• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Files Lawsuit Against Employees
30 30

673 posts in this topic

• Administrator
On 2/12/2024 at 9:11 AM, CGC Mike said:
On 2/12/2024 at 8:48 AM, sd2416 said:

@CGC Mike and records showing they handled my missing Hulk 181 order?

CGC0123566736

Hi

Can  you please point me to our prior conversations regarding this?  My PM inbox saw around 600 PM's  the last 2 weeks.  Although, I thought we discussed this publicly.   I wanted to review our communications before contacting the team for an update.  

Never mind.  I found all of our discussions in the TAT thread.  I will bump the e-mail I have with the operations manager.  

On 2/12/2024 at 8:21 AM, CGC Mike said:

Never mind.  I found all of our discussions in the TAT thread.  I will bump the e-mail I have with the operations manager.  

Gracias, sir.  

Are you a one man show, or do you have coworkers assisting with that 600+ messages? 

• Administrator
On 2/12/2024 at 8:48 AM, sd2416 said:

@CGC Mike and records showing they handled my missing Hulk 181 order?

CGC0123566736

This is the only information that I have from the operations manager regarding the missing Hulk 181 order:

I asked our claims department and they said that "We reimbursed the customer for it on 1/5."

They have been in contact. I can see their conversation logs where they discussed value and agreed upon a reimbursement price.

On 2/4/2024 at 4:05 PM, wombat said:

I don't think what CGC does fits any definition of mass production. 

They take a raw product, process it, encapsulate it, and then ship it out mainly to retailers who sell for a large markup compared to the raw goods. Pretty much the textbook definition of mass production.

On 2/3/2024 at 4:58 PM, Galen130 said:

Agreed!!  Greed is a major issue these days in so many facets of our current society, from the top on down.  This isn’t a surprise that CGC is, and has been, the same in this regard.  Truly sad and disgusting…😕😕

you-guys-buy-autographs-from-dealers-rumored-to-mix-in-fakes.....but-dont-listen-to-me,only-done-graphs-25yrs,go-ahead-and-take-the-chance

"getting into bed with substantiated scammers"

redditor "fakeautographs" says PSA looks the other way with $$$ when a big shot client wants to get dubious graphs authenticated   

Edited by postersandstuff

On 2/6/2024 at 2:03 PM, Aman619 said:

It’s weird so many think that a the title as President of only one of many separate divisions of a larger endeavor (that performs the same functions for the clients of each of the collectibles they grade and slab ) would or should be responsible for all aspects of his particular specialty. Like how and where to store or access client books. Or setting up his OWN methods for these things differently from the other collectibles. Matt has been at CGC for like 10 years. It was set up and run for ten years before he got there. They trust him to be head grader, oversee pressing, the Pedigree efforts, create new holders, launch more slab hobbies as well as numerous marketing efforts. etc   

My point is that if CCG has problems with their in-house systems etc  it will and has always been addressed at higher levels as a coordinated effort than the honorary title of “President” of ONE of CCGs many divisions is tasked with. Matt is a comics guy, not a suit. The suits are tasked with making changes necessary to prevent these abuses based on division heads’ input. There will always be some seeking to game the system. It’s how you deal with these things. No system will ever be foolproof. 

I know this is a chatboard and we can write what we want and vent and complain and scream bloody murder. But golly, I just shake my head reading so many comments here when these issues arise. 

There are any number of reasons why "Suits" run organizations even when people more familiar with the product work for the company, and why CEOs and Presidents are let go when things go badly.                                    

On 2/17/2024 at 11:29 AM, shadroch said:

There are any number of reasons why "Suits" run organizations even when people more familiar with the product work for the company, and why CEOs and Presidents are let go when things go badly.                                    

sure, but that isn't happening here... The errors here were never under Matt's scope or control.

On 2/15/2024 at 5:26 PM, Badger said:

They take a raw product, process it, encapsulate it, and then ship it out mainly to retailers who sell for a large markup compared to the raw goods. Pretty much the textbook definition of mass production.

[all emphasis mine]

"Mass production, also known as flow production or continuous production, is the production of substantial amounts of standardized products in a constant flow, including and especially on assembly lines." - Wikipedia

"Mass production is the manufacturing of large quantities of standardized products, often using assembly lines or automation technology. Mass production facilitates the efficient production of a large number of similar products." Investopedia

"Mass production, application of the principles of specialization, division of labour, and standardization of parts to the manufacture of goods. Such manufacturing processes attain high rates of output at low unit cost, with lower costs expected as volume rises. Mass production methods are based on two general principles: (1) the division and specialization of human labour and (2) the use of tools, machinery, and other equipment, usually automated, in the production of standard, interchangeable parts and products." Britannica

"mass production noun: production of goods in considerable quantities usually by machinery" Merriam-Webster

When they start putting out slabs without certification numbers then maybe they fit the definition of "mass production." Otherwise it's not even close.

On 2/15/2024 at 2:58 AM, sd2416 said:

Im not talking about that.  I was also told they would keep looking for it and if found it would be sent to me.  You have thieves handling these books.  All I asked was is it possible they handled my missing book. Yes or no?  Tell the operations manager to not be a ___ . If he didn't want to be bombarded with questions and emails, he should have kept a better eye on his employees.  Not directed at you, @CGC Mike.  Again, forward that to the operations manager.  You have my phone number and email if he wants to talk. 

I have the same question about my ff5 some one stated grading it on the 28 of july and put it back a few hours later and did not report it missing that happen a few weeks later...been asking what happen if they talked to the person no answer yet, cgc want to give me the 400 I just want my book. 

They say its not with stolen books so I hope it can be found

On 2/18/2024 at 5:10 AM, Samlarn72 said:

I have the same question about my ff5 some one stated grading it on the 28 of july and put it back a few hours later and did not report it missing that happen a few weeks later...been asking what happen if they talked to the person no answer yet, cgc want to give me the 400 I just want my book. 

They say its not with stolen books so I hope it can be found

Wait, so CGC has told you that your FF5 has been "missing" since July of 2023 and they cannot locate it going on 8 months later but they are confident it was not stolen.

Sounds like BS to me.

On 2/18/2024 at 1:16 AM, ttfitz said:

[all emphasis mine]

"Mass production, also known as flow production or continuous production, is the production of substantial amounts of standardized products in a constant flow, including and especially on assembly lines." - Wikipedia

"Mass production is the manufacturing of large quantities of standardized products, often using assembly lines or automation technology. Mass production facilitates the efficient production of a large number of similar products." Investopedia

"Mass production, application of the principles of specialization, division of labour, and standardization of parts to the manufacture of goods. Such manufacturing processes attain high rates of output at low unit cost, with lower costs expected as volume rises. Mass production methods are based on two general principles: (1) the division and specialization of human labour and (2) the use of tools, machinery, and other equipment, usually automated, in the production of standard, interchangeable parts and products." Britannica

"mass production noun: production of goods in considerable quantities usually by machinery" Merriam-Webster

When they start putting out slabs without certification numbers then maybe they fit the definition of "mass production." Otherwise it's not even close.

"substantial amounts"

"large quantities"

"considerable quantities"

I'm not picking a side here. I just want to point out that all those terms are very subjective.

On 2/18/2024 at 12:58 PM, Badger said:

Mass production means "without serial numbers" is the definition you are touting? I'll give you a minute to think that through.

(shrug)

How many serialized Ford Mustangs are mass produced each year? Roughly 50,000. Does CGC produce more serialized slabbed comics? Yes. As to your focusing on division and specialization of human labor, well, in this case, it is the graders that are separated from the restoration expert, which is separated, from QA, and then packaging and shipping. Mustangs are largely built by robot. Does this mean they are no longer mass produced? Of course not. If the doors were still attached by a human, who had to attach a minimum of 40 doors a day, would that suddenly become custom craftmanship? No. it would not.

Mass production is an assembly of parts into a finished product using specialization of labor and tools.  Lamborghini, where they can produce a few cars a month, is custom craftmanship. CGC is mass production and that is why the head scratching production errors occur. How can a comic be sealed into a case wall without anyone noticing? Mass Production. This is not a bunch of people lovingly examining your most prized collectible. This is a bunch of labor focused on turning out as much product, sealed and graded comic books, as possible.

Seriously, it would be impossible for CGC to churn out as many slabs as they do in a year if they were not using principles of mass production. How is this even an argument?

... you might also mention that mass production has been around long before automation or robotics. Just because an industry doesn't utilize automation, doesn't mean that it can't or won't at some point. For example, crab meat is picked by hand, even though automation exists, because the human, for now, yields superior quality. In China, for example, jobs that can automated aren't, because they have a manpower surplus, and need to keep people busy. I worked in manufacturing for 2 decades and don't need a definition of it anyway. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu