• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,028 posts in this topic

On 12/23/2023 at 8:07 PM, Nick Furious said:

Is there some way of being certain that I book hasn't been re-holdered?  I'm not buying one of the premises in this video...that not having a record of two sales of the same cert means it wasn't re-holdered.  There are many venues for buying books that don't end up getting the Cert number recorded on GPA.  I still think that re-holdering is more likely than marrying, unless we can confirm that didn't happen.  

Agreed. Is that that Automatic Comics dope again?

He said the 2 ASM books might be the same copy. "Shifting"

Edited by sledgehammer

On 12/23/2023 at 8:02 PM, Comics said:

My thought re that - I feel that eBay kicked him off for some reason (that's why the Zaglor ID doesn't lead to an inactive seller but to nothing) and they 'let' him back on with a new ID or maybe a few. So I think a lot of this is going to fall on them. I saw that @NewWorldOrder had one of the scammers previous IDs on his block list (corner142) so maybe they can remember why???

We solved that some tens of pages ago, the Zaneglor account was never kicked off, he just changed the id of that account to aureliaag, hasn't sold a book on that account since ~2020

Edited by JC25427N

On 12/23/2023 at 6:01 PM, agamoto said:

Well now that the fellow has been effectively doxxed, CGC does have more of an excuse to lock/delete the thread. I hope that doesn't happen.

Also, Bree is a Scorpio! Oooh!

I hope someone is taking screenshots of this thread before them make it 'private'... ;-) 

So several Youtubers have said they know the scammers real name, where he or she is from, doing business...With all the information we have he or she has committed fraud no question, not sure why they are not posting his or her real name and where they are from. I would think as a community, we would out this person with this much damaging information to protect others. Makes you think maybe this is more prevalent than we may guess and the community isn't as strong.

On 12/23/2023 at 6:13 PM, JC25427N said:

We solved that some tens of pages ago, the Zaneglor account was never kicked off, he just changed the id of that account to aureliaag, hasn't sold a book on that account since ~2020

Thanks. Missed that. Don't forget the corner142 ID pre 2020.

On 12/23/2023 at 6:22 PM, Taxi Driver said:

So several Youtubers have said they know the scammers real name, where he or she is from, doing business...With all the information we have he or she has committed fraud no question, not sure why they are not posting his or her real name and where they are from. I would think as a community, we would out this person with this much damaging information to protect others. Makes you think maybe this is more prevalent than we may guess and the community isn't as strong.

Maybe they want the scammed people to be able to get their $$$ back using the standard eBay channels?

On 12/23/2023 at 8:22 PM, Taxi Driver said:

I did, like 1/2 an hour ago. Read the posts.

On 12/23/2023 at 9:02 PM, sledgehammer said:

Only a matter of time since one of his customers got here, right?

I wonder. Googling the name doesn't show any connection to comics. How many active buyers and sellers of comics cannot somehow be linked to comics on social media?

On 12/23/2023 at 6:23 PM, Comics said:

Maybe they want the scammed people to be able to get their $$$ back using the standard eBay channels?

Cool, but right now this person could be doing the same thing under a new name. If you give the person's info, where they are doing business...you could do more research before you buy. I get it we don't want to jump too quickly, but look at the info we have, there is no way this isn't a scam and possibly an inside job. At least give out the seller's home base to warn buyers if they buy a big book from wherever this person is doing business...do extra research. That's all I'm saying. 

On 12/23/2023 at 5:40 PM, Michael the Comic Collector said:

I can’t believe this has reached 100 pages without any comment from CGC. Not so much as a ‘we are aware of this situation and are investigating the concerns raised by the collector community. The inherent promise reflected by our grading process and guarantee is the most valuable thing to our business, and will investigate all concerns accordingly.’

Shocking we haven’t heard anything. Cgc is failing its customers and this hobby.

They looked at his reholdering history and the entire PR staff all quit

On 12/23/2023 at 8:28 PM, paqart said:
On 12/23/2023 at 8:02 PM, sledgehammer said:

Only a matter of time since one of his customers got here, right?

I wonder. Googling the name doesn't show any connection to comics. How many active buyers and sellers of comics cannot somehow be linked to comics on social media?

Somebody already said an old ebay account of his was in Arizona. I didn't give his street address.

Edited by sledgehammer

On 12/23/2023 at 12:47 PM, sledgehammer said:

Make no assumptions about where this might go.

The same Purple label Hulk 8.0 cert # that sold on 11/21 for $2.040, sold on December 11th for $3,800.

There's money in everything, including lower grade purple reholdered in to a higher grade slab.

But that's a game that's been going since people gave value to comics.  If some amateur puts some fugly paint on a cover, and then a pro cleans that off and makes it look better, I'm all for bumping the grade.  As long as it stays in that purple holder (or notes of the work are on the label) then there's no harm.

The main focus here needs to be the matching certification numbers with differing books within the cases.

Do not focus on the grades that are given (even though that's the driving factor for this scam).  I just got a box back with all 9.8's, and I do not think they are 9.8's.  No hinky stuff, just not what I'd want for a 9.8.