• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Files Lawsuit Against Employees
30 30

673 posts in this topic

On 2/20/2024 at 12:12 PM, Number 6 said:

Silly.

Don't you know that the role of CGC President is to simply sit in a highchair with a plastic scepter and Burger King crown saying "I'm the President!" in your best Ralph Wiggum voice?

tenor-2(10).gif.1dcc52f815ff547483884d286f6eb80e.gif

On 2/20/2024 at 11:54 AM, shadroch said:

"The buck stops here."    A simple philosophy every good leader understands. 

If you are saying that the buck stops at Matts desk? ... not even remotely true.  gimme a break.

Edited by Aman619

On 2/20/2024 at 11:54 AM, shadroch said:

"The buck stops here."    A simple philosophy every good leader understands. 

That was a famous saying from the man at the tip top of the endeavor, the President of the USA.   And it was a dont worry I got this political stance to say all is good and hes on top of it all, not hiding behind others mistakes.   Not even remotely the same as Matt Nelson as President of CGC as SGC operates their divisions.

On 2/20/2024 at 1:03 PM, thehumantorch said:

Exactly.  Matt is in charge and ultimately responsible for everything that happens at CGC.

sorry, I didnt mean to reply twice to same post. I clicked QUOTE 1 post on same post by mistake.. I thought I was replying to this post.

In a sense, sure, thats the way it wrks in many companies! Assuming that person truly has messed up and failed to do the job he was assigned.  But in many companies you can be VP, President etc, and there are PLENTY of thongs that can go wrong that dont cost you your job, or are even considered your fault just because you have a title of "president".  Plenty of companies use titles in different ways within their organization... and in this case it THEIR responsibility to clean up this mess.

Of course now that these flaws have ben discovered, if the President of CGC going forward fails to follow the new rules put in place, well, good luck. 

The Pass the Buck management system only works in D.C.

I must ask- what do you suppose the duties of a division president should be? Forget his title. Let us call him the CGC Manager. 

What do you think his responsibility should be and when should he be blamed?  A scandal occurred under his watch. Then two employees are caught stealing.  I heard about an interesting saga about a mechanical error in a book described as the first Japanese language, Spiderman.   I've invited the owner to come tell his story but I'm not sure he will. 

Edited by shadroch

Has there been release of anything conclusive that the in-house fraud was committed on no more than a maximum of 23 encapsulated books?  Has there been release of the total number of comics the fraudster couple had encapsulated since they began employment?

In other words, are we certain of the scope of the fraud, or is the potential for more slabs being involved being swept under the rug, so to speak?

On 2/20/2024 at 10:29 PM, shadroch said:

The Pass the Buck management system only works in D.C.

I must ask- what do you suppose the duties of a division president should be? Forget his title. Let us call him the CGC Manager. 

What do you think his responsibility should be and when should he be blamed?  A scandal occurred under his watch. Then two employees are caught stealing.  I heard about an interesting saga about a mechanical error in a book described as the first Japanese language, Spiderman.   I've invited the owner to come tell his story but I'm not sure he will. 

Not sure this is a pass the buck situation.... That would be Matt passing the buck and blame on others.  Havent heard anything like that.   Look, I dont work there, but from my interactions with them etc I am confident as to what Im saying.  Matt doesnt do the hiring, or set up the already installed grading process or the regrading operations, and management understands this and there's no upside for them to castigate, chasten berate or fire him given all the other things he does for the company. He's a creator for them, lives and breathes comics for decades, and markets CGC very well.  He's NOT walking the halls with a clipboard checking on people and processes...  It's a ridiculous suggestion that he be taken to the woodshed given how the company operates.   Titles are just tiles and mean different things in different companies. We cant just say that the "President" is responsible because he holds the title.  I think we'd just as easily fault SGC for firing Matt for this as you are faulting them for NOT pinning the blame on him personally because "he is president" of that division.

On 2/21/2024 at 4:00 PM, namisgr said:

Has there been release of anything conclusive that the in-house fraud was committed on no more than a maximum of 23 encapsulated books?  Has there been release of the total number of comics the fraudster couple had encapsulated since they began employment?

In other words, are we certain of the scope of the fraud, or is the potential for more slabs being involved being swept under the rug, so to speak?

Wondering the same thing and is there a list of the 23 books?

After an extensive internal investigation, it seems the employees involved included Ida Know,  Not Me, and Nobody.  Appropriate measures are now in place to keep the impossible from becoming commonplace. 

On 2/20/2024 at 8:16 PM, Aman619 said:

That was a famous saying from the man at the tip top of the endeavor, the President of the USA.   And it was a dont worry I got this political stance to say all is good and hes on top of it all, not hiding behind others mistakes.   Not even remotely the same as Matt Nelson as President of CGC as SGC operates their divisions.

"The buck stops here" doesn't mean "I'm the guy on whom all blame falls".  If you think that's how Truman operated, then why did he fire MacArthur?  

On 2/23/2024 at 11:37 AM, buttock said:

"The buck stops here" doesn't mean "I'm the guy on whom all blame falls".  If you think that's how Truman operated, then why did he fire MacArthur?  

It means I believe that all responsibility for my actions and all those reporting to me — is all mine.  I don’t recall my history re MacArthur so I can’t comment.  But wasn’t he a primadonna? Who had gone past his usefulness? 

On 2/23/2024 at 11:22 AM, Aman619 said:

It means I believe that all responsibility for my actions and all those reporting to me — is all mine. 

Exactly.  It doesn't mean "I get fired if something happens"

On 2/23/2024 at 11:22 AM, Aman619 said:

I don’t recall my history re MacArthur so I can’t comment.  But wasn’t he a primadonna? Who had gone past his usefulness? 

Basically he was insubordinate, but yeah.