• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hero Restoration, Anyone know the latest?
24 24

1,346 posts in this topic

On 11/25/2023 at 1:24 PM, Sauce Dog said:

The Terms & Conditions that were agreed to when making a submission have changed many times over the years so you can't just reference the one online now (which has been scrubbed https://herorestorationcomics.com/terms-conditions/ ).

Each submission confirmation email sent to clients would simply indicate that the user clicked the "I agree to the Terms & Conditions" checkbox, it would not indicate which version of the TOS was used at the time (you would have to use the Wayback Machine to find an archive of the page on the date you made your submission). If however you made your submission prior to the July 2020 website revamp that used the old form system your original email should contain a TOS text block (see below for the last version of that text before the site was updated) 

Hide contents

<div style="height:300px;width:100%;border:1px solid #ccc;overflow:auto;">
<strong>Insurance:</strong><br />
Hero Restoration LLC has property insurance through Collectable Insurance Services. This insurance covers your property while it is at Hero Restoration, and during shipping from Hero Restoration to its destination.<br /><br />
If needed, for books that will be at Hero Restoration for an extended period, our underwriter can provide you with a document naming you and your property.
<br /><br /><strong>Payment for pressing:</strong><br />
Typically, payment is made after we have received and inventoried the books before requesting payment for pressing, since some clients want the books inspected for restoration or graded, (addition fee) first. If you are certain you want all the books pressed, you can request a total before you ship, by providing the forms, and include payment with the books.<br /><br />
<strong>Payment for restoration:</strong><br />
Hero Restoration charges the whole amount up front, turn around time starts when paid in full. Payment reserves your place in line to have the work done. This seems to be the fairest way to do books in the proper order, and to avoid more sent then what can be paid for in a timely manner. If multiple books are sent, the first payment will be required for all books at the same time. We can make some exceptions in this case but if you pay for one book at a time it may cause delays, since others will have submitted books to do, and push yours further back in line. The only time additional cost is added after payment is if the client agrees to more work after the fact, or the client decides more insurance should be added for the return shipping.
<br /><br />

<strong>Preferred payment method for CGC fees:</strong><br />
The best and accurate way to pay for the CGC fees is by debit/credit card. There is a place on the submission form for the information needed. This will be entered in on the CGC form, and you will receive an e-mail from us  informing you the total cost. CGC will charge your card once they receive the books.

<br /><br />
<strong>Shipping to HR:</strong><br />
The two requirements for shipping books to Hero Restoration are that you send USPS and signature is required. This is so that without a doubt the books have been delivered to the right address. DO NOT SEND FEX-EX/UPS. It is recommended to ship books in a box, (better yet, box in a box) rather than an envelope. It is also recommended to ship books registered mail or express for increased security. If you wish to send any other method than registered, adding more than $200 insurance will get you signature included for free.
<br /><br />
<strong>Shipping to client/CGC/CBCS:</strong><br />
The amount of insurance is determined by the clients stated value of the books. Shipping to CGC/CBCS is by USPS Express overnight, which is a fast secure method. Shipping to the customer by default is Priority if value is below $2000, Express if above. Hero Restoration LLC is not liable for the value of the book/s if USPS loses or damages the book/books. Hero Restoration will file a claim and transfer any payment by USPS/Collectable Insurance Services to the client.
<br /><br />
<strong>Liability:</strong><br />
It is very rare that a book is damaged from any of the processes performed by Hero Restoration LLC, but the potential for it to happen is possible. Hero Restoration LLC takes as many precautions as possible to prevent damage from occurring. Because of the interactive nature of pressing, damage is always a possibility. This usually happens due to comic books in fragile condition, which includes books that are tanned or brittle, spines exhibiting splits, loose paper on the staples, or pieces that are barely attached. Because it is impossible to ensure that damage will not occur, Hero Restoration LLC will not be held liable for split spines, covers or pages detached from staples, or detached pieces. In submitting books to Hero Restoration LLC, the customer acknowledges and accepts the risk for the potential of damage, and that Hero Restoration LLC, and its owner's will not be held legally or monetarily responsible or liable for damage to any book caused by handling or processes performed on the book. Customer satisfaction is very important, if any damage does occur that is our fault, Hero Restoration in good faith will try to find a resolution that will be satisfactory to the client.
Except for any express warranties set forth in these terms and conditions, company disclaims any and all warranties, express or implied, regarding company and/or the services, including but not limited to the warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. except as otherwise expressly set forth in the applicable guarantee, the maximum aggregate liability that company shall have to the customer, or any third party for whom the customer may be acting, arising from any cause, act, omission or other circumstance, shall in no event exceed the services fee or fees paid by the customer for the services ordered pursuant to this submission form. in no event shall company or any of its affiliates, or any of its or their respective employees, officers, directors or agents, be liable to customer or any other party for any indirect, incidental, special, consequential or exemplary damages, even if advised of the possibility of such damages, and except as otherwise expressly set forth in the applicable guarantee in no event shall the aggregate liability of company, its affiliates, and any of its or their respective employees, officers, directors or agents, exceed the fees paid or payable to company for the services.</div>

By default, Hero Restoration reserves the right to post on social media the books received, including before and after treatment photos. Clients can opt out by email request at any time, but existing posts already up will remain.

At the risk of beating a dead horse.... The full payment upfront baffles me. I can kind of understand this for pressing which is fairly straightforward and should have a quick TAT. But for restoration work?  Why not 50% down? So both parties have skin in the game. 

Right now, he has 0 incentive to do the work he committed to.... but if you could gain tens of thousands of dollars, just by finishing the work on hand, maybe he would do something really nuts, like work to dig himself out of a whole.  

On 11/26/2023 at 7:35 AM, KCOComics said:

At the risk of beating a dead horse.... The full payment upfront baffles me. I can kind of understand this for pressing which is fairly straightforward and should have a quick TAT. But for restoration work?  Why not 50% down? So both parties have skin in the game. 

Right now, he has 0 incentive to do the work he committed to.... but if you could gain tens of thousands of dollars, just by finishing the work on hand, maybe he would do something really nuts, like work to dig himself out of a whole.  

For arguments sake, if you remove money from the equation, what’s left? All I see is reputation. Since that has also gone “poof” what other incentive is there? 

On 11/26/2023 at 11:47 AM, VintageComics said:

I've had books worked on by resto experts and have NEVER paid upfront. 

This is just bad decision making by consumers. Who would pay for a renovation on their home upfront? 

I feel terrible for people who lost their money but I just can't see how anyone thought it was going to be a good idea. :(

This is a clear example of "buyer beware". On a positive note, our most costly lessons are our greatest teachers and I'm sure nobody will make that mistake again. 

Good luck everyone. Genuinely. 

Its almost like you are victim shaming. Which I could have sworn you were ranting against just the other day. 

On 11/26/2023 at 11:51 AM, wombat said:

Its almost like you are victim shaming. Which I could have sworn you were ranting against just the other day. 

Is the term "buyer beware" or caveat emptor victim shaming?

On 11/26/2023 at 11:59 AM, wombat said:

In the way you are talking about it after the fact, yes. 

Is there a way to use caveat emptor after the fact that is NOT victim shaming?

Because that is basically the way everyone uses it. 

Someone posts a bad deal and someone after the fact posts "caveat emptor". 

So all of these people are victim shaming then?

https://boards.cgccomics.com/search/?q="caveat emptor"&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=4

On 11/26/2023 at 12:14 PM, VintageComics said:

Is there a way to use caveat emptor after the fact that is NOT victim shaming?

Because that is basically the way everyone uses it. 

Someone posts a bad deal and someone after the fact posts "caveat emptor". 

So all of these people are victim shaming then?

https://boards.cgccomics.com/search/?q="caveat emptor"&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=4

You miss the nuance. What you posted won't help anyone here. Its too late. Who are you giving advice to? The people that have already lost money and books?

On 11/26/2023 at 12:22 PM, wombat said:

You miss the nuance. What you posted won't help anyone here. Its too late. Who are you giving advice to? The people that have already lost money and books?

Look man, I know I'm not your favorite person and haven't been for years. 

If I missed the nuance, then many others miss the nuance too. Make sure you go reprimand all of them. 

My dad paid a contractor upfront 40 years ago to refinish our basement. The contractor disappeared with my dad's money. I learned that lesson at the age of something like 12 from my dad before I even hit puberty.

Based on my personal experience, I was uttering surprise that others hadn't learned that lesson and thought it was a good idea to hand over money for future work. That's all it was. Could I have worded it better? Probably. We can all improve our communication skills. 

People see what they choose to see in someone else, and you generally choose to see the worst in things I write (as witnessed by the two threads we're going back and forth in) because you've always had your differences with me (the feeling is not mutual BTW - I've never had a problem with you) but turning it around on me for "shaming" is a stretch.

My only goal with that post, besides genuinely being surprised that Mike was asking people to pay upfront and that people were paying it, was to emphasize for others what a bad idea it was FOR THOSE WHO MAY HAVE BEEN ON THE FENCE about such things and to help prevent people from making the same mistakes in the future. 

On 11/26/2023 at 12:38 PM, VintageComics said:

Look man, I know I'm not your favorite person and haven't been for years. 

If I missed the nuance, then many others miss the nuance too. Make sure you go reprimand all of them. 

My dad paid a contractor upfront 40 years ago to refinish our basement. The contractor disappeared with my dad's money. I learned that lesson at the age of something like 12 from my dad before I even hit puberty.

Based on my personal experience, I was uttering surprise that others hadn't learned that lesson and thought it was a good idea to hand over money for future work. That's all it was. Could I have worded it better? Probably. We can all improve our communication skills. 

People see what they choose to see in someone else, and you generally choose to see the worst in things I write (as witnessed by the two threads we're going back and forth in) because you've always had your differences with me (the feeling is not mutual BTW - I've never had a problem with you) but turning it around on me for "shaming" is a stretch.

My only goal with that post, besides genuinely being surprised that Mike was asking people to pay upfront and that people were paying it, was to emphasize for others what a bad idea it was FOR THOSE WHO MAY HAVE BEEN ON THE FENCE about such things and to help prevent people from making the same mistakes in the future. 

Good lord. How many of your posts do I comment on? But when I see blatant hypocrisy I tend to call it out. Of course you are a victim here. That fits your MO.  

On 11/22/2023 at 9:30 AM, Number 6 said:

But I would think this time it's going to be different.

Because now the information of all these individual customers has been brought together, now all these individuals are going to be aware of each other and how much money/property is involved in total

You would have thought that would have been the case in July, yet people still sent him books in August.  I get it, no one's perusing the internet for every reference of a business, but it's clear there are still people out there who are still blind to what's happening.

On 11/25/2023 at 7:05 AM, shadroch said:

He had insurance when it was operating.

Or so he claims.

On 11/25/2023 at 7:17 AM, mattn792 said:

There’s no doubt in my mind he is actively watching this thread.

I dunno, from the prior thread, he seems the type to be very eager to defend himself and play the victim card.  I can't imagine him just restraining himself and not saying anything.  Far easier for him to just delete his account in July and turn a blind eye to everything.  For him, it's better to be ignorant than informed.