• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,028 posts in this topic

On 2/28/2024 at 10:45 AM, flchris said:

going down that rabbit hole, doing a search for the cert number also pulled up a hip comic sale of the book from a seller possibly out of Astoria NY in 2021, so maybe they were the seller in one of the ebay sales in 2021.

Damn. I could probably walk from Astoria to Kew Gardens in about 4 hours.

:preach:

On 2/28/2024 at 10:10 AM, sledgehammer said:

The actual signatures by Stan on all of these caught my attention as well.

The small size of two of them, done in 2011 and 2018, and this one on the Night Nurse, strike me as odd, but I'm no expert.

Would Stan's have looked this weird, in 2015?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/296248366610?itmmeta=01HQR3ZSM2FVJHNWADZT6GCBNZ&hash=item44f9c75612:g:jpoAAOSwj61l1sql

I think the Night Nurse is fine. A tired Stan sig appropriate for that time frame. 

On 2/28/2024 at 11:43 AM, comicjel said:

How about this one... "Hey Stan, please sign right on the black area where nobody will be able to see it!"...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/296248366800?itmmeta=01HQR9EYMG4B3M8DJKH3B336KC&hash=item44f9c756d0:g:Da8AAOSwoWBl1sqi

Stan was notorious for signing in areas of poor contrast. Probably because he was half out of it after being driven like a $2 mule at public signings the last few years of his life. From what little I can see, nothing obviously wrong with it.  

On 2/28/2024 at 9:27 AM, comicjel said:

You can also get a sense of an EBAY seller's typical inventory by what they have successfully sold... when they show no high valued comics having been historically sold, at the same moment that they are selling a bunch of high value comics, a little more care and due diligence is well advised!  

@BlowUpTheMoon Pretry sure this shop is near you. I think you’ve dealt with Sleeping Giant before based on an old post from a Google search. Any info on the quality of items they usually carry?

This post from 2018 speaks to the types of books they have carried in the past in the store. 

On 2/28/2024 at 2:26 PM, Mr. Zipper said:

Stan was notorious for signing in areas of poor contrast. Probably because he was half out of it after being driven like a $2 mule at public signings the last few years of his life. From what little I can see, nothing obviously wrong with it.  

Very true. There was one during the McFarlane opp that Todd nearly signed over Stan's signature due to the darkness of where it was and then made a remark about it on the book of some sort. I tried to look up the book in the McFarlane signing thread from awhile back but all the videos are unavailable and think I saw it during one of them.

On 2/28/2024 at 2:41 PM, awakeintheashes said:

@BlowUpTheMoon Pretry sure this shop is near you. I think you’ve dealt with Sleeping Giant before based on an old post from a Google search. Any info on the quality of items they usually carry?

This post from 2018 speaks to the types of books they have carried in the past in the store. 

I’ve been in their “store”, which is just a couple of converted rooms in an old school.  They’ve gotten my Mail because we have similar addresses. 

I remember seeing them sell the larger SA keys in mid-grades.   When they setup at a show locally, they don’t bring any inventory, just multiple copies of a handful of moderns. It’s odd.

On 2/28/2024 at 3:21 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

I’ve been in their “store”, which is just a couple of converted rooms in an old school.  They’ve gotten my Mail because we have similar addresses. 

I remember seeing them sell the larger SA keys in mid-grades.   When they setup at a show locally, they don’t bring any inventory, just multiple copies of a handful of moderns. It’s odd.

Thanks. I was trying to find info on them online outside of the online store, but didn’t see much besides Facebook. It does look like the “store” is closed today, which is real odd for a comic book store. 

On 2/28/2024 at 10:42 AM, flchris said:

George at GPA was nice enough to send me a message.

At least two of the sales appear to be in the seller reported as sold, relisted the book section at the bottom on the daredevil 1 GPA page.

It doesn't note the cert #, but it does say Yellow 5.0, and the prices match.

On 2/28/2024 at 7:26 AM, paqart said:

I hate to say it, but I'm starting to prefer raw comics, particularly for the most valuable issues. I have a hard time picturing myself buying something like an Avengers 1 in a slab, for fear it was a counterfeit. It hadn't occurred to me until reading this thread, but the slabs invite counterfeiting by concealing comic book interiors.

Well, a simple solution to this would be to crack them out and besides avoiding the counterfeit problems, also gain the additional benefits of having them encased in a beautiful glossy mylar holder along with the ability to hold them in your hand and enjoy the books the way they were meant to be enjoyed.  (thumbsu  :luhv:

On 2/28/2024 at 3:09 PM, sledgehammer said:

George at GPA was nice enough to send me a message.

At least two of the sales appear to be in the seller reported as sold, relisted the book section at the bottom on the daredevil 1 GPA page.

It doesn't note the cert #, but it does say Yellow 5.0, and the prices match.

The earlier two sales didn’t indicate the cert number on gocollect either. I was just glancing and noticed the same chip in the corner and then zoomed in on the slab to get a look at the cert.

On 2/28/2024 at 11:11 AM, sledgehammer said:

I have a Stan sig from a signing a week apart from this one and mine actually looks worse (and I know mine is legit).  He was nearly blind at the time and 6 months away from his passing - this sig looks legit to me

On 3/1/2024 at 11:02 AM, ramithard said:

.......and on a lighter side.....9 modern books received at CGC on 2/23...shipped 2/29 (thumbsu

Still holding onto about 20 books I was considering grading.