• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brittle Pages? How Bad Is It? Is It a Dealbreaker?
7 7

65 posts in this topic

I generally stay away from brittle or slightly brittle (graded books), and I know most other people do as well.

But, I’d like to hear from experienced GA collectors to what the long-term issues are with buying a brittle-paged book?

Is it a deal breaker for you? I have one in my collection, because the price was right on a book I really like - and probably wouldn’t have the chance to upgrade. So I bought it to have it. I may have an opportunity on another book with the same PQ, but I’d like to get some opinions and thoughts.

Thanks for any input you guys can give!

I generally avoid Brittle but I can see myself making an exception for a megakey that would otherwise be out of reach.

My All Star 3 has "Slightly Brittle" pages and that just means one isolated area of the book is flaking but the rest of the book is fine. I don't expect any further deterioration if I store it properly.

I do own 2 GA coverless slabs with brittle pages. Had it for several years. Seems none the worse for wear. I believe the spectrum for brittle pages designation is wide as I have seen some with pieces all over in the slab while others relatively structurally sound . In the early days, I was aggressively looking for someone to do leaf casting. Glad I didn't. Having said that I would only buy brittle pages for mega keys. Missed the days when most collectors avoided such books. The days of getting a complete coverless Action 1 now with brittle pages for below 30k are long gone. 

If it's slabbed, I don't worry about it as much, but if it's raw, I generally avoid them - the last thing I want is a book, that if I turn the page, the page starts cracking off.  That being said, I try not to buy brittle books for the most part unless it's something somewhat difficult to find.  Has anyone had books that disintegrated in the slab over the years?

On 11/11/2023 at 6:19 AM, Mr. Lady Luck said:

I would only buy a brittle book if I was going to use it as a reader. :whatev:

I would only buy a brittle book if I had a parakeet that liked to read comics and I needed something to line the bottom of its cage and provide reading material at the same time.

Edited by jimbo_7071

I can’t abide brittle books and try to upgrade if they are amongst my AMan/Detective/Archie keepers. Sometimes it’s hard to sleep knowing they’re in amongst the white paged beauties trying to infect them. I digress. Currently I’m looking to upgrade a slightly brittle Amazing-Man 5. I’m not holding my breath. 

IMG_0297.jpeg

On 11/11/2023 at 8:01 AM, ThothAmon said:

I can’t abide brittle books and try to upgrade if they are amongst my AMan/Detective/Archie keepers. Sometimes it’s hard to sleep knowing they’re in amongst the white paged beauties trying to infect them. I digress. Currently I’m looking to upgrade a slightly brittle Amazing-Man 5. I’m not holding my breath. 

IMG_0297.jpeg

Always liked this cover, looks great in 1.5👍‼️

There is no doubt that brittle books have their place in collecting. They are part of the existing original examples. i prefer not to have them but sometimes something is so great, rare, or pleasing to own that you can't pass it up. 

It is a fear and desire thing.  I believe everything is about price in those types of circumstances.  Brittle pages may be the only one available or existing in your price range.  Fear and desire...

I stay away from brittle under all circumstances. 

I had a book reslabbed and CGC reclassified the book as slightly brittle to OW from its previous designation of Light Tan to Off White. 

The book went from a 3.0 to a 4.5 or 4.0 if I remember correctly. 

I don't place a lot of faith in the CGC page assessment to be honest as I have seen books receive designations on various reslabs upon reslabbing.

In summary, stay away from anything brittle unless it is a small corner or a slight area of the edge like the same spaces we see Marvel chipping. 

I will and have bought books in about every condition possible. Brittle is one of just a few exceptions I will just not buy anymore. I like to handle mine and cringe when pieces flake or break off.

Ironicaly, just a week ago I broke my rule. I bought a PCH book I already had that was so unusual and cheap that I just had to buy. Sometimes you just have to.

It will never leave the Mylar again while in my possesion so I can’t see it getting any worse.

My advice is never buy one unless you know you will never see another copy. 

IMG_7731.jpeg

Edited by Robot Man

On 11/11/2023 at 12:07 PM, goldust40 said:

Always avoid brittle books. Structure is important but so is preservation, and a book with brittle pages is on its last legs in that department, unless there's a restorational method of reversing the deterioration. Normally (but not always) the book is very tan, with the browning visible on the cover, with some of the corners missing. If I wanted a reader, I'd obviously prefer one with decent pages so I could read the damn thing and not have to worry about damaging it - comics are fragile things, but brittleness is the point of no return for me, even with the best storage available. As for investment, I'll pass. Too much of a scarlet letter for me.

Ditto.

A guy that I used to work with who would go to estate sales once gave me an old Our Army at War issue. He knew I liked comics and said it was in poor shape. The cover was detached as well as several wraps with big corners missing. It was so brittle that even with the most gentle handling I could muster, pages just broke apart as I tried to lift and turn them. Comics in this state are truly a sad sight to behold. :(