• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2024 CGC Grading Contest Season 3 Winter Edition (#9) Round 4
9 9

156 posts in this topic

My brain: No way can these books all be same grade :tonofbricks:

:takeit: the 5 points with a contest total of 22. The staple tears on the GR #54 really killed me on this round.

Blackouts #3 - 4.5

Glamorous Romances #54 - 4.0

Famous Funnies #89 - 4.5

Pep Comics #87 - 5.0

Obie #1  - 5.5

Now if I ever come across a box of GA comics at a garage sale, I will confidently tell the seller who has priced them as if they are 8.0 or better, "Sorry, pal, but these are ALL 5.0!"

Of course... the way I grade GA comics, that means I'm looking at a bunch of 7.5 beauties!!

On 2/10/2024 at 9:34 PM, Ride the Tiger said:

Yep congrats to you too whatever happens. It's been fun either way.

So your icon looks like... Boris The Bear..... Comic Book.... back from the late 80's or something like that ....is that right ?   Also the issue looks like a play on The Punisher ...is that right ?   What issue is that ?   I have the first 3 issues I think of Boris The Bear if I remember correctly but I don't remember this Punisher issue.........I need to get them out ...I haven't looked at them in years.......What a Classic Icon you have .............Oh Ya  ... Congrats also if you end up winning.

On 2/11/2024 at 10:52 AM, misterrmystery said:

I graded the Glamorous Romances a 3.5 due to the large staple tears. I can't see anywhere near a 5.0 for that book but maybe it's just me. 

It's a "weak" 5.0.  No CVS sticker on that slab.

On 2/11/2024 at 12:06 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

I spotted the final round mid-grade gold contrivance straight away - the organiser's apparent 'up yours' response to those of us who have fed back that there have been too many mid-grade golds over the last two contests (16 golds this time, 14 grading between 4.0 and 6.0). I submitted all 4.5s as I couldn't see some of them going higher even with the bump. Five points that could so easily have been five bulls.

The R3 moderate finger bend description mistakes cost me dear, so I finish this contest on 25 points and will likely now fall out of the top ten for all contests. Had I gone with all 5.0s this round, I just might have managed to stay in. Ah well. All good fun.

You were still too far ahead of me!  I felt those last two rounds were pretty harsh.  It really does make you second guess your initial thoughts of the grade (except that Glamorous Romance with the massive cover tears - I graded that one right).

On 2/11/2024 at 9:25 AM, Point Five said:

I like it! I might have cashed out too. I think for $1.50 CGC can give you a “YES, THIS IS A COMIC BOOK“ prescreen.

I think the other company does that.  lol

On 2/10/2024 at 5:06 PM, AJD said:

3 points for me. I figured they were all the same grade and thought 4.5 most likely, but bought 'insurance' by grading two of them a notch higher.

I started at 4.5 for the first 3, then thought I must be in a rut and started scrutinizing all books  ( = overthinking)

On 2/11/2024 at 4:28 AM, Cman429 said:

Very tricky CGC! I had 4.5 for every book in my first impression pass through but then thought, “surely they wouldn’t give us 5 books all the same grade!” so went back and adjusted a few up & down to my detriment.

I should’ve known that knowing what they’d think I’d know would be exactly what they wanted me to think I knew. Ya know?

Exactly my experience

On 2/11/2024 at 1:26 PM, Ahsoka Tano Jedi Apprentice said:

So your icon looks like... Boris The Bear..... Comic Book.... back from the late 80's or something like that ....is that right ?   Also the issue looks like a play on The Punisher ...is that right ?   What issue is that ?   I have the first 3 issues I think of Boris The Bear if I remember correctly but I don't remember this Punisher issue.........I need to get them out ...I haven't looked at them in years.......What a Classic Icon you have .............Oh Ya  ... Congrats also if you end up winning.

Yep it's the Boris the Bear/Punisher story. Can't remember what issue it was. I had a bunch of Boris back in the day and enjoyed reading whacky stuff rather than the super hero thing. Tick was my favorite but you always had to wait forever for a new issue. Unfortunately I got rid of my collection after the great 90s crash. 

On 2/11/2024 at 5:03 PM, Ride the Tiger said:

Yep it's the Boris the Bear/Punisher story. Can't remember what issue it was. I had a bunch of Boris back in the day and enjoyed reading whacky stuff rather than the super hero thing. Tick was my favorite but you always had to wait forever for a new issue. Unfortunately I got rid of my collection after the great 90s crash. 

Boris the Bear 13 for the Punisher issue. #6 also had a Batman homage and includes the first published artwork by Rob Liefeld (who recently announced his retirement...).

Edited by Jesse-Lee

• Administrator

We have a 3 way tie for 1st place.  I am going to hold off for a while today before I start a tiebreaker round, in   case there is an error in the spreadsheet.  If you spot an error, please let me know immediately.