• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Worst Sidekick of all time
4 4

69 posts in this topic

On 12/5/2023 at 6:43 AM, grendel013 said:

As a child (and even now as a man-child) this made me so mad. Even then I realized they swapped out Torch for Herbie because of the fear of kids dousing themselves in gasoline and flaming on but COME ON. All this did was make me wanna douse the TV executives in gasoline and light them on fire. FLAME ON!:banana:

That's not the reason. Human Torch was under a separate licensing agreement at the time with a different company, for a project that never materialised. That's the real reason why we got HERBIE. 

On 12/4/2023 at 3:49 PM, VintageComics said:

Is THAT what it was? Wow. 

I think that each of these sidekicks served a different purpose. 

I mean, Doiby Dickles? Woozy Winks? These were just comedy relief and plot devices to always give the hero someone to save. It wore thin after a while. 

With Batman and Robin, Robin was always in trouble but eventually grew into his own, independent character...after being a damsel in distress for all those decades. lol

I think Robin was only created to give Batman someone to talk to in this early days. 

It's hard to get into Batman's head when he has no one he can trust to explain what he's thinking to.   

How much of Adam West's brilliance would have been lost without Burt Ward being there to explain things to? 

On 12/4/2023 at 9:44 PM, KCOComics said:

I think Robin was only created to give Batman someone to talk to in this early days. 

It's hard to get into Batman's head when he has no one he can trust to explain what he's thinking to.   

How much of Adam West's brilliance would have been lost without Burt Ward being there to explain things to? 

image.jpeg.e3eada8c528022233369fc384291cd83.jpeg
image.jpeg.3575de8d7683dd482b6416e93e729529.jpeg

On 12/4/2023 at 9:55 PM, Juno Beach said:

Page three and no mention of Spider-Boy? He's new but man, do I hate him already. Here he is on his first ever cover kicking a bird. 

sm2022007_ramos.jpg

I never picked up on the bird kicking. :facepalm: I really need to pay better attention. Lol

Edited by CAHokie

Spoiler

Oliver

from Invincible. He's too headstrong, frequently almost gets Mark seriously injured or worse, and the way he 

Spoiler

nearly kills Mark with the super Scourge Virus is beyond reckless, not to mention could have doomed humanity too. 

Edited by Cat
Spoilered it for show-only viewers.

On 12/5/2023 at 7:41 PM, Flanders82 said:

I couldn't agree more. I purchased this without even noticing how awful he is. His presence annoyed me so much it's no longer in my collection.

5679563.jpg

This is the most egregious example of Woozy's image ruining a fantastic cover. What could the artist been thinking? An amazing work of art absolutely destroyed by Woozy's cartoonish image. 

Edited by O Doyle Rules

On 12/6/2023 at 5:34 PM, Dave2739 said:

Oh sorry, I misunderstood. I'm not sure which Robin is the worst, but that Damian Wayne is pretty annoying.

Agree, and i think we do not have to specify that he s the son of a ... :roflmao: