• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Found a Very Strange/Interesting Printing Defect
1 1

22 posts in this topic

On 1/8/2024 at 2:56 AM, Comicdave said:

So first question is, have any of you ever seen anything like this? Any idea what may have caused this to happen? What were those pieces of paper with the numbers on them for?     

That is bizarre. A loose, apparently intentionally shaped piece of paper, sitting perfectly vertical, with perfectly centered numbering. Even the fact that the art on the other page is so visible beneath it is odd. I love it. 

On 1/8/2024 at 9:05 AM, DougC said:

Could this be an over run on the production spool (paper) where it should have been changed out?

The text is REF 86 526 0ED

85, I think?

I like your way of thinking Doug. How would that be spotted though, in practice, whizzing around at a thousand miles an hour?

On 1/8/2024 at 10:55 AM, DougC said:

The 85 really opened up the search, here is another picture:

wur5v8e8qe181.webp.d8573708726e7c95cce70ec11269eb77.webp

The explanation on le reddit was given as:

Brilliant :headbang:

On 1/8/2024 at 4:09 PM, rjpb said:

I've never seen that before but it's the sort of cool defect that someone is going to want.

Indeed. If that was in an Amazing Spidey I'd have paid silly billy money for it :)

On 1/8/2024 at 4:05 AM, DougC said:

Could this be an over run on the production spool (paper) where it should have been changed out?

I used to get free pork roll (Taylor Ham for some of you...) that were odd shapes, end cuts and "end of spool" wraps.:banana:

On 1/8/2024 at 1:01 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

@Comicdave Dave, does the paper area beneath the loose pieces feel thinner or different to the rest of the overall page? 

It doesn't feel any different from the rest of the page. It appears the small pieces of paper had some glue/gum on one side. Similiar to a post it note, which is what left the stain on the other side of the page and made it so you could see the artwork from the other page. I guess the glue deteriorated over time, which is why the pieces came off.

On 1/8/2024 at 10:06 AM, JollyComics said:

While I was in the college days, I was an intern as the printer/graphic designer for two summers.  I had seen the large paper rolls on the pallets.  There were the labels on the rolls.  Probably the printers were too lazy to remove them before installing the rolls inside the four color printing machines.  The supervisors might not check the uncut printed 8 page papers on the bin.  Sometimes, the printing foreman overlooked them before all uncut printed papers went straight to the binary area.  The supervisors intended to not check all magazines for any defects everyday.  All magazines were immediately shipped out right after the binary area.  Sometimes, it happened.  The sellers could report to the printing or advertising companies about the printing/binary defects but most of time the sellers didn't care about it.

I remembered there was a big dry of 1988. Inside the web-press building was unforgiving hot.   It's like 85 to 87 degrees with all ceiling fans were running at the full speed.  I was inside the graphic design office with A/C.  They might not pay attention at all despite inside so hot.

Until you got a bonus!

You would think if this was somewhat a common occurence, that there would be more examples of this occuring in comics. Even double covers happens/happened every once in awhile. By the way, do double covers on comics even happen anymore? Are there examples of double covers on comics from let's say the past 5 years?

On 1/8/2024 at 7:42 PM, Comicdave said:

You would think if this was somewhat a common occurence, that there would be more examples of this occuring in comics. Even double covers happens/happened every once in awhile. By the way, do double covers on comics even happen anymore? Are there examples of double covers on comics from let's say the past 5 years?

Double cover was caused by dry static. I think it's recent solution to prevent the double cover occurrence today.  It's almost impossible to see the double cover on any recent modern comic book even the magazine. Once I owned the double cover of Deadpool #47 that was printed in 2000.

On 1/8/2024 at 5:42 PM, Comicdave said:

I have one form 2015

ASM10Label.jpg.40de8860e94390596d7a0db6f5e77c92.jpg

On 1/8/2024 at 8:08 PM, aszumilo said:
On 1/8/2024 at 7:42 PM, Comicdave said:

I have one form 2015

ASM10Label.jpg.40de8860e94390596d7a0db6f5e77c92.jpg

While I still think he has a point, there is one as recent as 2019 with a venom/knull book as well. I thought they might have been manufactured that way as recent is as rare, but I think that book has several. Maybe it is true to that book only or similarly I feel past 2000s is slim pickings, although I too have this one from 2011. @aszumilo

I guess extra wraps counts toward his theory, while not technically a double cover, so posted one to spice things up!

3471804_Full_Obv.jpg

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 1/8/2024 at 8:39 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

While I still think he has a point, there is one as recent as 2019 with a venom/knull book as well. I thought they might have been manufactured that way as recent is as rare, but I think that book has several. Maybe it is true to that book only or similarly I feel past 2000s is slim pickings, although I too have this one from 2011

My bad it was from 2020 venom/knull

May be a tangent but since it is "some knowledge thought I'd contribute", now that I see the pics and know this book is common it "could be" manufactured that way

It was from 2020 closest I came to seeing a notation all in spoiler 

Spoiler

Screenshot_20240108_204029_eBay.jpg

Spoiler

Screenshot_20240108_204614_eBay.jpg

u

Edited by ADAMANTIUM