• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,028 posts in this topic

Just in case anyone is wondering - I checked in with CGC customer service yesterday as it has been over a month since they confirmed the book I sent them had been tampered with (ASM 194) At the time they had said 'we will follow up with you'. 

The response yesterday: "At this time we do not have an update on this incident.  Please know that we are working on the next steps and will reach out as soon as we have an update."

So who knows what is going on behind the scenes, but certainly not in a rush to compensate those impacted.

On 3/12/2024 at 1:36 PM, Panda2 said:

Just in case anyone is wondering - I checked in with CGC customer service yesterday as it has been over a month since they confirmed the book I sent them had been tampered with (ASM 194) At the time they had said 'we will follow up with you'. 

The response yesterday: "At this time we do not have an update on this incident.  Please know that we are working on the next steps and will reach out as soon as we have an update."

So who knows what is going on behind the scenes, but certainly not in a rush to compensate those impacted.

Every 2 weeks i inquire about my compensation and get the same response. I’m beyond frustrated 

Edited by Mdesimone

On 3/12/2024 at 12:36 PM, Panda2 said:

This is really starting to feel like when this first broke, somebody at CGC (knowing they screwed up) wanted to do the right thing but as this evolved the lawyers got involved and ground it to a halt. It sort of makes sense as buying these books back is an admission of culpability and when they decided to start filing lawsuits that probably had to stop.

On 3/12/2024 at 4:07 PM, BrashL said:

This is really starting to feel like when this first broke, somebody at CGC (knowing they screwed up) wanted to do the right thing but as this evolved the lawyers got involved and ground it to a halt. It sort of makes sense as buying these books back is an admission of culpability and when they decided to start filing lawsuits that probably had to stop.

I wish they would say that . All I get is we don’t have any new information. They have already admitted to messing up. If you’re going to keep my property as evidence then I should receive documentation for that. Or at least do what you promised pay me…

@CGC Mike the line “It is possible that some of the claims will be partly dispositioned by re-grading the book and returning it to the customer.” Worries me a bit. Is this to suggest I might get my fake 9.8 book back in a 9.2 slab with a cheque for a couple hundred bucks?  REALLY hoping this isn’t going to be the proposed solution….

Many thanks,

Panda2

On 3/12/2024 at 8:38 PM, Panda2 said:

@CGC Mike the line “It is possible that some of the claims will be partly dispositioned by re-grading the book and returning it to the customer.” Worries me a bit. Is this to suggest I might get my fake 9.8 book back in a 9.2 slab with a cheque for a couple hundred bucks?  REALLY hoping this isn’t going to be the proposed solution….

Many thanks,

Panda2

Sorry, you are going through this.  I unfortunately think this is likely, since it would be the cheapest method for CGC.  Your FMV was $5000 now it is $2500, here is your book and check.  Yeah, saves them $2500.

Edited by drotto

On 3/12/2024 at 5:38 PM, Panda2 said:

Many thanks,

Panda2

A cheque for a couple hundred??

More like a CGC credit towards your next submission. meh

On 3/12/2024 at 3:14 PM, Drummy said:

I'm in the same boat, trying to be patient with what is clearly an insurance and legal process at this point.  They have my (expensive) book, can't tell me if it's now restored, can't tell me what the new grade might be, can't tell me when anything will be resolved, can't tell me if I'll get my money back, can't seem to answer any of my questions, no matter how simple.

I've been on the boards for 22 years and have appreciated CGC for all they do, warts and all.  But if I'm screwed on this book somehow (i.e., not made whole in a reasonable and timely manner), there will be hell to pay.  Every day and week that passes, they are mounting frustration with an important group of people -- those who have been harmed by a scammer taking advantage of a faulty holder process and bought it with trust.  At least they should have their leadership letting people know what's actually going on in a general sense.

Back to waiting with patience...

Dan

Case of CGC adding insult to injury.  Incredibly short sighted on CGC's behalf "again".  They should get a PR person for there PR person.  I hope that it works out for you Dan.

On 3/17/2024 at 11:46 AM, jcjames said:

A cheque for a couple hundred??

More like a CGC credit towards your next submission. meh

This would be the worst case scenario, as I have never had a book graded by CGC - I just buy on the aftermarket as it is supposed to be safe lol

On 3/17/2024 at 7:26 PM, CGC Mike said:

I am trying to get answers for everyone's concerns.  Please be patient a while longer.  

This is really shocking that the people in charge don't have any ready answers for you; puts you in a terrible position. The way this has been handled has been absolutely baffling, especially considering they hired a risk management consultant.