• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,030 posts in this topic

Maybe it is due to being shot in HD but the "dirt" on the carts looks fake, like how you try to poorly age something to make it look used/old. I also hope that what ever hostage situation is going on has been resolved and they can make it home to their families....

"say something nice about the company and the specific products that we sell on video or no bonus for you...."

On 12/24/2023 at 12:31 AM, Prince Namor said:

Put people on ignore. You zip right past.

Of course, if someone nests your comment, everyone can see it. I've had you on ignore for a while, but this one got nested.

Well you should have done me another favour and stayed quiet. I was enjoying your silence as well, champ.

:cheers:

On 12/24/2023 at 1:17 AM, mjoeyoung said:

I have an idea.  CGC should just be a repository for all the books they grade.  You send your book in, they grade it and store it permanently in an abandoned missile silo.  They then send you a plastic info card with the grade prominently displayed along with a serial number, the title and issue number and an NFT.  That way you can view your book online (if you must).  Then we can just trade those info cards.  Of course, if may be a good idea to get those cards encapsulated so they stay pristine.

CGC, Graded Once, Graded Forever!

(Actual storage location of books subject to change)

On 12/24/2023 at 1:21 AM, wombat said:

Maybe I'm totally making this up, but didn't that idea get floated at some point? They would store your books after they were slabbed. 

This is kind of like eBay's vault for graded cards.   Maybe you are thinking of that?

Edited by Buzzetta

On 12/23/2023 at 5:04 PM, drporkchop said:

His first name is Brees, which i found from the box label when he shipped me a Hulk 340 9.8 i won on Oct 24, 2023. When i received the book I found that the book had 4 or 5 color breaking spine ticks along it's black spine and was disappointed that this book was able to be graded a 9.8 by CGC. The book was at most a borderline 9.0 or 9.2 at most.

Luckily Brees allowed refunds on his ebay auctions, and I was able to return and get a partial refund (lost around $200 Cdn due to exchange rate and shipping costs). I tried looking for his address, but the book was shipped back to Ebay Global Shipping hub location at Glendale Heights IL, which was then forwarded to his Forest Hills home.

Fortunately I feel lucky that i was able to recoup almost 90% of the book, unlike others here who were scammed thousands for much higher books. It looks like he was not just swapping out golden age books, or MJ newsstands, but also common books like Hulk 340s.

I messaged him for refund and you can see in the ebay history how he tried to justify his scam by saying lots of CGC 9.8s have spine ticks. Read below.

brees.png

Based on the others, this looks like his MO. Buy a 9.8 and buy a 9.2, switch out the 9.2 for the 9.8 and send back to CGC for a custom label. Going to be hard to trust any high dollar book with a high grade and a custom label. I”ve been on eBay for over 20 years, love em, but they are buyer centric. I think you have a good case for getting your money back for shipping costs from eBay considering everything going on with this “seller”. 

On 12/23/2023 at 11:53 PM, Steven Valdez said:

I suggested they put hologram stickers on all 4 edges but the moderator said that would be a 'waste of time'. I still wonder why he would say such a thing.

not a bad suggestion.  I amped it up with comic link stickers Plus 1700X adhesion about ahhhhh 50-60 pages back. I think my follow up was based on your original suggestion tho

On 12/24/2023 at 3:45 AM, AbsoluteCarnage said:

hard to keep up with this stuff. Ongoing nightmare. Wish you all the best and happy holidays to all ;-)

Almost 4am here... Everything done and FINALLY headed to bed.  Same to you. 

On 12/23/2023 at 11:52 PM, migmtl76 said:

Here below, is my only interaction with briva3 way back on Sept 21th 2018 :

Whoever won this book, beware it could be a lower grade !

I traced the sale on Go Collect (see pics).

image.png.d5494ddc1bb5978ef970aa2e557774b5.png

pic0.jpg

Most of the books I've found on worthpoint relied on that "$$$ and Hard work" line. This is NOT one of those books that contains that phrase. That tells me there may be a whole lot more books out there this seller has touched. The seller location jives with one of the known addresses. While the shill bidding/manipulation was certainly going on for many years, I'm not so sure about the label swapping/reholdering. I think that didn't get wings until 2021-ish. 

On 12/24/2023 at 3:52 AM, agamoto said:

Most of the books I've found on worthpoint relied on that "$$$ and Hard work" line. This is NOT one of those books that contains that phrase. That tells me there may be a whole lot more books out there this seller has touched. The seller location jives with one of the known addresses. While the shill bidding/manipulation was certainly going on for many years, I'm not so sure about the label swapping/reholdering. I think that didn't get wings until 2021-ish. 

Pandora's box. Hopefully less than we are praying it's not