• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay sellers getting cranky.
5 5

83 posts in this topic

On 12/2/2023 at 6:09 PM, fastballspecial said:

Unbelievable. Even worse are sellers that charge $1 per book if you try to buy more then one for shipping. 
I would have thought by now combine shipping would be the norm as I do it on every ebay order. 

That being said ebay does not make combine shipping easy to do. 

I never buy before having a conversation with the seller and i everytime that i want several items i ask the seller to make a private listing for me who contain everything that i want to buy and this way the delivery is combined ( and yes almost everytime the sellers accept to make it)

I add a picture for exemple with a purchase that i made last year >

In my country we said: "customer are king" and thats fair, if you dont want to lose 1 minute for me you will not have my money, end.

Screenshot_20231202-194559_eBay.thumb.jpg.ad9c099d7326c858db1f96924b7a0d52.jpg

Edited by BA773

On 12/2/2023 at 11:37 AM, D2 said:

So, I would like to confess,

I am, apparently, a cranky eBay seller. 

I have a green label book up for sale. It’s legit. I got it signed myself, and didn’t get it CGC verified at the time because I didn’t know enough about the program… blah blah blah. 

Fast forward 7 years, and I have the book listed.

Now I understand green label books are not ideal, but an eBay user (I won’t even call him a buyer) sends me a message, out of the blue (see attached picture) so I replied, so what’s your question? And his reply was basically telling me the book was worthless.

So you know what, I was rude.

But I think eBay users in general, are not a nice lot.

Edit: as a reference, I did meet my reserve bid, so, ironically, this eBay user was wrong, obviously  

IMG_3105.jpeg

Those people tend to be narrow-minded, as they fail to realize that not every single buyer is an enthusiast that knows all about the comic collecting scene. There's bound to be "suckers" who will buy something they think is worth the price, even if it might not necessarily be true. But yeah, it's a dictionary definition case of "mind your own business." I could list some pancakes at $500 even if I know nobody would ever buy them. Why do you care?

On 12/2/2023 at 12:09 PM, fastballspecial said:

Unbelievable. Even worse are sellers that charge $1 per book if you try to buy more then one for shipping. 
I would have thought by now combine shipping would be the norm as I do it on every ebay order. 

That being said ebay does not make combine shipping easy to do. 

Yeah... I've never been fond of sellers that charge extra shipping per book. It increases the total cost of shipping. I know they do it to offset fees/commissions, but it's still a lame practice.

Edited by stormflora

On 12/3/2023 at 4:45 AM, BA773 said:

I never buy before having a conversation with the seller and i everytime that i want several items i ask the seller to make a private listing for me who contain everything that i want to buy and this way the delivery is combined ( and yes almost everytime the sellers accept to make it)

I add a picture for exemple with a purchase that i made last year >

In my country we said: "customer are king" and thats fair, if you dont want to lose 1 minute for me you will not have my money, end.

Screenshot_20231202-194559_eBay.thumb.jpg.ad9c099d7326c858db1f96924b7a0d52.jpg

I hate the whole "customer is king" mantra. It leads to such entitlement in the real world. Undeserved entitlement and unrealistic expectations. 'The customer is always right'? Whoever came up with that saying needs to be shot. 

On 12/2/2023 at 1:57 PM, stormflora said:

Those people tend to be narrow-minded, as they fail to realize that not every single buyer is an enthusiast that knows all about the comic collecting scene. There's bound to be "suckers" who will buy something they think is worth the price, even if it might not necessarily be true. But yeah, it's a dictionary definition case of "mind your own business." I could list some pancakes at $500 even if I know nobody would ever buy them. Why do you care?

Yeah... I've never been fond of sellers that charge extra shipping per book. It increases the total cost of shipping. I know they do it to offset fees/commissions, but it's still a lame practice.

Some people walk by a hornet’s nest, and just feel compelled to hit it with a stick. 

IMG_3115.gif

I sell on eBay for a living and I'm not cranky,  If a buyer requests combined shipping and wants the difference, I completely send him the shipping cost difference.  A lot of buyers are not dealing with sellers who treat their eBay store as a real business. I'd rather the customer have a good experience and come back than be left with a bad rep, blocked, blasted on social media and getting negatives. I'm not going to fight with a customer over $5-10, it's just not worth it.  However, some buyers sending me messages asking for 40-60% drive me crazy, they're just fishing for a mega deal they can flip. eBay sales are recorded, so if someone gets a book for 60% off, now that registers on sales sites, and when that book is offered again, a buyer can say "Well, that book sold for XX amount, I'm not paying your price"  it just becomes a race to the bottom and collectors are left saying to others "Wow, This book has really tanked"  

On 12/2/2023 at 4:29 PM, Kevin76 said:

I sell on eBay for a living and I'm not cranky,  If a buyer requests combined shipping and wants the difference, I completely send him the shipping cost difference.  A lot of buyers are not dealing with sellers who treat their eBay store as a real business. I'd rather the customer have a good experience and come back than be left with a bad rep, blocked, blasted on social media and getting negatives. I'm not going to fight with a customer over $5-10, it's just not worth it.  However, some buyers sending me messages asking for 40-60% drive me crazy, they're just fishing for a mega deal they can flip. eBay sales are recorded, so if someone gets a book for 60% off, now that registers on sales sites, and when that book is offered again, a buyer can say "Well, that book sold for XX amount, I'm not paying your price"  it just becomes a race to the bottom and collectors are left saying to others "Wow, This book has really tanked"  

Sadly, I've had a hard time dealing with eBay sellers who do not offer combined shipping/request invoice at checkout. The whole "refund overpaid shipping" is borked by eBay's fees and commissions. What you paid for shipping might not actually be what the seller received, so when you ask for a certain difference back, the seller might not have ever received that amount in the first place. Frustration ensues.

On 12/2/2023 at 5:16 PM, stormflora said:

Sadly, I've had a hard time dealing with eBay sellers who do not offer combined shipping/request invoice at checkout. The whole "refund overpaid shipping" is borked by eBay's fees and commissions. What you paid for shipping might not actually be what the seller received, so when you ask for a certain difference back, the seller might not have ever received that amount in the first place. Frustration ensues.

The seller receives what you pay for shipping, minus the sales fee %. When he refunds part of the shipping, he loses that amount of money, but eBay credits back the fee % on the refunded amount. So there is no direct effect on what the seller receives, comparing if he charged the lower amount originally or higher amount less the refund. It's a non-factor.

On 12/2/2023 at 6:11 PM, Lightning55 said:

The seller receives what you pay for shipping, minus the sales fee %. When he refunds part of the shipping, he loses that amount of money, but eBay credits back the fee % on the refunded amount. So there is no direct effect on what the seller receives, comparing if he charged the lower amount originally or higher amount less the refund. It's a non-factor.

That's what one would expect, however...

I actually addressed with a few sellers directly about this issue when we encountered a discrepancy with the shipping cost paid. It became a heated matter that we had to discuss with eBay directly, while escalating to the supervisor. The screenshots we had of the final breakdown of costs did not match at all.

eBay has been making profits in the middle with the shipping costs and not being transparent about them with the seller. I imagine class action lawsuits will follow once more and more people find out about this.

Edited by stormflora

I guess it could happen. Never saw it in 25 years. Every transaction for me works out to the penny.

I do a lot of shipping refunds, even though I am set for combined shipping. Sometimes people don't use the cart, even though instructed to. Or purchase things hours apart, but shipped together. Never a discrepancy. 

On 12/2/2023 at 6:41 PM, Lightning55 said:

I guess it could happen. Never saw it in 25 years. Every transaction for me works out to the penny.

I do a lot of shipping refunds, even though I am set for combined shipping. Sometimes people don't use the cart, even though instructed to. Or purchase things hours apart, but shipped together. Never a discrepancy. 

It's probably a recent thing, with the whole introduction of eBay's shipping program and all, and eBay trying to push sellers to subscribe to that feature.

The easiest solution is to set up proper combined shipping discounts or enable invoice requests. Simple as that. But as soon as you try to circumvent eBay somehow by disabling those and "promising" to offer shipping refunds for overpaid shipping, it gets messy.

I don't know why any seller would ever disable shipping discounts, but there will always be those weird ones. So I've learned to never buy unless I know I can get a combined shipping discount or request an invoice without any errors.

On 12/2/2023 at 5:16 PM, stormflora said:

If sellers can't absorb a few bucks on the shipping/eBay Fees and still can't come out on top, they shouldn't be in business cause they don't know what they are doing. Most sellers do combine shipping, just add books to cart and request an invoice from the seller before paying, don't use your phone, use the desktop version, Invoice requesting isn't on the mobile app yet.  

On 12/2/2023 at 6:25 PM, stormflora said:

That's what one would expect, however...

I actually addressed with a few sellers directly about this issue when we encountered a discrepancy with the shipping cost paid. It became a heated matter that we had to discuss with eBay directly, while escalating to the supervisor. The screenshots we had of the final breakdown of costs did not match at all.

eBay has been making profits in the middle with the shipping costs and not being transparent about them with the seller. I imagine class action lawsuits will follow once more and more people find out about this.

Sellers are charged everything the buyer pays, shipping, taxes, ect... all comes off the top. However, Sellers do need to buy shipping boxes, bubble wrap, tape, gas, labels ect...it all gets passed to the buyer.  

On 12/3/2023 at 12:43 AM, Kevin76 said:

If sellers can't absorb a few bucks on the shipping/eBay Fees and still can't come out on top, they shouldn't be in business cause they don't know what they are doing. Most sellers do combine shipping, just add books to cart and request an invoice from the seller before paying, don't use your phone, use the desktop version, Invoice requesting isn't on the mobile app yet.  

It's rarely available on the desktop either. EBay is just moving away from it, no interest in helping buyers pay less shipping, less net fees to eBay

If you win several auctions, you could request an invoice with combined shipping. But you better have already inquired with the seller as to how that was going to work, how it would be calculated. Otherwise, your idea of combined shipping may be wildly different than the seller's. And after auctions close, you are committed to buying them, unless you reneg completely.

Most times now, eBay won't let you put Immediate Payment items into your cart, commit to buy, and request an invoice, like you could in the past. You get messages like Seller Does Not Offer Combined Shipping (even when they do) or Item Is Already On Sale, No Further Discounts Available. And if it does let you Request, again you are trusting the seller to charge a reasonable combined rate, if you didn't check ahead.

A workaround is to have the Seller send you offers, that you would accept and get invoiced. If you send the offers, eBay will likely make you add a payment method during the process. As the offers are accepted by the Seller, the card gets charged for each one, foiling the combined shipping. Now the Seller has to do a refund. Better to let the Seller make offers, you accept each one, but don't go to checkout until invoiced.

What a bunch of extra hoops and communication to have to go through thanks to greedy eBay

On 12/3/2023 at 12:43 AM, Kevin76 said:

On 12/3/2023 at 12:46 AM, Kevin76 said:

Sellers are charged everything the buyer pays, shipping, taxes, ect... all comes off the top. However, Sellers do need to buy shipping boxes, bubble wrap, tape, gas, labels ect...it all gets passed to the buyer.  

On 12/3/2023 at 1:28 AM, Lightning55 said:

It's rarely available on the desktop either. EBay is just moving away from it, no interest in helping buyers pay less shipping, less net fees to eBay

If you win several auctions, you could request an invoice with combined shipping. But you better have already inquired with the seller as to how that was going to work, how it would be calculated. Otherwise, your idea of combined shipping may be wildly different than the seller's. And after auctions close, you are committed to buying them, unless you reneg completely.

Most times now, eBay won't let you put Immediate Payment items into your cart, commit to buy, and request an invoice, like you could in the past. You get messages like Seller Does Not Offer Combined Shipping (even when they do) or Item Is Already On Sale, No Further Discounts Available. And if it does let you Request, again you are trusting the seller to charge a reasonable combined rate, if you didn't check ahead.

A workaround is to have the Seller send you offers, that you would accept and get invoiced. If you send the offers, eBay will likely make you add a payment method during the process. As the offers are accepted by the Seller, the card gets charged for each one, foiling the combined shipping. Now the Seller has to do a refund. Better to let the Seller make offers, you accept each one, but don't go to checkout until invoiced.

What a bunch of extra hoops and communication to have to go through thanks to greedy eBay

All issues that I have experienced first-hand... And don't want to ever go through again...

It's either automatically calculated combined shipping or guaranteed ability to request an invoice, unless it is a trusted or well-reputed seller.

On 12/2/2023 at 8:37 AM, D2 said:

So, I would like to confess,

I am, apparently, a cranky eBay seller. 

I have a green label book up for sale. It’s legit. I got it signed myself, and didn’t get it CGC verified at the time because I didn’t know enough about the program… blah blah blah. 

Fast forward 7 years, and I have the book listed.

Now I understand green label books are not ideal, but an eBay user (I won’t even call him a buyer) sends me a message, out of the blue (see attached picture) so I replied, so what’s your question? And his reply was basically telling me the book was worthless.

So you know what, I was rude.

But I think eBay users in general, are not a nice lot.

Edit: as a reference, I did meet my reserve bid, so, ironically, this eBay user was wrong, obviously  

IMG_3105.jpeg

I also love it when someone is trying to sell a book on one of the IG consignment groups and a person who is not interested in buying feels compelled to reply about how much less they paid for the same book.    Most of the IG hosts are gracious and just say “congrats” but I am sure in private they are thinking “F Off”