• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this a legit cgc case ? Star wars #1 35 cent variant and Ironman Sub Mariner #1
6 6

42 posts in this topic

I've been staring at these for about 10 minutes now, comparing them to other copies - and I can't be for sure without looking at them directly - but it appears these might be high resolution color copies on dummy books. The typography on the back cover of Star Wars 1 is plugging (meaning that the sharpness of the edges of the letterforms are growing into themselves and appearing thicker). It seems to be a consistent issue with what I am looking on both sides of the cover. Things like 'APR' in the date box have rounded edges on the letterforms - this is usually what happens when you make a copy of something. The sharp crisp edges get rounded on smaller details.

This IMSM raw has nice, crisp letters in the date box:

image-0(1).thumb.jpg.d86a6bb05e0e49cc2212433811ebef71.jpg

The questionable one has type issues in the same place:

Screenshot_20240314_092627_eBay.thumb.jpg.f5c7939c3bb91751f254b99cb65cd80e.thumb.jpg.1e87a4d1792317e946b88b1f53c0656f.jpg

However - this could also be attributed to the user over-Photoshopping/Filtering/Sharpening the image for display purposes. Running a bunch of color/contrast/etc enhancements on an image can also have this effect.

Edited by Dr. Balls

Looking at a bunch of images online, I can't find any legit copies where Iron Man's left foot isn't at least slightly cut off at the bottom. Also, the legit copies all have some paper space remaining to the right of the comic code stamp. The fake has his entire foot and even some rock under it and the comic code stamp is at the very right edge.

Of course Ebay would say it doesn't violate their policy...they make money off fraudulent items as well as contraband, so why would they care,,they are incredibly corrupt

Edited by Ed Hanes

On 3/14/2024 at 5:13 PM, Ed Hanes said:

Of course Ebay would say it doesn't violate their policy...they make money off fraudulent items as well as contraband, so why would they care,,they are incredibly corrupt

Very true. I know they had to pay a healthy fine to the DEA for allowing pill presses to be sold, so yeah, not surprising. 

On 3/14/2024 at 5:13 PM, Ed Hanes said:

They'd also rather go through the sale and deal with the eventual claim and refund just so they can have your money for a little while.

On 3/14/2024 at 6:16 PM, awakeintheashes said:

Very true. I know they had to pay a healthy fine to the DEA for allowing pill presses to be sold, so yeah, not surprising. 

You don't want to arrest the crook BEFORE he commits the crime. Let the seller sell this fake chit and then throw the book at him.

On 3/14/2024 at 6:26 PM, grendel013 said:

You don't want to arrest the crook BEFORE he commits the crime. Let the seller sell this fake chit and then throw the book at him.

Well…since those pill presses are being used to make fake adderall, often with fentanyl in it, I’d like to think they’d want to shut those down like Amazon and others did. But eBay going to eBay

Edited by awakeintheashes

• Administrator
On 3/14/2024 at 2:54 PM, awakeintheashes said:

Yeah, I spoke with the seller. Pretty sure that is what happened. 

I'm Glad to see he ended the listings.

On 3/14/2024 at 8:24 PM, CGC Mike said:

I'm Glad to see he ended the listings.

Yeah, he was definitely duped by someone. Possibly the same people who duped the other pawnshop.

I encouraged him to follow these boards if he’s going to deal with graded books or comics in general.  

On 3/14/2024 at 7:19 PM, Domo Arigato said:

Ebay seller seems like an honest guy that got duped with these fakes.  Before these listings were canceled, he posted the following note to each auction:

"Please do not bid. I believe this is a fake.  I am trying to cancel this auction but ebay wants to charge me over 100 dollars to cancel,even if its because its a fake !.  If you already bid please retract your bid.  I would like the auction to end with no bids.  If someone does win I will contact them and have them cancel the sale.  I have been on ebay a long time and don't want to sell fakes and ruin my name.  Thanks"

It's possible he just doesn't deal much with graded comic books.  

Sympathy for the seller who got duped, and much deserved kudos for ending the auction and being a straight-up dude.