• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Glad I Walked Away

24 posts in this topic

On 3/9/2024 at 3:05 PM, Stefan_W said:

A lot of discussion focuses on drops in prices and how we have overpaid for books.

Where precisely is all this discussion? I don't see it in the Golden or Silver Age forums.

On 3/9/2024 at 3:05 PM, Stefan_W said:

However, people who sold during the height of the comic boom may have done really well. This thread is to show examples of books that you may have had trouble parting with at the time, but that you are super glad you walked away from before prices crashed. 

I picked a couple of examples where I had multiple books that I am lucky to have sold off while prices were high. 

What year was the "height of the boom"? When did prices "crash"? Was this a general crash bringing down prices of Golden and Silver Age comics considered "keys" by certain observers (generally those with a vested interest of touting those comics) or does your narrative apply mainly to moderns like the Heir to the Empire comic you mentioned?

I'm asking because prices still look really high to me compared to even ten years ago.

???

Edited by Hepcat

On 3/9/2024 at 11:58 PM, Hepcat said:

Where precisely is all this discussion? I don't see it in the Golden or Silver Age forums.

What year was the "height of the boom"? When did prices "crash"? Was this a general crash bringing down prices of Golden and Silver Age comics considered "keys" by certain observers (generally those with a vested interest of touting those comics) or does your narrative apply mainly to moderns like the Heir to the Empire comic you mentioned?

I'm asking because prices still look really high to me compared to even ten years ago.

???

Relative to the peak during 2021 and 2022 (depending on the book), almost every single key issue from Silver, Bronze, and Copper Age has dropped by 50% (some more, some less). Yes, almost all of those keys are still more valuable than pre covid. 

???

I would be shocked if no one who collects Golden and Silver Age comics noticed a big spike in value during the height of the pandemic. It did not have the same impact across all books, with rare books with very few sales not experiencing the roller coaster (i.e., gotta have sales during that time period to see the rise and fall), but it is not as though I am just pulling random stuff out of places the sun doesn't shine. If you look at a longer time frame (like 10 years, as you suggest) the market looks more like normal with a big blip followed by prices correcting - but that big blip in prices did happen, and people bought and sold even when the market was really high. 

If you are curious about how the comic boom impacted upon the values of books you love I would highly recommend doing a search for You Tube videos on the topic. There are good ones that break it down by category such as Modern, Silver, Golden, etc. 

What year was the "height of the boom"?

June 21, 2021. 

When did prices "crash"?

March 30, 2023

Was this a general crash bringing down prices of Golden and Silver Age comics considered "keys" by certain observers (generally those with a vested interest of touting those comics) or does your narrative apply mainly to moderns like the Heir to the Empire comic you mentioned?

See above. 

IMG_0255.jpeg

IMG_0256.jpeg

Silver, Bronze and Copper all really started the down leg in Spring of 2021.   Silver had a Fall rally but started a more robust decline in Spring 2022.

On 3/9/2024 at 8:58 PM, Hepcat said:

???

here is a whole multi-year thread if you want to waste some hours.  

Getting back to original topic - I had about 7 childhood copies of Star/Marvel Masters of the Universe #1.    Submitted all to CGC and 6 came back 9.8 back in early 2021.   Kept 1 for myself and sold the other 5 9.8s for around $450 each.     Current 90 day is around $175.    Not a huge book so I am making up the impact on volume :) 

IMG_3865.thumb.jpeg.2caa1c90501991343eae0e65a7295264.jpeg

Posted (edited)

I was not going to include these since I got only the tail end of the comic boom when prices were already slipping, but here are some Silvers I sold at the end of 2022. Better late than never, and super happy to move on when I did.

Silver Surfer 1 CGC 3.5 
Sold in 2022 for $445
Current GPA value: $360-370

X-Men 10 CGC 8.0
Sold in 2022 for $1027
Last GPA sale was$375, but typically go for about $600

ToS 77 CGC 8.0
Sold in 2022 for $333
Typically got for less than half that now

Silver Surfer 3 CGC 8.5
Sold in 2022 for $1550
Current GPA value approx $850 (last sale was bigger)

Journey into Mystery Annual 1 CGC 6.0
Sold in 2022 for $424
Current GPA value $350

Ghost Rider 1 CGC 7.0
Sold in 2022 for $485
Current GPA value $350-ish

The Surfer 2 CGC 8.5 roughly held value but still happy to have moved on in a tough market.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

5.JPG

Edited by Stefan_W

This thread should be named like 'I was lucky that I let it go'. Glad I walked away means more like a dealer was offering to you Usagi Yojimbo 9.8 for 900$ two years ago but you decided not to buy it.

On 3/10/2024 at 3:58 AM, mattn792 said:

I wish I could say my JIM 85, but the damn thing has never gone back down in price.

First I thought that this was the first Thor but 1st Loki. If you made some money from it I would be happy. That book will be -50% in two years max.

Edited by godzilla43

On 3/10/2024 at 2:47 PM, Hepcat said:

(shrug) 

MAYBE IT ISN'T POSSIBLE to sum up 2 years of falling prices in only a couple of posts ???

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 3/10/2024 at 7:17 PM, Hepcat said:

I was being abstruse to make a related point , i.e. market "correction" or not prices are still beyond belief.

:juggle:

No worries. It took me a minute lol

Long day :cheers:

In other news, the value seems to be dropping for the second year in a row. Unless it is just more of the same or stabilizing, then it is old hat too.

Seems a lot of other things are stresses too. Probably should take a day off from it myself. :)

Edited by ADAMANTIUM