• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,031 posts in this topic

On 12/19/2023 at 9:46 PM, VintageComics said:

If you two believe CGC just gave out a new label without opening the holder, you're crazy. 

This sort of speculation is just plain ridiculous now. doh!

No one believes they pulled the old label out and slid a new label in. 

We all know they opened the holder.

ffs...

On 12/19/2023 at 9:52 PM, Sigur Ros said:

ffs...

Your posts make it sound like the guy informed them that it was an MJ insert book and they didn't scrutinize it for that and just took his word for it. 

ffs... :D

On 12/19/2023 at 7:02 PM, WestcoastDAVEngers said:

Me and 9.9 are going live in 30 mins and we're gonna update everyone on the NM 98, I really really appreciate the photos on those!

Another record sale, another scam.

@CGC Mike, what is CGC going to do about this?

@mnelsonCGC, any thoughts?

Edited by brute_nm

On 12/19/2023 at 9:04 PM, sledgehammer said:

my guess is that's what he's doing to the outer case. If he sent that ASM 252, back to CGC in a case that they could not tell had been resealed, it's much more likely that whoever does the re-holders, did not give a whole lot of scrutiny to the book that was now inside that slab. 

I may be in the minority saying this, but I would sooner believe this person has figured out a manner of achieving an adhesion or bond that may mimic a sonic weld, because the idea of him having that kind of access to tooling, specifically to be able to sonic seal the hard case slab product CGC uses is something I just can't be convinced is possible. 

On 12/19/2023 at 9:58 PM, brute_nm said:

Another record sale, another scam.

@CGC Mike, what is CGC going to do about this?

They will do Nothing.

They also do not care about their perception.  Their parent company is simply squeezing an orange, when the juice being to slow to a trickle they will simply toss it in the trash (sell it off).

Edited by MAR1979

On 12/19/2023 at 9:00 PM, comicwiz said:

I may be in the minority saying this, but I would sooner believe this person has figured out a manner of achieving an adhesion or bond that may mimic a sonic weld, because the idea of him having that kind of access to tooling, specifically to be able to sonic seal the hard case slab product CGC uses is something I just can't be convinced is possible. 

we are on the same page if we think he has figured out a way, to send them slabs that look like they have not been opened. CGC charges $50 for a high value re-holder. If that's what what a submitter orders or requests, I can't see them risking damage to the book to do an extensive evaluation, just because somebody says that it looks to them like they may have missed the MJ insert that is visible at the edge of the pages.

if the books were being reevaluated, on re-holders, they wouldn't be charging so little for the service.

On 12/19/2023 at 10:06 PM, sledgehammer said:

we are on the same page if we think he has figured out a way, to send them slabs that look like they have not been opened. CGC charges $50 for a high value re-holder. If that's what what a submitter orders or requests, I can't see them risking damage to the book to do an extensive evaluation, just because somebody says that it looks to them like they may have missed the MJ insert that is visible at the edge of the pages.

if the books were being reevaluated, on re-holders, they wouldn't be charging so little for the service.

On 12/19/2023 at 9:52 PM, Sigur Ros said:

ffs...

See what I mean, dork?

He's literally saying that they didn't even open the inner holder to inspect if the MJ insert was there. :makepoint:

ffs...lol

On 12/19/2023 at 9:32 PM, VintageComics said:

See what I mean, dork?

He's literally saying that they didn't even open the inner holder to inspect if the MJ insert was there. :makepoint:

ffs...lol

They had just graded the book already on June 23rd, 2023.

What the hell makes you so sure that they opened the inner well later this year, just to add a notation to the label that it was an MJ insert?

Even if they did, the people doing it wouldn't have been graders, right??

Why would they be looking at that recent of a book, encapsulated per the rules for unlimited value reholders, to check for page count, restoration or anything else?

They very easily could have just said just add the MJ notation.

But you're positive. You know for certain.

On 12/19/2023 at 9:59 PM, mephistopheles said:

Has CGC always noted MJ on labels? If not, what year did they start? Maybe they didn't in 2012 when it was originally graded and QC just pushed it through rather than cut into the well and risk damaging the book?

I've mentioned in the thread already. Earlier this year, an MJ New Mutants 98 sold for $16K.

That book has been noted as MJ since it was graded in 2011

On 12/19/2023 at 10:59 PM, mephistopheles said:

Has CGC always noted MJ on labels? If not, what year did they start? Maybe they didn't in 2012 when it was originally graded and QC just pushed it through rather than cut into the well and risk damaging the book?

Chances are the grading date of the lower grade replacement Mark Jewelers copy had to be around the same time as the inner sealed sleeve would have to be of an identical type to make the ruse complete. Truthfully I have no idea how many iterations of inner wells CGC has had. 

On 12/19/2023 at 10:24 PM, AbsoluteCarnage said:

Someone dropped this in his feedback.

image.thumb.png.baec58df103a9df2a1057d38cedc83bc.png

"This buyer has been found..."

Couldn't get it right.  He's the seller, not the buyer.  Just a mistake that is 180 degrees wrong.

Based on what is said there, the seller will have little difficulty getting the negative removed.

Edited by Lightning55