• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,030 posts in this topic

On 12/20/2023 at 4:38 AM, Sigur Ros said:

First you said holder, now you change it to inner holder.  Where are the goalposts?

The holder is the plastic slab. 

The inner sleeve, some call a "well", is not the holder.  Why would anyone think they cut the book out of the inner sleeve without reassessing the book, seeing all those problems, and saying "yep, still a 9.8!"  Unless you're saying CGC really sucks.   Are you?  'Cuz that's what it sounds like you're saying.  If so, just say it.

Anyway, while you're calling names, I'll just say it again, no one believes they didn't open the holder.

We've been calling them inner and out holders for 20 years on here. 

Sledgehammer is saying they don't open the inner holder when checking for MJ inserts. This is what I am disagreeing with. 

Dork is a common joke around here. Relax. 

On 12/20/2023 at 5:59 AM, sledgehammer said:
On 12/20/2023 at 4:38 AM, Sigur Ros said:

The inner sleeve, some call a "well", is not the holder.  Why would anyone think they cut the book out of the inner sleeve without reassessing the book, seeing all those problems, and saying "yep, still a 9.8!"  Unless you're saying CGC really sucks.   Are you?  'Cuz that's what it sounds like you're saying.  If so, just say it.

Anyway, while you're calling names, I'll just say it again, no one believes they didn't open the holder.

lol

That;s exactly what he's saying.

"Why would CGC possibly think that their fully encapsulated comic book, from this last June 23rd, actually still has the inner sleeve in it that they put in there!?!?"  

lol

"Open up that inner sleeve, so we can get a good look at that MJ insert that we can already see in there!!"

Why don't they have to open the inner sleeve up, to make sure the book in there now has all its pages? Check it again for restoration? Hey, it could be a minor color touch 9.8.

"We have zero faith in the credibility of this slab we just created 4 months ago. Are you nuts??"

If that is the S.O. Procedure, and I don't work there to know, or even care, they still would have seen a perfectly fine MJ insert.

We already know that. It was probably a lesser grade, 9.4.

That doesn't mean some grunt doing re holders isn't going to be lazy, or going to have Roy's eye to look it over for reasons why the comic book in the slab is not a 9.8.

Just for a new custom label, on a 4 month old fully encapsulated slab.

Listen, you two have had a hate on me for some time now and it's affecting your ability to think clearly. A little benefit of the doubt in a public conversation goes a long way. 

You're changing the discussion we were having.

The entire reason the book was sent in was to verify the MJ insert. 

What I said was, that it's far more reasonable to believe that they opened the inner holder / well / whatever-you-want-to-call-it to make sure those were MJ inserts in there.

YOU stated that they just kept the book sealed in the inner holder, peeked at it from the top and resealed it into a new outer holder. 

I already explained why I didn't think they'd take your route. 

You two are just clouding the discussion at this point with personal nonsense. 

Edited by VintageComics

On 12/20/2023 at 10:32 AM, VintageComics said:

which was that they just kept the book sealed in the inner holder, peeked at it from the top and resealed it into a new outer holder. 

That seems to be the most plausible explanation imho. It could be laziness at CGC QA or a loop hole in the custom label process. There is just no way someone would look at that book and think it's a 9.8.

On 12/20/2023 at 9:40 AM, mephistopheles said:
On 12/20/2023 at 9:32 AM, VintageComics said:

which was that they just kept the book sealed in the inner holder, peeked at it from the top and resealed it into a new outer holder. 

That seems to be the most plausible explanation imho. It could be laziness at CGC QA or a loop hole in the custom label process. There is just no way someone would look at that book and think it's a 9.8.

1st, I don't want to be on record as stating this, even though you quoted me. I was simply responding to someone else who believes this.

2nd, the NM #98 did NOT get a new custom label so that disproves the theory that it's a loophole in the custom label process. 

Edited by VintageComics

On 12/20/2023 at 10:45 AM, VintageComics said:

1st, I don't want to be on record as stating this, even though you quoted me. I was simply responding to someone else who believes this.

2nd, the NM #98 did NOT get a new custom label so that disproves the theory that it's a loophole in the custom label process. 

Then it's even worse. It's a general failure in their QA.

I've been buying/selling MJ insert copies for years now. I will say there is a way to verify some books(not all) as MJ insert copies without looking at the inside of the book. Obviously there is simply seeing the insert is there by looking at the edges, but there is also another way to make sure the insert wasn't simply thrown into a regular copy. As I have pointed out on the MJI thread here multiple times. If I was able to figure this out, I would have to assume a company whose sole purpose is to grade and verify comics could have figured this out as well. 

Just my 2c...

On 12/20/2023 at 10:50 AM, Silver Surfer said:

Waiting for an announcement that there will be a pause in reholdering. Not sure how they are going to deal with this for any existing inventory that needs to be processed. 

The existing inventory waiting to be reholdered is the least of their worries. It will require QA to do their damn job and inspect the books. What is more concerning is how many scam books got through reholdering without scrutiny.

On 12/20/2023 at 6:54 AM, trademarkcomics said:

I've been buying/selling MJ insert copies for years now. I will say there is a way to verify some books(not all) as MJ insert copies without looking at the inside of the book. Obviously there is simply seeing the insert is there by looking at the edges, but there is also another way to make sure the insert wasn't simply thrown into a regular copy. As I have pointed out on the MJI thread here multiple times. If I was able to figure this out, I would have to assume a company whose sole purpose is to grade and verify comics could have figured this out as well. 

Just my 2c...

By this method, I can say at most of the MJI books this seller has been recently selling are legit MJI copies...just not necessarily legit 9.6/9.8 grades(the ASM 252 is laughable). So I think they are inserting actual MJI variants into the regular 9.8 copy holders, resealing them, then sending them off as MEs(Mechanical Errors).

On 12/20/2023 at 9:54 AM, trademarkcomics said:

Just my 2c...

are 9.8s really 15k books?

On 12/20/2023 at 9:25 AM, topcat54 said:

So the guy selling these books is known on ebay as briva3 but when you select one of the books the seller comes up Comic Selects who ships from Forest Hills, New York, United States . Is there a reason this happens or is this the name of his store on the bay?

That's just the name of his eBay store.  You can name your eBay store something different than your eBay ID.

On 12/20/2023 at 7:02 AM, WolverineX said:

are 9.8s really 15k books?

My answer to this question is always...."a book is worth as much as someone is willing to pay".  Of course in the case of this book it is highly suspicious of fraudulent bidding also so the $15K is probably meaningless.

Looking at GoCollect records the only sale of a ASM 252 MJ in a 9.8 is the fraudulent $15K one discussed in this thread.  I don't know if GPA has more recorded as I let my subscription lapse to GPA recently.

There may not exist any real 9.8 ASM 252 MJ.  

Edited by GDN

Not likely we will see this guy reappear on eBay anytime soon.  I'd be on the lookout on other selling sites for MJ copies of SW8, X266, IH340.

The seller pulled IH340 MJ shortly after the initial IG post by 9.9newstand.  He pulled a lot of other listings.  When I first checked his page when this first happened he had a nice list of MJ and 9.8 newsstands for sale.  He removed all but the X266 and SW8 up till last night.  He pulled the X266 while the DaveAvengers/9.9Newstand YT show was going on.  It had a whole bunch of retracted bids before it was pulled.  Someone in the chat for that show claimed they were willing to take a strike on their eBay account and were bidding the SW8 up high with no intention to pay.  Not sure if that guy was just joking or was the guy who bid up to $21K before the seller pulled the listing with 30mins to go.

Edited by GDN