• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,029 posts in this topic

On 1/10/2024 at 4:00 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

If there were DC custom labels, I’m sure there would be some on the list.

Agreed, but There are no custom labels because no one cares :) (I do….but I’m not normal)

On 1/10/2024 at 12:38 PM, mrd160 said:

unfortunately immaculate comics showed how easy it was to get the label out of the inner well and swap it out. He showed a competitor's slab

Yes, but on 2nd gen slabs the label is sealed into the top of the inner well and you have to tear it a little to get it out.  

On 1/10/2024 at 4:59 PM, buttock said:

Yes, but on 2nd gen slabs the label is sealed into the top of the inner well and you have to tear it a little to get it out.  

Check out the video on YouTube. He addresses this 

On 1/10/2024 at 2:49 PM, MAR1979 said:

Low Intelligence Viewer - generally the easiest folks to influence and rile up. Not that common a term my apologies for using it. Next time I'll go back to saying rubes or sheep

Of course I'm the person who collects DC Digests and Little Stooges Comics so perhaps I too am a rube..?

20201217_193517.jpg.7c13a322bcc9a0dfb25974d2062a0131.jpg

On 1/10/2024 at 3:57 PM, mrd160 said:

If this scam proves nothing else, it proves that no one gives a s@#% about DC…lol. I mean hey, I do, I’ve been collecting almost exclusively DC for the past 10 years lol 

I prefer DC to Marvel up to about 1975. Not sure what changed after that, but something did. My favorites are about 1958-1970.

On 1/10/2024 at 2:59 PM, buttock said:

I had a bunch of 1st gen slabs that the labels weren't sealed. Some were sealed poorly and some weren't sealed at all. The second were sealed pretty well.

On 1/10/2024 at 3:14 PM, shadroch said:

I had a bunch of 1st gen slabs that the labels weren't sealed. Some were sealed poorly and some weren't sealed at all. The second were sealed pretty well.

I don't think the 1st gen labels were sealed in.  That didn't come along until the 2nd gen.  

On 1/10/2024 at 2:14 PM, shadroch said:

Having cracked out 500+ slabs I’d say that it was very inconsistent.

On 1/10/2024 at 3:49 PM, MAR1979 said:

Low Intelligence Viewer - generally the easiest folks to influence and rile up. Not that common a term my apologies for using it. Next time I'll go back to saying rubes or sheep

Of course I'm the person who collects DC Digests and Little Stooges Comics so perhaps I too am a rube..?

self-aware rubes are okay.:banana:

On 1/10/2024 at 4:01 PM, mrd160 said:

Agreed, but There are no custom labels because no one cares :) (I do….but I’m not normal)

My GA Batman books are the only ones that have continued to go up in value and did not get the COVID bump and crash. A few have gone up 3 to 4 times and do not seem to be slowing down.

On 1/10/2024 at 3:57 PM, mrd160 said:

If this scam proves nothing else, it proves that no one gives a s@#% about DC…lol. I mean hey, I do, I’ve been collecting almost exclusively DC for the past 10 years lol 

My Grendels are safe too. Stay away from my indies!!! I bought a raw Cerebus 1 just so I could submit to CGC myself.:banana:

If we have confirmed there are none new added to the list, then I have a follow up question

The ones that are crossed off, why are they?

Because they've been checked and deemed ok?

Because they've been checked and removed from the census?

Are no longer a valid cert?

Or were fine and CGC is leaving them with the same cert number but crossing them off "the list?"

🤔

On 1/10/2024 at 5:57 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

If we have confirmed there are none new added to the list, then I have a follow up question

The ones that are crossed off, why are they?

Because they've been checked and deemed ok?

Because they've been checked and removed from the census?

Are no longer a valid cert?

Or were fine and CGC is leaving them with the same cert number but crossing them off "the list?"

🤔

Seems like all of the above may be true, there isn’t any real consistency:

This book has a new graded date, but isn’t crossed off the list and has retained its cert number:

1589872-002 Amazing Fantasy #15 ("Stan Lee '86" written on page 1 in pen) 1962

Also it says this when you look it up now:

CGC Cert #
1589872002 - Contact reportfraud@collectiblesgroup.com if you own or are offered this book.

But if it was graded on 1/5/24 like it says then wouldn’t CGC be in possession of it? 

This book has been crossed off and doesn’t appear when you try to verify anymore presumably it got a new cert?

1341998-001 Amazing Spider-Man #1 (Signed by Stan Lee on 11/1/15) 1963

This book has been crossed off and does appear when you verify but without an updated graded date or an updated cert:

0800641-009 Avengers #57 1968

So yes, all of your questions are valid particularly because there isn’t really any pattern to what’s happening with books being removed.