• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hero Restoration, Anyone know the latest?
24 24

1,376 posts in this topic

Thinking that it won't result in Mike giving Matt the comics is a little different than calling it a horrible idea. I know it's not a certainty that Mike will cooperate, but I don't see the harm in knocking on the man's door and politely discussing the matter. I don't believe anyone here is expecting a shotgun blast thru the front door.

I believe Chip mentioned people were concerned for Matt's safety. I don't recall anyone saying that, but IMO, that's a result of people watching too many cop movies.

In the end it's Matt's decision. If he feels comfortable doing it, he should do it. It's been a lot of wheel spinning and b!tching up till this point, time for a little action.

On 11/24/2023 at 11:31 PM, Tnexus said:

Not to burst bubbles here, but police would probably consider this a civil case versus criminal. I doubt they'd do anything. You willingly sent him the comics.

That was my initial thought and posted that in the original thread. As more information has come out though, I think a criminal case “could” be made but it would be up to a jurisdiction willing to move forward with it.

On 11/25/2023 at 6:46 AM, Gaard said:

Thinking that it won't result in Mike giving Matt the comics is a little different than calling it a horrible idea. I know it's not a certainty that Mike will cooperate, but I don't see the harm in knocking on the man's door and politely discussing the matter. I don't believe anyone here is expecting a shotgun blast thru the front door.

I believe Chip mentioned people were concerned for Matt's safety. I don't recall anyone saying that, but IMO, that's a result of people watching too many cop movies.

In the end it's Matt's decision. If he feels comfortable doing it, he should do it. It's been a lot of wheel spinning and b!tching up till this point, time for a little action.

My fear wouldn’t be physical but some sort of false accusation.  We have seen his comments so far and they are concerning.

On 11/24/2023 at 5:10 PM, Sauce Dog said:

Direct confrontation is pointless if the customers do not consent to their books going into the hands of a third-party that does not have insurance (we are operating under the assumption Hero Restoration still has insurance at this point).

Not sure how LLCs and insurance work, but can you have insurance for an LLC that was dissolved (I think someone pointed out his LLC dissolved in the other thread?)

On 11/25/2023 at 6:37 AM, Sauce Dog said:

Latest update:

Screenshot2023-11-25at9_37_29AM.thumb.png.8b4b120c1b3af3d052687fc1ab0623ef.png

While it would be nice if this were true, I’d be willing to guess he’s been keeping up the developments in this thread.  Seems like yet another stall tactic, an attempt to dissuade the aggrieved customers from coming forward because ‘he just might actually follow through this time if I just lay off him’.  But I guess we’ll see. 

On 11/25/2023 at 6:53 AM, flchris said:

Not sure how LLCs and insurance work, but can you have insurance for an LLC that was dissolved (I think someone pointed out his LLC dissolved in the other thread?)

He had insurance when it was operating.  The important thing is if he had insurance when it happened, not now.

On 11/25/2023 at 6:57 AM, CAHokie said:

My fear wouldn’t be physical but some sort of false accusation.  We have seen his comments so far and they are concerning.

That's what I was thinking as well.  Or something that would allow him to justify in his mind keeping all the books.  "You sent a thug to my house to strongarm me?  You'll never see these books again.  They're mine now".  

On 11/24/2023 at 8:31 PM, Tnexus said:

Not to burst bubbles here, but police would probably consider this a civil case versus criminal. I doubt they'd do anything. You willingly sent him the comics.

Sure, they willingly sent him the books. 

But if I start an organized operation to induce people to willing send me their property under what turns out to be false pretenses, refuse to return their property when repeatedly ask to do so by the owners and then limit or cut off communication altogether - that sounds like defrauding people of their property. 

I’m not a lawyer and I’m not up to speed on the laws in HR’s locality, but I’m pretty sure fraud IS a crime. 

Now, if people are only sending me $5 comics then yes I could see that getting brushed aside as a civil matter. 

But the kind of money we’re talking about here?  Again, not a lawyer, but I would have to think there’s some thresholds that have been hit for criminal charges. 

Edited by Number 6

On 11/25/2023 at 8:55 AM, Number 6 said:

While it would be nice if this were true, I’d be willing to guess he’s been keeping up the developments in this thread.  Seems like yet another stall tactic, an attempt to dissuade the aggrieved customers from coming forward because ‘he just might actually follow through this time if I just lay off him’.  But I guess we’ll see. 

There’s no doubt in my mind he is actively watching this thread.

On 11/25/2023 at 12:03 PM, Tnexus said:

Maybe there was one in the other thread, but someone should post the contract they signed when they sent in the books.

The Terms & Conditions that were agreed to when making a submission have changed many times over the years so you can't just reference the one online now (which has been scrubbed https://herorestorationcomics.com/terms-conditions/ ).

Each submission confirmation email sent to clients would simply indicate that the user clicked the "I agree to the Terms & Conditions" checkbox, it would not indicate which version of the TOS was used at the time (you would have to use the Wayback Machine to find an archive of the page on the date you made your submission). If however you made your submission prior to the July 2020 website revamp that used the old form system your original email should contain a TOS text block (see below for the last version of that text before the site was updated) 

Spoiler

<div style="height:300px;width:100%;border:1px solid #ccc;overflow:auto;">
<strong>Insurance:</strong><br />
Hero Restoration LLC has property insurance through Collectable Insurance Services. This insurance covers your property while it is at Hero Restoration, and during shipping from Hero Restoration to its destination.<br /><br />
If needed, for books that will be at Hero Restoration for an extended period, our underwriter can provide you with a document naming you and your property.
<br /><br /><strong>Payment for pressing:</strong><br />
Typically, payment is made after we have received and inventoried the books before requesting payment for pressing, since some clients want the books inspected for restoration or graded, (addition fee) first. If you are certain you want all the books pressed, you can request a total before you ship, by providing the forms, and include payment with the books.<br /><br />
<strong>Payment for restoration:</strong><br />
Hero Restoration charges the whole amount up front, turn around time starts when paid in full. Payment reserves your place in line to have the work done. This seems to be the fairest way to do books in the proper order, and to avoid more sent then what can be paid for in a timely manner. If multiple books are sent, the first payment will be required for all books at the same time. We can make some exceptions in this case but if you pay for one book at a time it may cause delays, since others will have submitted books to do, and push yours further back in line. The only time additional cost is added after payment is if the client agrees to more work after the fact, or the client decides more insurance should be added for the return shipping.
<br /><br />

<strong>Preferred payment method for CGC fees:</strong><br />
The best and accurate way to pay for the CGC fees is by debit/credit card. There is a place on the submission form for the information needed. This will be entered in on the CGC form, and you will receive an e-mail from us  informing you the total cost. CGC will charge your card once they receive the books.

<br /><br />
<strong>Shipping to HR:</strong><br />
The two requirements for shipping books to Hero Restoration are that you send USPS and signature is required. This is so that without a doubt the books have been delivered to the right address. DO NOT SEND FEX-EX/UPS. It is recommended to ship books in a box, (better yet, box in a box) rather than an envelope. It is also recommended to ship books registered mail or express for increased security. If you wish to send any other method than registered, adding more than $200 insurance will get you signature included for free.
<br /><br />
<strong>Shipping to client/CGC/CBCS:</strong><br />
The amount of insurance is determined by the clients stated value of the books. Shipping to CGC/CBCS is by USPS Express overnight, which is a fast secure method. Shipping to the customer by default is Priority if value is below $2000, Express if above. Hero Restoration LLC is not liable for the value of the book/s if USPS loses or damages the book/books. Hero Restoration will file a claim and transfer any payment by USPS/Collectable Insurance Services to the client.
<br /><br />
<strong>Liability:</strong><br />
It is very rare that a book is damaged from any of the processes performed by Hero Restoration LLC, but the potential for it to happen is possible. Hero Restoration LLC takes as many precautions as possible to prevent damage from occurring. Because of the interactive nature of pressing, damage is always a possibility. This usually happens due to comic books in fragile condition, which includes books that are tanned or brittle, spines exhibiting splits, loose paper on the staples, or pieces that are barely attached. Because it is impossible to ensure that damage will not occur, Hero Restoration LLC will not be held liable for split spines, covers or pages detached from staples, or detached pieces. In submitting books to Hero Restoration LLC, the customer acknowledges and accepts the risk for the potential of damage, and that Hero Restoration LLC, and its owner's will not be held legally or monetarily responsible or liable for damage to any book caused by handling or processes performed on the book. Customer satisfaction is very important, if any damage does occur that is our fault, Hero Restoration in good faith will try to find a resolution that will be satisfactory to the client.
Except for any express warranties set forth in these terms and conditions, company disclaims any and all warranties, express or implied, regarding company and/or the services, including but not limited to the warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. except as otherwise expressly set forth in the applicable guarantee, the maximum aggregate liability that company shall have to the customer, or any third party for whom the customer may be acting, arising from any cause, act, omission or other circumstance, shall in no event exceed the services fee or fees paid by the customer for the services ordered pursuant to this submission form. in no event shall company or any of its affiliates, or any of its or their respective employees, officers, directors or agents, be liable to customer or any other party for any indirect, incidental, special, consequential or exemplary damages, even if advised of the possibility of such damages, and except as otherwise expressly set forth in the applicable guarantee in no event shall the aggregate liability of company, its affiliates, and any of its or their respective employees, officers, directors or agents, exceed the fees paid or payable to company for the services.</div>

By default, Hero Restoration reserves the right to post on social media the books received, including before and after treatment photos. Clients can opt out by email request at any time, but existing posts already up will remain.