

bored2.gif.84cf22b475954d8dda1c54ae0c590ea9.gif