• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,029 posts in this topic

On 1/8/2024 at 6:40 PM, mr_highgrade said:

Was the shop in Brooklyn?

Yes the shop is in Brooklyn.  I just found out what shop.  I can walk on over there if I wanted at some point this week. lol   I don't know if they would knowingly pass switched books through their store so I am hoping if books DID go through their door that the store owners were duped. 

I was originally worried that it was Royal Collectables on Metropolitan Avenue in Forest Hills as they are a store that would carry higher end books and are located close enough to Brooklyn that many of my Brooklyn comic collector friends shop there.   Glad to see that they have nothing to do with anything involved in this. 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 1/8/2024 at 5:56 PM, Buzzetta said:

Yes the shop is in Brooklyn.  I just found out what shop. 

This might be similar to what we said about the AF 15 6.5 yellow book.

There is a photo of him at a con in 2019, that shows that JIM behind him for sale.

This might be another case, of there not being an issue with a SS book, but CGC putting it on the list because they know he submitted it, and they just want to punish him by putting a scarlet letter on it.

If so, it worked today.

Someone should invite the ebay seller that pulled his listing for it, here, to describe how his talks with CGC go.

On 1/8/2024 at 4:37 PM, mjoeyoung said:

cornercomparison01.png.5410b58b150f85badf8047139fc1f531.png

The first "suspect" 300 top left corner and your example.  It could just be lighting or something, but it looks different, even though the books look similar. (shrug)

Corner on the left is unmistakable as stressed plastic. Social media is starting to fill up with people finding the same thing now that they know what to look for. 

On 1/8/2024 at 4:25 PM, comicjel said:

I'm sure whatever graded books they had in their possession are being consigned ASAP - of course some are likely the real 9.8s. 

Some folks knowingly will try to get rid of these tampered 9.8's and pass on the problem to someone else... That's just wrong.

On 1/8/2024 at 5:56 PM, Buzzetta said:

Yes the shop is in Brooklyn.  I just found out what shop.  I can walk on over there if I wanted at some point this week. lol

Sounds like time for a stroll through that shop to peruse the inventory and see if you can spot some books with issues or shady characters trying to sell you some books out the back of their van. :baiting:

:popcorn:

• Administrator
On 1/8/2024 at 7:20 PM, comicwiz said:

@CGC Mike I have noticed strikethroughs on certain books appearing on the "impacted" list. But I have just noticed a cert number that wasn't on it from the time I first downloaded it.

Would it be possible whenever these updates are made to the list, that the person tag somewhere, either at the original date, or somewhere at the top of the list, when these updates occur? :Like an Last updated Jan 8th

The certification number I'm referring to is: 3813909-003. I am unsure if there have been others added as well. I'm just one of many I'm sure that would like to be able to track these updates so we know the latest additions as well as removals from the list. 

Thanks!

I can ask the team.

On 1/8/2024 at 8:35 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Sounds like time for a stroll through that shop to peruse the inventory and see if you can spot some books with issues or shady characters trying to sell you some books out the back of their van. :baiting:

:popcorn:

WebP Image.webp

On 1/8/2024 at 8:16 PM, Crimsonira said:

This was my book, just found out shipping it to CGC today…. Not happy.

For what it is worth, I really do not see how the scam is used on a signature series book so it might be just flagged due to the account that submitted it. 

On 1/8/2024 at 7:06 PM, migmtl76 said:
On 1/8/2024 at 3:25 PM, comicjel said:

I'm sure whatever graded books they had in their possession are being consigned ASAP - of course some are likely the real 9.8s. 

Some folks knowingly will try to get rid of these tampered 9.8's and pass on the problem to someone else... That's just wrong.

Unless I am doing the query incorrectly, these two books correspond to submissions with books on the list.

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3F_SORT%3DYES%26returning%3D1%26FocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Damazing%2Bspider-man%26ItemType%3DCB%26GO%3DGO%26f1%3DCondition%26ODire1%3DDESC%26f2%3D4%2C%2BIssueNumber%2C%2BVolumeNumber%26ODire2%3DASC%26f3%3DLastUpdate%26ODire3%3DASC%26fshowpicture%3D1%26fthumbbeenhere%3D1%26freliststatus%3D%26pg%3D2%23Item_1742468&id=1742468&itemType=0#detail 

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dx%2Dmen%26ItemType%3DCB%26pg%3D2%23Item_1742471&id=1742471&itemType=0

On 1/8/2024 at 2:45 PM, comicjel said:

Another thing that bugs me is why he stopped churning the ASM 194s (apologize if this was addressed earlier). 

My guess is after the comic boom, the book dropped off so much, there wasn't enough profit to continue.   
At it's height it was $5000. It quickly went down by 50% Number of sales tapered off as well.

On 1/8/2024 at 8:32 PM, 360flip said:

only 003 of the 4287881 submission is on the list. And only 002 of 4357311 is on the list

That confirms what I concluded as well. Being one of those impacted by this incident and fraud, I align with mrd160 as well as others who have commented and lent their countless effort and assistance in this whole debacle that any book that this individual came in contact with or crossed his hands should be listed for a thorough review with extreme prejudice and scrutiny in said review. 

On 1/8/2024 at 8:51 PM, Crimsonira said:

Yeah I really don’t have a clue, the book looks great… I never sent it in, and I don’t have any of the others.  I will keep the board posted.

someone already mentioned today, that you had said that you purchased it from the comic store in Brooklyn. I can tell you that it appears to me, that it was visible in a photo behind the owner of a store at a convention in 2019. It appears that it is in the same Stan Lee, custom label, and it also appears at a distance, as tho stan's signature is in the same place on the front cover along with Ayres. I don't know that I would be comfortable, when I was not the one that submitted the book, to send it to CGC to be reviewed, without them, explaining to me, exactly what it is that they need to look for. Good luck, this Situation feels like it would be ulcer inducing to me.

Edited by sledgehammer