• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,029 posts in this topic

On 1/4/2024 at 4:05 PM, agamoto said:

Of the ones I looked at back then, I did note the different "graded on" dates.

Yes but for this one:

On 1/4/2024 at 3:37 PM, darkstar said:

From the submission below the only cert on the list is 4277700004. Why? 

4277700004    asm 252
4277700001    spider-man 1
4277700002    asm 252
4277700003    asm 252
4277700005    killing joke
4277700006    batman 442

For example, they all have the 6/26/23 grade date. But the only one on the list is the 004 book, which happens to be the MJI 9.8 ASM 252. So if that book is a reholder which is the believed theory, then all of the other books that have that same grade dates would be books the user submitted then sent back all of for reholders? But if that’s true why is only one included.

On 1/4/2024 at 3:17 PM, agamoto said:

No

Spoiler

2 for 2 with smart people, still trying to catch a rabbbbiiiitttt.

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 1/4/2024 at 3:12 PM, wiparker824 said:

Yes but for this one:

For example, they all have the 6/26/23 grade date. But the only one on the list is the 004 book, which happens to be the MJI 9.8 ASM 252. So if that book is a reholder which is the believed theory, then all of the other books that have that same grade dates would be books the user submitted then sent back all of for reholders? But if that’s true why is only one included.

It's the only one that's got the custom spidey label, but, like you said, doesn't make a lot of sense if that book was sent in raw and graded same as the rest of 'em.  

On 1/4/2024 at 4:21 PM, agamoto said:

It's the only one that's got the custom spidey label, but, like you said, doesn't make a lot of sense if that book was sent in raw and graded same as the rest of 'em.  

Right. And if we are saying that book was graded on 6/26/23 with all of the other books on that sub, and CGC believes it may be fraudulent then CGC is saying they don’t trust all of the books they actually graded. Which is different than saying you don’t trust all of the books you reholdered. 

On 1/4/2024 at 4:58 PM, HighGrade said:

The others may already be verified as OK? I mean the Batman is a 9.0, certainly looks OK to me, CGC might even have the original images to verify. Not all books are bad, probably tried to slip in a few good ones of course.

Verified by whom? 

On 1/4/2024 at 3:10 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Does anyone here actually think this hurts the current value of their own CGC books they currently own?

Please quote me so I can ask you the next question.

All my books are now worth tree fiddy. May as well use them as kindling. Is that the right answer? 

On 1/4/2024 at 4:10 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Does anyone here actually think this hurts the current value of their own CGC books they currently own?

I mean the market will decide won’t it. I’m not sure what you’re trying to prove here. 

On 1/4/2024 at 3:34 PM, BrashL said:

I mean the market will decide won’t it. I’m not sure what you’re trying to prove here. 

I didnt say what the market will do, I am asking you right now.

Do you think your CGC books that you own in your personal collection are now worth less then they were before? 

Simple Yes/No answer

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 1/4/2024 at 3:32 PM, LordRahl said:

All my books are now worth tree fiddy. May as well use them as kindling. Is that the right answer? 

image.png.15a79ee334a5701465bed0bb50eef313.png

On 1/4/2024 at 4:35 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

I didnt say what the market will do, I am asking you right now.

Do you think your CGC books that you own in your personal collection are now worth less then they were before? 

Simple Yes/No answer

Ok I’m curious so I’ll bite. Yes my slabs are now worth less. Now what happens?

On 1/4/2024 at 3:46 PM, BrashL said:

How much less % do you now feel they are worth?  ball park guess

On 1/4/2024 at 6:50 PM, NewWorldOrder said:
On 1/4/2024 at 6:46 PM, BrashL said:

How much less % do you now feel they are worth?  ball park guess

Are you by chance writing a Swapgate choose your own adventure book?

I don't think they have less value.

I do think they have "X" percentage less likelihood of selling in a specific timeframe; or taking longer to sell, since I believe that "X" percentage of potential buyers have walked away. This lessens the available pool of potential buyers.

Edited by nuffsaid111
correction

On 1/4/2024 at 6:10 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

NO. OK, I'm OLD and seen it all, this will not hurt my value, it will in short time raise the value, and make the hobby stronger. But I don't collect speculation books, I don't collect variations or HOT books, I have flipped them, but I still think many books are over priced and now the fall will be blamed on this scam.

Also I buy books that look like or better than "in my opinion" the giant number on top, honestly that can be a distraction I even buy 9.4 or 9.6 books that look better than the 9.6 or 9.8 copy. Better centering, color, perfect wrap, bright whites etc. I don't understand buying a 9.8 with a miswrap, or yellowing, or a dull book when a far superior book in a lower "technical grade" looks 100 times better.  grading before CGC was more of an art, eye appeal to me is #1 but I'm a collector first, investor second, some of those 9.8's I wouldn't have touched after seeing the scans.

A mile high in a 8.0 can many times rival the higher grades by a mile, but I'm going off topic..LOL

So I'm not concerned about the holder or value of what I own, or looking to buy.