• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Files Lawsuit Against Employees
30 30

673 posts in this topic

On 2/18/2024 at 8:11 AM, Gaard said:

"substantial amounts"

"large quantities"

"considerable quantities"

I'm not picking a side here. I just want to point out that all those terms are very subjective.

Sure, but "standardized products" isn't. 

On 2/18/2024 at 12:58 PM, Badger said:

Mass production means "without serial numbers" is the definition you are touting? I'll give you a minute to think that through.

Not in the least - I am just pointing out that each slabbed comic is unique, and thus not a matter of "mass production." 

Seriously, it would be impossible for CGC to churn out as many slabs as they do in a year if they were not using principles of mass production. How is this even an argument?

Some principles of mass production are most certainly used, but that alone doesn't make it mass production - I mean, you kinda undercut your own argument in your prior paragraphs:

Mustangs are largely built by robot. Does this mean they are no longer mass produced? Of course not. If the doors were still attached by a human, who had to attach a minimum of 40 doors a day, would that suddenly become custom craftmanship? No. it would not.

Mass production is an assembly of parts into a finished product using specialization of labor and tools.  Lamborghini, where they can produce a few cars a month, is custom craftmanship.

You can't tell me that Lamborghini's don't involve some "principles of mass production."

Let's say you have a 3.0 Amazing Fantasy #15 that you send in to CGC for grading. Will you be happy if they send you back just any 3.0 Amazing Fantasy #15, or would you insist on getting back your 3.0 copy? If the products aren't largely interchangeable, they aren't mass production.

And, once again, the actual physical slab is only a portion of what you are paying for, it is the service of providing a grade; the slab is just a means to an end.

On 2/19/2024 at 7:16 AM, Ryan. said:

Have you ever gotten that sweet dopamine rush from winning an internet argument? Lemme tell ya, brother, that's a dragon worth chasing. 

No, no, i have not. I charge the dragon, while mounted on my sturdy donkey, only to find that it has been a windmill all along. :deadhorse:

Edited by Badger

On 2/19/2024 at 1:23 AM, szav said:

Does anyone disagree that CGCs rushed assembly line style high volume seemingly lower quality/security standards than is necessary manner of operations (whatever you want to classify it as) is largely what's to blame for the mounting scandals, loss of trust, and potential personal monetary loss to anyone who has bought into their products?

And yet there are those still moaning about how slow the TATs are. Maybe it's all a case of wanting cake and eating it too? I have the solution.... increase the personnel with an emphasis on the Quality Assurance and shipping, double the price of the service, and call it a day. They may find that the workload decreases and the extra help eliminates the problems. There may even be an increase at the bottom line. That leaves plenty of time to ponder, what is the sound of a million fanboys whining, when no one is around to care? GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

On 2/19/2024 at 10:11 AM, jimjum12 said:

And yet there are those still moaning about how slow the TATs are. Maybe it's all a case of wanting cake and eating it too? I have the solution.... double the personnel with an emphasis on the Quality Assurance and shipping, double the price of the service, and call it a day. They may find that the workload decreases and the extra help eliminates the problems. There may even be an increase at the bottom line. That leaves plenty of time to ponder, what is the sound of a million fanboys whining, when no one is around to care? GOD BLESS ...

Crazy Talk :insane: :wink:

On 2/19/2024 at 11:13 AM, CJ Design said:

Crazy Talk :insane: :wink:

lol

Like my Momma used to say, "Imma give you something to whine about!". GOD BLESS ...

...it's time for CGC to go all "Soup Nazi" on some peeps. 

... all kidding aside, I'm betting this scandal won't be happening again at CGC. 

Edited by jimjum12

On 2/17/2024 at 7:02 PM, Aman619 said:
On 2/17/2024 at 8:29 AM, shadroch said:

There are any number of reasons why "Suits" run organizations even when people more familiar with the product work for the company, and why CEOs and Presidents are let go when things go badly.                                    

sure, but that isn't happening here... The errors here were never under Matt's scope or control.

If Matt is not at least partially responsible for the operational running of CGC as the head hocho there, then who is?  ???

Not sure if I am correct here, but I see Matt as being much more of a "working President" as opposed to a "suits President" or more like a COO type in terms of his role at CGC.  As such, I believe he would have a lot of say in how the process is run and how security sytems are implemented including things such as chain of custody of books throughout the whole process.  hm

If the head honcho of CGC is not at least involved in these making these decisions, then I don't see who is because it shouldn't be anybody lower than him and I don't believe the "suits" upstairs would have the same level of detailed knowledge with respect to the operations and actual running of CGC that Matt would have.  (shrug)

On 2/19/2024 at 12:04 PM, szav said:

I have mixed feelings here.  I would normally pay more for, and be willing to wait longer for, a product that I know is actually tamper and counterfeit proof, and hasn't been adulterated by an inside job due to lack of internal security..  I do not have any inside knowledge of how their business model works and how profitable they are, but its always seemed to me like they must be wildly profitable...they have seemingly very low physical expenses, and by most accounts I've heard they don't pay well, and they don't seem to incur a lot of security related expenses....so, maybe I expect they should be willing to be a little less profitable for the sake of eating the cost of improvements they need to make in order to save their business.

Again though, I have no inside knowledge, don't really know how expensive their operating costs are (happy to be educated here if anyone knows) and I know the increased costs from actions we'd like to see them take are likely to get passed along to the customers.

You are, at least, willing to look at this through the lens of reality. It's not as if CGC is staffed by dwarves who burst into song on their way to clock in. In a business run in this fashion, regardless of it's categorization, usually increases in profit occur by reducing waste, materials OR manpower related. They could "increase" manpower, for example, by decreasing Secururity resources on Moderns, which no one is likely to steal, and adding them to the 300 and up stuff that might tempt an hourly employee. There are many creative ways to get more bang for the buck, if a management team is motivated. Unfortunately, in a corporate dynamic like CGC, failures are often covered up, or under-reported, so mid levels can retain their amply  compensated, "clipboard on legs" positions. Again, too much mandatory OT will undermine a worker's sense of job security, leaving a loss of investment in the job. Been there, done that.  I guarantee a corporate inspection is keeping a LOT of people working LONG hours for now. I'm still wondering how this cat got the ill-gotten gains out of the facility? That should quickly be made impossible. Is there, maybe, another culprit, as of yet, unidentified? GOD BLESS ...

Edited by jimjum12

On 2/19/2024 at 10:33 AM, jimjum12 said:

You are, at least, willing to look at this through the lens of reality. It's not as if CGC is staffed by dwarves who burst into song on their way to clock in. In a business run in this fashion, regardless of it's categorization, usually increases in profit occur by reducing waste, materials OR manpower related. They could "increase" manpower, for example, by decreasing Secururity resources on Moderns, which no one is likely to steal, and adding them to the 300 and up stuff that might tempt an hourly employee. There are many creative ways to get more bang for the buck, if a management team is motivated. Unfortunately, in a corporate dynamic like CGC, failures are often covered up, or under-reported, so mid levels can retain their amply  compensated, "clipboard on legs" positions. Again, too much mandatory OT will undermine a worker's sense of job security, leaving a loss of investment in the job. Been there, done that.  I guarantee a corporate inspection is keeping a LOT of people working LONG hours for now. I'm still wondering how this cat got the ill-gotten gains out of the facility? That should quickly be made impossible. Is there, maybe, another culprit, as of yet, unidentified? GOD BLESS ...

He mailed them out, just like every other shipment that left.

On 2/19/2024 at 12:18 PM, lou_fine said:

If Matt is not at least partially responsible for the operational running of CGC as the head hocho there, then who is?  ???

Not sure if I am correct here, but I see Matt as being much more of a "working President" as opposed to a "suits President" or more like a COO type in terms of his role at CGC.  As such, I believe he would have a lot of say in how the process is run and how security sytems are implemented including things such as chain of custody of books throughout the whole process.  hm

If the head honcho of CGC is not at least involved in these making these decisions, then I don't see who is because it shouldn't be anybody lower than him and I don't believe the "suits" upstairs would have the same level of detailed knowledge with respect to the operations and actual running of CGC that Matt would have.  (shrug)

Id say your are partially correct in that when issues of CGC handling of books while graded are discovered to have been susceptible to fraud and/or bad actors, yes, they go to Matt when looking for assistance in fixing it.  But Matt came along after 15 Years of SGCs grading mechanism were in effect.  He wasn't hired to make changes to it unless and until they needed his input.  And sure, if Matt discovered a flaw in the system he'd offer solutions when reporting it up the chain of command. Same as he would to speed the system, grading, grading notes and census issues he may feel could be better.

But in my mind, he's not responsible for existing opportunities that no-one else at SGC has envisioned could someday be exploited, which is what has happened this year.  He didnt create the systems! Nor was he promoted to test them for vulnerabilities.  How would he be responsible for flaws in them?

On 2/18/2024 at 4:10 AM, Samlarn72 said:

I have the same question about my ff5 some one stated grading it on the 28 of july and put it back a few hours later and did not report it missing that happen a few weeks later...been asking what happen if they talked to the person no answer yet, cgc want to give me the 400 I just want my book. 

They say its not with stolen books so I hope it can be found

Sounds like the part in my email about "we will continue to look for it and return it to you if found" was just glad handing me. Sounds like they need new graders, and an Operations Manager. 

On 2/20/2024 at 1:35 AM, Aman619 said:

he's not responsible for existing opportunities that no-one else at SGC has envisioned could someday be exploited

I don't believe this to be true. 
If he's not responsible, then who is? 

On 2/19/2024 at 11:35 PM, Aman619 said:

Id say your are partially correct in that when issues of CGC handling of books while graded are discovered to have been susceptible to fraud and/or bad actors, yes, they go to Matt when looking for assistance in fixing it.  But Matt came along after 15 Years of SGCs grading mechanism were in effect.  He wasn't hired to make changes to it unless and until they needed his input.  And sure, if Matt discovered a flaw in the system he'd offer solutions when reporting it up the chain of command. Same as he would to speed the system, grading, grading notes and census issues he may feel could be better.

But in my mind, he's not responsible for existing opportunities that no-one else at SGC has envisioned could someday be exploited, which is what has happened this year.  He didnt create the systems! Nor was he promoted to test them for vulnerabilities.  How would he be responsible for flaws in them?

"The buck stops here."    A simple philosophy every good leader understands. 

On 2/20/2024 at 8:45 AM, BlowUpTheMoon said:
On 2/19/2024 at 11:35 PM, Aman619 said:

he's not responsible for existing opportunities that no-one else at SGC has envisioned could someday be exploited

I don't believe this to be true. 
If he's not responsible, then who is?

Exactly.  Matt is in charge and ultimately responsible for everything that happens at CGC.

On 2/20/2024 at 10:03 AM, thehumantorch said:

Exactly.  Matt is in charge and ultimately responsible for everything that happens at CGC.

Silly.

Don't you know that the role of CGC President is to simply sit in a highchair with a plastic scepter and Burger King crown saying "I'm the President!" in your best Ralph Wiggum voice?

On 2/18/2024 at 4:38 PM, JollyComics said:

My last submission was June 2023.

I got you to squeal the safe-word last December. banana052.gif

Don't you remember? :baiting: