• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,028 posts in this topic

On 12/27/2023 at 1:21 PM, FlyingDonut said:

No they're not. This will go away, like every other CGC "scandal" over the last 25 years.

Whew that's a relief. You certainly nailed how far less than a major issue whatchamacallit-19 was in early 2020.

:baiting:

Sorry buddy, I had to do it. :foryou:

:fear:

Edited by sledgehammer

On 12/27/2023 at 10:07 AM, comicwiz said:

4115260001 - Incredible Hulk 181 Qualified 7.0 (Incomplete) - Sold Sept 3, 2022 for $4700 (GD: 08/24/2022)

Green-70-Sept3-2023.thumb.png.842d5a491e262dfe3dbf1880d8d5c358.png

Green-70-front-pic.png.e5b9bccace9f41cd39f18fa47def81fa.png

Green-70-back-pic.png.41d0c927328ea2cb9d1a4b08bb5163ab.png

4115170002 - Incredible Hulk 181 Universal 7.5 - Sold Nov 9, 2022 for $6000 (GD: 08/24/2022)

Blue75Nov9-2022.thumb.png.67c7e6f5f816849d2ac91ba9a0b19af0.png

Blue-75-front-pic.thumb.jpg.3c84d98039fd7766323814e2d00eb217.jpg

Blue-75-back-pic.thumb.jpg.2769acca1b0bf83a7577fea6deb38137.jpg

Might want to remove the CBCS slab before they remove your entire post.

They're sensitive like that.

I'm a little late to the game following this. I had a few questions and I'm sorry if they have been addressed already. I stopped reading around page 50 so 157 is a little daunting.

1. If I remember correctly, the language for reholder used to indicate that the book would be re-evaulated and it wouldn't guarantee the same grade. That language is different now it seems.

2. If the submitter indicated they missed anything on several books, why would CGC not open the inner well and verify? Even if it happened on one book, how do you not verify? I understand CGC is overwhelmed, but I would think this is crucial.

3. Lastly and I'm not into conspiracy theories, but is it possible that certain individuals at CGC, not CGC as a company may be involved? I know that might be a stretch, but is that even a possibility or has that been debunked?

I haven't been a CGC retailer since the $200 fee was implemented, but when I start up again I'm concerned about submitting reholder or any submission for customers. Do I have a valid concern?

On 12/27/2023 at 11:34 AM, MAR1979 said:

Photo images taken by CGC should be a preventative mechanism for swapping BUT they have only been adding them to public Certification's DB since this summer and with the near blinding brightness levels of the pics I feel they are essentially useless. Meaning the level of brightness obscures much detail and fine detail.

I was thinking this works, but, what about a pre and post reholder image? How can you really tell if that is the book they accepted and is actually the grade it was pre? We would need imaging service to maintain all images for that book for each submission. If that makes sense?

If all of this forces CGC to improve the quality of it's slab (less movement of inner well with potential damage to book, less scuffing, less Newton Rings, better slab security and integrity) then at least something positive will come out of all this.

Edited by Ron C.

On 12/27/2023 at 11:07 AM, Stefan_W said:

Ok, so you are arguing that because CGC did not release a statement fast enough for your satisfaction a video of how to break into slabs needed to be released? As I said earlier, yes scammers already know this stuff but hundreds if not thousands of people watching it will be hearing about it for the first time. 

I agree with you that this is a VERY dangerous way to handle things. It reeks of nerd ego. 

This guy should have sent the details to CGC but not exposed them publicly. 

May as well explain to everyone how to build a bomb and trust the cops to catch the bad guys. Does this person dislike CGC?

Edited by VintageComics

On 12/27/2023 at 3:21 PM, VintageComics said:

This guy should have sent the details to CGC but not exposed them publicly. 

I have thought about this also, but in regards to the swap scam breaking on IG first.  Should this have gone to CGC?  Or, were they already quietly warned, or knew of the issue and chose to turn a blind eye.  What you don’t know doesn’t hurt you kind of attitude.