• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,030 posts in this topic

• Administrator
On 1/12/2024 at 9:09 PM, Nick Furious said:

Sorry to nitpick, but I assume that is fair market value based on the label in the slab, not the actual book in the slab.

This is covered in our CGC Guarantee that is linked in red above.  I read it, and I think it will answer your question.

On 1/12/2024 at 8:21 PM, Lightning55 said:

It's the same statement that was issued 1/3/24. Now you're happy with it??

On 1/12/2024 at 8:21 PM, Lightning55 said:

It's the same statement that was issued 1/3/24. Now you're happy with it??

When Was I not?

I literally asked all these questions 5 pages back and no one answered me, but had the same questions I had.

How soon we forget, these refreshers of cgc Mike answered those questions that no one answered.

Therefore it checked my boxes

On 1/10/2024 at 6:57 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

If we have confirmed there are none new added to the list, then I have a follow up question

The ones that are crossed off, why are they?

Because they've been checked and deemed ok?

Because they've been checked and removed from the census?

Are no longer a valid cert?

Or were fine and CGC is leaving them with the same cert number but crossing them off "the list?"

🤔

On 1/12/2024 at 7:37 PM, CGC Mike said:

FAQs

What happens when I submit a book for Holder Review?

If your book is determined to be correctly graded, it will be reholdered with a new certification number and returned to you at no charge. If your book is determined to be incorrectly graded, CGC will retain your book as evidence, and you will be compensated for the current fair market value of the book in accordance with the CGC Guarantee.

How did CGC create the list of impacted books?

Due to the ongoing investigation, at this time we cannot share how we determined which books were impacted.

What changes are being made because of this incident?

CGC is always evaluating ways to make our processes better and our holders more secure. Every reholder submission is now being reviewed by a Senior Grader, and we have made other significant improvements to our processes as a result of this incident. We will continue to take appropriate steps to help ensure that this type of incident does not happen again.

We will make an announcement if we have any new information to share about updates to our processes or holders. However, please understand that some updates will not be made public because they are proprietary and relate to security.

Will the list of impacted certification numbers be retained?

We will retain the list of impacted certification numbers on this page of our website. As impacted books are returned, the certification number will be struck through, indicating it is no longer valid and the book has been given a new certification number. Certification numbers that are no longer valid will not be searchable in the Verify CGC Certification database, consistent with our normal reholder process and to ensure that there is no duplication in the CGC Census population report.

@Lightning55 where were you on page 535?

No worries I haven't read everything either and had to prove I wasn't an insufficiently_thoughtful_person for not doing so, by admitting that videos explaining how to pull off the cgc scam is good info and doesn't post a legal threat to cgc, because it is a fact.

Fact is I wouldn't have done it lol

On 1/12/2024 at 9:23 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I literally asked all these questions 5 pages back and no one answered me, but had the same questions I had.

How soon we forget, these refreshers of cgc Mike answered those questions that no one answered.

Therefore it checked my boxes

So the answers to your questions have been public knowledge since Jan. 3rd, by way of a CGC announcement. And you have been asking the questions for 5 pages (or what seems like 20).

Is this like Jeopardy, where they give you the answer and you have to come up with the question??

Thanks Mike, I love that you are continuing to keep us informed.  In light of the videos that claimed to show books can be swapped without evidence I would hope CGC will come out to say the holders are still tamper evident and show what to look for.  I personally believe nobody has swapped without any tampering evidence, but I hear many that think it's being done, or can be done without showing tampering signs.

On 1/12/2024 at 8:48 PM, Lightning55 said:

So the answers to your questions have been public knowledge since Jan. 3rd, by way of a CGC announcement. And you have been asking the questions for 5 pages (or what seems like 20).

Is this like Jeopardy, where they give you the answer and you have to come up with the question??

I'm going to start reporting your replies, cause that is not close to what I said. I posted the questions once.

The Jan 3rd doesn't explain why cert numbers are being crossed off the list, nor any explanation of details whether they have been cleared and today @CGC Mike answered those questions.

You're not onky baiting but getting your facts wrong. Good day

On 1/12/2024 at 7:48 PM, Lightning55 said:

The FAQ wasn’t there on 1/3. It’s been added.

On 1/12/2024 at 9:16 PM, Lightning55 said:

Yes, apparently I did have my facts wrong, but the dates on the announcement were wrong.

Plus I was punch drunk from reading dozens of posts by 2 loonies going back and forth about the YouTube videos, at the expense of the other 10,000 of us who really don't care about that one way or the other.

I agree cause the lousy excuse for  video's , I mean cases didn't have to be perfect to get through cgc quality control.

Got it!

Thanks ???

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 1/12/2024 at 1:20 PM, comicjel said:

I think CGC should start printing a high resolution scan of the ungraded book on the CGC label (maybe even front of book on front of label and back of book on back of label) - I think it would make things safer.

On 1/12/2024 at 1:25 PM, William-James88 said:

They already have a high quality scan of the ungraded book which links back to the cert number so what you are asking for is already in place. It does make things safer for the future. The issue is with all graded books before this was recently put in place.

The scans are not of the ungraded book, but of the graded, encapsulated book.

I’ve been pretty critical of CGC on this thread but slowly they’re providing some answers and I think they’ll get there eventually. It’s obvious we’re going to get a new holder out of this which is long overdue and Immaculate Comics has shown a much better holder is possible. It will suck to have to reholder books to hold their value but hopefully they offer some specials to make things right.  

Props to the community for getting us this far. CGC is gonna take a hit in the short term but the hobby will be better in the long run.