• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Files Lawsuit Against Employees
30 30

673 posts in this topic

On 2/6/2024 at 7:44 PM, Nick Furious said:

As long as CGC owns the monopoly on public trust, they will be a magnet for opportunists who hope to misuse that trust for nefarious purposes.  Perhaps these two latest issues are just a matter of being duped.  If they had happened in a vacuum it would be reasonable enough to just chalk it up to a lack of anticipation on the part of CGC.  But there have been enough "bad look" situations in the past for the general public to start wondering just how committed CGC is to closing the door on those opportunists who wish to misuse their monopoly on public trust.  Can anyone really look at past shenanigans and conclude that CGC is committed, first and foremost, to protecting the hen house and preventing bad actors from gaining access it, regardless of the financial opportunity for CGC?         

This x 1000000.  Its incredible that so many boardies actually have an option that CGC needs to do better.  If all that comes from any of this is a thread that says exactly that, then the CGC accountants are not losing a single wink of sleep, because all of that and fifty cents will get you a cup of coffee.

You people vote with your dollars. Beg and plead and demand and shout your opinion to the rafters all you want; but at the end of the day, if you want things to change, then do something else, instead of exactly what you did before this stuff and after this stuff (and before and after all of the other instances of goofball antics).  Or don't and keep writing your diatribes on here. 

On 2/7/2024 at 8:07 AM, shadroch said:

If President Biden was a world-class sniper, should he attend to his duties as President, or should he join the troops as a sniper?  The President of an organization has duties and obligations that are very different from grading books. If Nelson is spending part of his time grading books, he is being negligent in his other duties. 

If he was the best we had, of course I'd want him out there. Even more so via your scenario. 

If CGC is short talented graders, it's up to Matt to decide if it better serves the company delegating his duties or getting his hands dirty.

On 2/7/2024 at 7:57 AM, I like pie said:

If he was the best we had, of course I'd want him out there. Even more so via your scenario. 

If CGC is short talented graders, it's up to Matt to decide if it better serves the company delegating his duties or getting his hands dirty.

My magic 8-ball theory is Matt Nelson will "decide" to go back to being the head grader, maybe with some PR story about him going back to his true passion or something. Then Blackstone will announce his replacement: some corporate businessperson to oversee the operations and growth opportunities, a position that requires no experience in grading/resto.

It would be a move to save face (Matt Nelson no longer president after these scandals happened on his watch), while also not losing such vital comic book expertise (retained at company in different capacity).

Just a thought.

On 2/7/2024 at 12:43 PM, brute_nm said:

My magic 8-ball theory is Matt Nelson will "decide" to go back to being the head grader, maybe with some PR story about him going back to his true passion or something. Then Blackstone will announce his replacement: some corporate businessperson to oversee the operations and growth opportunities, a position that requires no experience in grading/resto.

It would be a move to save face (Matt Nelson no longer president after these scandals happened on his watch), while also not losing such vital comic book expertise (retained at company in different capacity).

Just a thought.

This along with a new case would be the best thing for the company and the hobby. 

On 2/7/2024 at 6:49 PM, Buzzetta said:

Have we forgotten that Washington was the only sitting president to lead American forces into battle?   

Whiskey Rebellion - 1794

While there was no active engagement as the rebels dispersed before Washington's arrival, Washington is credited with leading the movement of over 10,000 troops to the area with the intention to suppress and disperse insurrectionists. 

IMG_0004.gif.5b95874f87c50e43b620aca101b97224.gif

On 2/6/2024 at 8:41 AM, jimjum12 said:

They;'e whacking them out, and when it's time for performance reviews, if a grader can't keep up, he will be getting a pink slip, not a trophy for participating. While it may be a service, it's sold by the unit. They're looking to set production records. It's more assembly than assessment.

I wouldn't argue with that as the reality of the situation, just whether it is a good thing. I think it's a rather terrible thing, but I'm not their target audience (I've never submitted anything, and only buy a slabbed book when it meets my own standards and is at the price I'd pay for a raw), so they probably don't really care about the perspective of a person like me.

Well, I guess I would argue a bit with the bolded part - some portion of their service is sold by the value of the book being graded, right? Which I always thought held the potential for abuse there, as it is in their best interest to give a high grade as they can then charge more.