• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2024 CGC Grading Contest Season 3 Winter Edition (#9) Round 2
11 11

203 posts in this topic

Can someone explain to me the 3 grade difference between Revealing Romances and Farmer’s Daughter? Not being facetious—really would like to understand, because I thought they were very close to the same grade (I’m still learning when it comes to GA and lower grade books in general).

Edited by Nsschenks

@CGC Mike These are great contests and lots of fun for everyone, so this is not a complaint but a suggestion. In the future, it would be nice if the books that were selected for grading didn't have major defects that you can't see in the scans. In round 2 there were 2 books that had spine splits that couldn't be seen in the scans. I realize there was a note about them, but the length makes a big difference in being able to assess the grade accurately. 

I would suggest that the notes include the approximate length of the split if there is doubt about whether it can be seen and also whether a staple is completely detached when that is not obvious because that is another defect that can sometimes be very difficult to accurately assess in a scan but has a major impact on the grade. 

The other solution would be to just not select books that have major defects that may not be seen clearly in a scan. 

I think either of these suggestions would go a long way in making these contests more enjoyable and educational for people.

On 2/3/2024 at 1:48 PM, apocalypse76 said:

@CGC Mike These are great contests and lots of fun for everyone, so this is not a complaint but a suggestion. In the future, it would be nice if the books that were selected for grading didn't have major defects that you can't see in the scans. In round 2 there were 2 books that had spine splits that couldn't be seen in the scans. I realize there was a note about them, but the length makes a big difference in being able to assess the grade accurately. 

I would suggest that the notes include the approximate length of the split if there is doubt about whether it can be seen and also whether a staple is completely detached when that is not obvious because that is another defect that can sometimes be very difficult to accurately assess in a scan but has a major impact on the grade. 

The other solution would be to just not select books that have major defects that may not be seen clearly in a scan. 

I think either of these suggestions would go a long way in making these contests more enjoyable and educational for people.

They might be harder to see but they are visible. I saw them. If you expect a spine split as your baseline for evaluation, it is easier to find.

On 2/3/2024 at 10:48 AM, apocalypse76 said:

In the future, it would be nice if the books that were selected for grading didn't have major defects that you can't see in the scans.

Two friendly and totally non-confrontational comments re these suggestions: :foryou:

1. Vintage comics (especially "Atomic Age" comics from the 1950s) often suffer from blemishes that are not apparent in flat front/back cover scans, including such defects as spine splits, toning/tanning to the inside covers, and partially/fully detached covers and/or centerfolds.  An award-winning grader needs to know how to account for these flaws -- both by themselves, as well as in combination with other defects.
  2. @CGC Mike does not grade the selected comics.  In fact, I strongly doubt that he's ever had a chance to view anything other than the same digital scans he provides to us.  The data he's able to provide to us are limited by the detail present in the archived grader notes -- and I've never personally seen grader notes where the length of a spine split was quantified (2", 3.25", etc).

No matter how much we're told, our precision will be limited by the simple fact that one simply cannot grade a book without holding it in hand:preach:

On 1/29/2024 at 10:27 PM, JollyComics said:

This reminds me of Rita Hayworth.                                        image.png.d0683d568ada473dbb3220d347dd5448.png

08-dotty36afront.thumb.jpg.968fcbdd2dfad14e68275b617f9cee7d.thumb.jpg.eda0cef82fe3b07a1985b7a364dcba55.jpg

Well spotted. I wouldn't be surprised if that photo was used as reference by the artist.

On 2/3/2024 at 1:31 PM, Nsschenks said:

Can someone explain to me the 3 grade difference between Revealing Romances and Farmer’s Daughter? Not being facetious—really would like to understand, because I thought they were very close to the same grade (I’m still learning when it comes to GA and lower grade books in general).

I gave Revealing Romances a 5.0 and Farmer's Daughter a 4.0, so I was close. For me, the RR cover had really nice eye appeal. Sure, the edges were worn and there were spine ticks, but there didn't seem to be much in the way of creasing. FD's eye appeal sucked...creasing all over the cover. Creasing where I'm wondering how/why a crease would form where it did. Also, I thought I saw more pronounced color fading on the FD cover than on the RR cover.

On 2/3/2024 at 10:09 AM, Point Five said:

We are grading from scans and not actual books, CGC's own standards bob and weave as you describe, etc etc. A lot of really good graders here end up in the middle or even the back of the pack. If you can look at the posted books and get even 'in the ballpark' on CGC grades for half of them, you are way, *way* ahead of the average comic grader out there.

Absolutely...my aim every time is not to win, but to be in the top 50% . I keep saying, it's guess the CGC grade, not what you would grade it. When I grade something for myself   I always go to the lower grade if I'm split between two. Makes less trauma for me in case I want to sell it later on...and I'm not disappointed if it goes for a little less.  Here, I'm bumping everything...some I bump a little too much and some I just can't figure out WHY it's so high...like the 9.2 last round that I had as a 7.5. I stretched that one from a 7.0 lol...;) 

I find if I do well on one or two rounds ...I probably won't on the next few...I just like listening to the chatter...I learned something the other day. I had NO idea they bumped Pedigree books...so I bumped the one this round and I think I was still a little too low.

On 2/3/2024 at 7:56 AM, AbsoluteCarnage said:

Thanks for running this as all the other contests Mike. As much as some of my guesses aren't where they should be, it's 100% always fun. .A good tool overall to help everyone learn to grade.

I'm new here, but agree 100%.  This is not only fun, it will help me get a better understanding of what sort of grade I could expect from a book in the future.  Thank you!

On 2/3/2024 at 1:31 PM, Nsschenks said:

From what I have learned, the edges matter a lot. On Revealing, the spine is the worst edge. The rest are not that bad and CGC tends to be forgiving on the spine and wear as long as the staples are holding and splits don't exist. What really knocks the Farmer's Daughter down are the fact that the top and bottom edge are also really worn. In addition, a couple creases that stretch from one side of the book to the other. Those are killer.

On 2/3/2024 at 12:57 PM, skypinkblu said:

Absolutely...my aim every time is not to win, but to be in the top 50% . I keep saying, it's guess the CGC grade, not what you would grade it. When I grade something for myself   I always go to the lower grade if I'm split between two. Makes less trauma for me in case I want to sell it later on...and I'm not disappointed if it goes for a little less.  Here, I'm bumping everything...some I bump a little too much and some I just can't figure out WHY it's so high...like the 9.2 last round that I had as a 7.5. I stretched that one from a 7.0 lol...;) 

I find if I do well on one or two rounds ...I probably won't on the next few...I just like listening to the chatter...I learned something the other day. I had NO idea they bumped Pedigree books...so I bumped the one this round and I think I was still a little too low.

I’m aiming to be in the top  95% 

On 2/3/2024 at 7:09 AM, Point Five said:

I say something like this in these contests every year: you shouldn't beat yourself up if you can't match the impossible standard of all bullseyes. The "fun" and the challenge in these contests is trying to calibrate exactly... something that can't really be calibrated exactly.  

We are grading from scans and not actual books, CGC's own standards bob and weave as you describe, etc etc. A lot of really good graders here end up in the middle or even the back of the pack. If you can look at the posted books and get even 'in the ballpark' on CGC grades for half of them, you are way, *way* ahead of the average comic grader out there.

I look for consistency within myself sure I could bump grades and get closer ,but consistency is the most important to me .Understanding consistency when you buy from members on this board is knowing the consistency of there grading . Just because I think a book is 8.0 and this person graded it 8.5 is fine with me as long as its mostly consistent , as every dog does have his day . 

• Administrator

Thanks for the kind words.  I keep my posts in the PM's as "business only" with my replies.  But, I do notice the remarks that many people post.  They make me smile.  

On 2/3/2024 at 1:49 PM, JollyComics said:

Results coming?

I was told some time tonight.  I will send another reminder text.

On 2/3/2024 at 7:14 PM, CGC Mike said:

Thanks for the kind words.  I keep my posts in the PM's as "business only" with my replies.  But, I do notice the remarks that many people post.  They make me smile.  

I was told some time tonight.  I will send another reminder text.

Good to know!   It's anxious to see the lead changes.

• Administrator

I was just asked if people would be upset if they were sent to me tomorrow around 11:00 AM?  I said that will be fine.  So, I will post the results tomorrow night around 8:00.  Sorry for the delay.  

On 2/3/2024 at 7:31 PM, CGC Mike said:

I was just asked if people would be upset if they were sent to me tomorrow around 11:00 AM?  I said that will be fine.  So, I will post the results tomorrow night around 8:00.  Sorry for the delay.  

Aw man, now I have to wait for everyone to see how awesome I am... :baiting:lol

ron.jpg.4006d77463d68408f48ac63b151406e1.jpg