• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,029 posts in this topic

On 12/25/2023 at 7:40 PM, sledgehammer said:

Thank you.

Just one more thing and I'll stop pestering you.

Do you think that this statement accurately reflects anything that you, manu or swaggle has ever said during a video?

"They clearly stated this was someone well known in that niche of the hobby (MJ / Newsstand variants)."

Nope, I didn't know who he was until we discovered the ASM 252 photos, 9.9 knew who of him for a few weeks, I think only because of the fact that all those 9.8 MJs hit grailz in November. But I remember checking his IG profile before he made it private and not many people followed him. So overall, some people in the high end book buying community knew him but most people did not know he even existed.

Which all makes sense...why make yourself known to a lot when you're ripping people off

On 12/25/2023 at 9:54 PM, WestcoastDAVEngers said:

Also, just to be transparent, last week from Sunday-friday I was live 4 times, and a 5th on my friends channel, I was live for a total of about 12-14 hours, I might have said "I'm Abraham Lincoln reincarnate" and I probably have no recollection of it.

No worries Dave, we all appreciate everything you're doing and keeping us informed. (thumbsu

On 12/25/2023 at 9:54 PM, WestcoastDAVEngers said:

Also, just to be transparent, last week from Sunday-friday I was live 4 times, and a 5th on my friends channel, I was live for a total of about 12-14 hours, I might have said "I'm Abraham Lincoln reincarnate" and I probably have no recollection of it.

Careful, in 6 days somebody will be positive that you said that.

On 12/25/2023 at 7:54 PM, WestcoastDAVEngers said:

I'm pretty sure you had said "reborn" not reincarnated. I'll go check the tape... ;-P

On 12/25/2023 at 10:13 PM, Comics said:

That's the same scenario that started the whole 'inside man' conversation. Which makes it seem much more likely. I mean like 98% likely...

Not to mention that the 4 day difference in grading the same book twice included a Saturday and Sunday, when CGC offices were closed on 2/25/2023 and 2/26/2023.

On 12/25/2023 at 11:20 PM, MatterEaterLad said:

These books were graded 4 DAYS APART. Book was given a green label on a Friday, and is graded blue the following Tuesday.  There's no way that book left CGC.

That's not four days apart, that's one day apart - the book was done on Friday. One business day is Monday.

On 12/25/2023 at 10:20 PM, MatterEaterLad said:

These books were graded 4 DAYS APART. Book was given a green label on a Friday, and is graded blue the following Tuesday.  There's no way that book left CGC.

As was mentioned in this thread before, there is no way that someone who's super meticulous about opening CGC cases and swapping books/labels without detection, would also take awful photos for his eBay listings (after all that work). Practically most of the photos had awful glare that showed his hand (in reflection) and made the book seem like it had multiple bends. This does not strike me as a person who masterminded the operation of consistently getting these books through CGC undetected.

On 12/25/2023 at 5:58 PM, sledgehammer said:

He definitely did present in a way that made it look as though he definitely knows who this guy is. Neither one of you want to doxx the guy and that is understandable. There was a point where you started to say his eBay seller name, and he started to interrupt you, because he thought that you were going to say his actual name.

you stated that you don't want to risk your YouTube channel, and that is certainly a very smart posture to have.

whether or not anyone at this point is going by packages that were received in transactions with him, or they absolutely know who he is, anyone here is only guessing.

i've had someone present to me what seemed like a very strong case on who this is, but this will all play out in due time.

That's what many have been posting the last few days, people know who the offender is, name, address, everything. So if the community isn't going to be harsh with this person, I think CGC isn't either. Right now he could be selling a cracked $500 slab and replacing it with a $150 book. It's wrong regardless of the amount, that's why I'm shocked the community hasn't taken a stronger stand, that's all I'm saying. 

On 12/25/2023 at 10:39 PM, Taxi Driver said:

That's what many have been posting the last few days, people know who the offender is, name, address, everything. So if the community isn't going to be harsh with this person, I think CGC isn't either. Right now he could be selling a cracked $500 slab and replacing it with a $150 book. It's wrong regardless of the amount, that's why I'm shocked the community hasn't taken a stronger stand, that's all I'm saying. 

Welcome to the boards. You might not be aware, but there can be criminal penalties for doxxing someone online.

So when you say "harsh with him", be careful.

On 12/25/2023 at 10:39 PM, Taxi Driver said:

My gut tells me that certain individuals that know who this person is are giving CGC a chance to make a statement first. If that does not happen in let's say 2 weeks, I guarantee the name will likely come out. That being said, I do realize that some unaware buyers could suffer collateral damage during this process. :(

On 12/25/2023 at 8:42 PM, sledgehammer said:

Welcome to the boards. You might not be aware, but there can be criminal penalties for doxxing someone online.

So when you say "harsh with him", be careful.

The old quandary how far do you go to help others! I totally understand and not judging just surprised. That's why I see this ending with as someone else posted a "Will Smith" slap on the wrist by CGC and nothing more. He'll keep doing it somewhere else more than likely, sadly. 

On 12/25/2023 at 9:50 PM, Taxi Driver said:

The old quandary how far do you go to help others! I totally understand and not judging just surprised. That's why I see this ending with as someone else posted a "Will Smith" slap on the wrist by CGC and nothing more. He'll keep doing it somewhere else more than likely, sadly. 

I'm surprised as well. This is a serious blow to the integrity of the collecting world. Just say the name. If it's the Breva person whose name is on the mailing label, I doubt that's the person pulling off the switch at CGC. There's more than one person in on this.